Albert Pujols Is The Worst Player In Baseball

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
paskal
Veteran Player

Albert Pujols Is The Worst Player In Baseball

Post by paskal »

...so far this year, by WAR:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/al ... -baseball/

I still like him, wish he was doing better. Still have my #5 jersey.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Albert Pujols Is The Worst Player In Baseball

Post by heyzeus »

If you told me this, even just a few years ago when his decline was obvious, I would not have believed you. Not the guy I'd watched play for over a decade. At a minimum, I thought, is eye and on base skills would provide a floor for his value, even once the power diminished. He has a .274 OBP now.

It's sad yet impressive that he's putting up big negative WAR numbers without setting foot on the field, where negative defensive value can put you in the red. His -2 WAR is strictly from the bat alone.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I guess all those scouting reports that he would get too slow to play the game were correct. They just didn't account for the 10 years before it happened.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

heyzeus wrote:If you told me this, even just a few years ago when his decline was obvious, I would not have believed you. Not the guy I'd watched play for over a decade. At a minimum, I thought, is eye and on base skills would provide a floor for his value, even once the power diminished. He has a .274 OBP now.

It's sad yet impressive that he's putting up big negative WAR numbers without setting foot on the field, where negative defensive value can put you in the red. His -2 WAR is strictly from the bat alone.

Someone smarter on WAR than me can answer this for sure, but players do get some kind of WAR penalty for being DH only.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:If you told me this, even just a few years ago when his decline was obvious, I would not have believed you. Not the guy I'd watched play for over a decade. At a minimum, I thought, is eye and on base skills would provide a floor for his value, even once the power diminished. He has a .274 OBP now.

Someone smarter on WAR than me can answer this for sure, but players do get some kind of WAR penalty for being DH only.
Correct. His -2.0 fWAR this year is currently comprised of:

-4.0 BsR runs (on the bases)
-23.3 Off runs (hitting only)
-15.1 Def runs (DH positional adjustment)

There's still a month left in the season, so the positional adjustment will end up around -17 or -18 if he plays the rest of the way. So he's potentially not actually at his lowest WAR total for the year yet.

Johnconrad
Same Ole

Post by Johnconrad »

Hey mang... it's about R-E-S-P-E-C-T

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Swirls wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

There's still a month left in the season, so the positional adjustment will end up around -17 or -18 if he plays the rest of the way. So he's potentially not actually at his lowest WAR total for the year yet.
I get -42.4. I guess WAR doesn't work that way.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Swirls wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

I get -42.4. I guess WAR doesn't work that way.
runs, not wins. theres a conversion

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

And on cue he hits two bombs to tie Thome.
heyzeus wrote:If you told me this, even just a few years ago when his decline was obvious, I would not have believed you.
I fully expected injuries to end his career. Never expected him to make it to healthy ineptitude.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

pioneer98 wrote:

David Ortiz was +4.5 fWAR the year of his retirement parade.