GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 22 19, 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: July 31 17, 10:01 am 
just can't quit you.

lukethedrifter wrote:
Leroy wrote:
I don't remember taking a strong stand for the idea that corporations shouldn't be held responsible for the ridiculous amounts of malfeasance they commit on behalf of their shareholders, but I guess it can be implied because all conservatives are crooked.

Fairly predictable response. Instead why don't you tell why you oppose unions.

When I worked in a grocery store, I had to work twice as hard when I worked with a certain guy with Union seniority. He knew he was protected by the union, so he did the bare minimum and was untouchable. I, on the other hand, being the low man on the totem pole, had to bust my ass to get the stuff done.

Also, I had been working in the produce department for 2 years when another clerk, one who had been hired 3 days before I was way back when we were both baggers, got moved in to the department, since he had 3 days more seniority, he was put ahead of me on the schedule, and I lost hours and money to him. I was told by my union, since I was part time, they wouldn't help me, even though I paid my Union dues every week.

I don't oppose unions, I think they have done far more good for the workers, but I can see why some people are not fans.

PostPosted: July 31 17, 10:08 am 
a bad penny always turns up

Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Oh, Ok.

I oppose the fact that a portion of my union dues goes to advance political causes that I don't believe in.
I oppose any union that uses whatever tactics it deems necessary to entice members to join.
I also oppose the fact that unions (and I blame the corporations or businesses for this also) for pushing increases in wages that are not really sustainable.
I also oppose the fact that unions (and I blame the corporations or businesses for this also) for pushing increases in pensions that are unsustainable. Eventually the bills come due on the above two points, and where does that money come from when it isn't there?
I oppose the fact that such a large portion of union dues goes to the head of the union and lobbying organizations. And guess what, I oppose that on the part of the businesses too.
I oppose the fact that some unions want citizenship granted to illegal immigrants. It seems that there is no other reason for this than swelling union ranks, thus swelling union dues income.
I oppose the fact that under the guise of worker protection, I was unable to do something like change a light bulb at my postal job. I would have to call a maintenance person to do this task. Now why do you suppose that is? Job security it seems.

I joined the postal union for no other reason than I am proud of the US Postal Service. My dad built a decent life working for them. But I had my reservations. I guess that makes me bad.

The above can be dismissed like everything else I type.

So I go from saying I oppose unions to being called a corporate shill to having to explain my position on unions. I have. Now what will we move to? You may be able to predict my comments, but I have no idea what you will throw at me next.

PostPosted: July 31 17, 10:54 am 
Hall Of Famer

Leroy wrote:
Oh, Ok.

I also oppose the fact that unions (and I blame the corporations or businesses for this also) for pushing increases in wages that are not really sustainable.
I also oppose the fact that unions (and I blame the corporations or businesses for this also) for pushing increases in pensions that are unsustainable. Eventually the bills come due on the above two points, and where does that money come from when it isn't there?

It would be a crummy union that started out asking for less out of concern for the company's books. That's what negotiations are for.

PostPosted: July 31 17, 10:56 am 
Snayke's Bottomline

Leroy wrote:
I oppose the fact that a portion of my union dues goes to advance political causes that I don't believe in.

So unfair. Can you imagine if there were people whose labor was used to generate a profit for a company and some of that profit went to advancing political causes they don't believe in?

PostPosted: July 31 17, 11:05 am 

I didn't say it was unfair. I said I oppose it.

If you don't like my answers, stop asking me stuff.

PostPosted: July 31 17, 11:07 am 

ghostrunner wrote:
Leroy wrote:
Oh, Ok.

It would be a crummy union that started out asking for less out of concern for the company's books. That's what negotiations are for.

That's why I said I blame the companies too. Maybe you didn't see that it was between ().

PostPosted: July 31 17, 11:23 am 
Hall Of Famer

Leroy wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
Leroy wrote:
Oh, Ok.

That's why I said I blame the companies too. Maybe you didn't see that it was between ().

I see it, I just don't accept the premise that unions bear responsibility for knowing or deciding whether a wage is sustainable.

PostPosted: July 31 17, 11:35 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Does anyone ever ask if a profit is "sustainable"? Or if the worker, environment, citizen get harmed in the chase for greater and greater return for the stockholders and the quest for max compensation for the execs?

PostPosted: July 31 17, 12:01 pm 
just can't quit you.

Farewell Friends wrote:
Leroy wrote:

So unfair. Can you imagine if there were people whose labor was used to generate a profit for a company and some of that profit went to advancing political causes they don't believe in?

Isn't that what boycotts are for?

PostPosted: July 31 17, 12:17 pm 
Snayke's Bottomline

wart57 wrote:
Isn't that what boycotts are for?

I don't think most people are in position to boycott their job!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next