GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 20 19, 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: August 8 17, 12:28 pm 
has a link from 538 to share

Quote:
North Korea has successfully produced a miniaturized nuclear warhead that can fit inside its missiles, crossing a key threshold on the path to becoming a full-fledged nuclear power, U.S. intelligence officials have concluded in a confidential assessment.

The new analysis completed last month by the Defense Intelligence Agency comes on the heels of another intelligence assessment that sharply raises the official estimate for the total number of bombs in the communist country’s atomic arsenal. The U.S. calculated last month that up to 60 nuclear weapons are now controlled by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Some independent experts believe the number of bombs is much smaller.

Link

Basically, we've got no good options. They won, we lost. At this point I think we're going to have to start normalizing relations with them.

PostPosted: August 8 17, 12:40 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Michael wrote:
Basically, we've got no good options. At this point I think we're going to have to start normalizing relations with them.

Lindsay Graham thinks a pre-emptive strike would be a good idea.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/sen-lindsey-graham-trump-says-war-north-korea-option-n788396

I hope it goes without saying that this is an utterly appalling idea, and that it is terrifying that top U.S. leaders would seriously consider it.

Last edited by Arthur Dent on August 8 17, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 8 17, 12:41 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

This whole saga validates North Korea's strategy of getting nukes to keep the US from invading them. Iraq, no nukes, invaded. Afghanistan, no nukes, invaded. Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, etc. -- US backed regime change.

The message seems clear. Get nukes and the US won't invade you.

PostPosted: August 8 17, 12:43 pm 

Arthur Dent wrote:
Michael wrote:
Basically, we've got no good options. At this point I think we're going to have to start normalizing relations with them.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea/sen-lindsey-graham-trump-says-war-north-korea-option-n788396

I hope it goes without saying that this is utterly appalling idea, and that it is terrifying that top U.S. leaders would seriously consider it.

I don't see how any kind or pre-emptive strike is an option. Like 25,000 residents of Seoul get killed by artillery in a best case scenario.

PostPosted: August 8 17, 12:44 pm 

G. Keenan wrote:
This whole saga validates North Korea's strategy of getting nukes to keep the US from invading them. Iraq, no nukes, invaded. Afghanistan, no nukes, invaded. Libya, Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, etc. -- US backed regime change.

The strategy isn't exactly a secret. Once a country gets nukes they can pretty much stay at the big kids table no matter what they do.

PostPosted: August 8 17, 12:48 pm 

PostPosted: August 8 17, 12:50 pm 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:
Michael wrote:

I hope it goes without saying that this is utterly appalling idea, and that it is terrifying that top U.S. leaders would seriously consider it.

I don't see how any kind or pre-emptive strike is an option. Like 25,000 residents of Seoul get killed by artillery in a best case scenario.

They claim it's a good idea because, "If thousands die, they’re going to die over there. They’re not going to die here." Leaving aside that "thousands" is a huge understatement and whatever you might think about deciding you will condemn to death people "over there," there's no real reason to be optimistic conflict launched from the United States and touching off a likely nuclear exchange would stay "over there". Utterly vile and terrifying.

G. Keenan wrote:

Yup. No doubt about it.

Also, the U.S. Congress, as part of the recent Russia sanctions bill, just voted to violate our own nuclear deal that had created a framework that actually could keep nuclear weapons out of Iran.

Utterly stupid and terrible.

PostPosted: August 8 17, 1:47 pm 

Well this is good:

Quote:
“North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States,” Mr. Trump told reporters at his golf club in Bedminster, N.J. “They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen. He has been very threatening beyond a normal state and as I said they will be met with fire and fury and frankly power the likes of which this world has never seen before.”

PostPosted: August 8 17, 1:48 pm 
Consider him admonished

G. Keenan wrote:
Well this is good:

Quote:
“North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States,” Mr. Trump told reporters at his golf club in Bedminster, N.J. “They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen. He has been very threatening beyond a normal state and as I said they will be met with fire and fury and frankly power the likes of which this world has never seen before.”

PostPosted: August 8 17, 1:55 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

To all the people who "just couldn't stomach voting for Hillary:"
Voting has consequences.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next