The Car Discussion Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: The Car Discussion Thread

Post by cardinalkarp »

Radbird wrote:What's the best way to sell a car? Autotrader, Craigslist, eBay?
I'd probably stay away from Craigslist, just too much BS and dumb questions. I've never dealt w/ a large transaction like that on ebay, but you're likely to get TONS of questions as well.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I've sold many cars on craigslist with ease.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:I've sold many cars on craigslist with ease.
I'm not typically on the sellers end of the transactions, I can just imagine you get a lot of questions you have to respond to

Fat_Bulldog

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

cardinalkarp wrote:
I'm not typically on the sellers end of the transactions, I can just imagine you get a lot of questions you have to respond to
It's pretty simple. Come out and look at the vehicle and drive it and see for yourself. If you like it and it fits what you're looking for and your budget, make me an offer.

I don't usually mess around with people who want to ask a billion questions but don't want to commit to seeing / driving the vehicle.

This weeds out many of the idiots.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Best mid- to full-size SUV under 10k?

2007 or newer.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
It's pretty simple. Come out and look at the vehicle and drive it and see for yourself. If you like it and it fits what you're looking for and your budget, make me an offer.

I don't usually mess around with people who want to ask a billion questions but don't want to commit to seeing / driving the vehicle.

What price do you list? KBB private party?

Fat_Bulldog

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Radbird wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:

What price do you list? KBB private party?
That's a good starting point.

I would price it a bit above what you'd like to get out of it. People want to feel like they've won negotiations. Gives you wiggle room to do that.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Car repair advice sought!

My check engine light came on. Went to Autozone and they hooked it up to their computer. O2 sensor. Called Suntrup Ford for a service appointment. They said I could forgo the diagnostic check and just have them replace the sensor, or I could pay $130 and have them diagnose it properly. And the $130 would not be applied to the cost of the repair. Is that normal??? Should I go somewhere else?

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Well, it sounds like they are just trying to put doubt in your mind about AutoZone's tester.

They're saying if you want to listen to what the code told you and just fix the O2 sensor (since that's the code it threw) they will do that (but your check engine light may/may not go off) or they can diagnose it for $130 using their computers and it still might just be the O2 sensor, but we're going to bill you $130 for what Autozone just told you for free.

Avoid dealers.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

cardinalkarp wrote:Well, it sounds like they are just trying to put doubt in your mind about AutoZone's tester.

They're saying if you want to listen to what the code told you and just fix the O2 sensor (since that's the code it threw) they will do that (but your check engine light may/may not go off) or they can diagnose it for $130 using their computers and it still might just be the O2 sensor, but we're going to bill you $130 for what Autozone just told you for free.

Avoid dealers.
Yeah. I've had not so great experiences with independent garages too. Of course, it's like any business, only as good as the people running it. I get that.

The problem is, if I understood the autozone guys right, there are multiple O2 sensors, and their tool didn't specify which one. So they'd be guessing. So I'm looking at a gamble if I don't pay the $130 (if I went to the dealer). If I go somewhere else, I gamble that they know what they're doing as well.