Rhys Hoskins: A Guy To Know About

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Rhys Hoskins: A Guy To Know About

Post by Farewell Friends »

In the midst of another dumpy season in Philly, Rhys Hoskins -- a guy who won the Eastern League MVP and is known by fans who pay attention to more than just Top 100 lists -- has made history.
Yes, a 24-year-old who never showed up on a Top 100 list that I could find is hitting .290/.420/.722 with 15 homers in less than 140 plate appearances. BABIP you ask? Nope. It's only .265. He walks and strikes out at the same rates as Matt Carpenter. In other words, Hoskins is awesome.
Last edited by Farewell Friends on September 13 17, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

go birds
-go birds

Re: Rhys Hoskins: A Guy To Know About

Post by go birds »

the curse of being a 1B only prospect, but yea, he was seemingly always underrated.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Farewell Friends wrote:BABIP you ask? Nope. It's only .265.
It doesn't take away from your overall point, but of course his BABIP sucks - half of his hits are homers. It's basically identical to 2001 Bonds.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Juiced ball? Morrison, Smoak, hell--Molina. Lots of power this year.

Not to totally [expletive] on the guy, I'm just saying we're in a roid-y kind of year, and that could be a factor.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Bellinger's going to be ROTY but I think that DeJong and then Hoskins will be right behind him in the voting. Not sure if there is any other top contenders in the NL.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

JoeMcKim wrote:Bellinger's going to be ROTY but I think that DeJong and then Hoskins will be right behind him in the voting. Not sure if there is any other top contenders in the NL.
Bellinger for sure. Bell from the Pirates has had a good year too but overshadowed by the LA hype.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

haltz wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:BABIP you ask? Nope. It's only .265.
It doesn't take away from your overall point, but of course his BABIP sucks - half of his hits are homers. It's basically identical to 2001 Bonds.
Yeah, I just threw it out there since it's the reflexive thing to look at when a guy is playing out of his mind.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

CardsofSTL wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:Bellinger's going to be ROTY but I think that DeJong and then Hoskins will be right behind him in the voting. Not sure if there is any other top contenders in the NL.
Bellinger for sure. Bell from the Pirates has had a good year too but overshadowed by the LA hype.
So it'll be something like this:

1. Bellinger
2. Bell
3. DeJong

and Hoskins at either 4 or 5

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Hoskins only came out of nowhere if you follow prospects lists. Everyone who scouts the Phillies system loved him.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

jagtrader wrote:Hoskins only came out of nowhere if you follow prospects lists. Everyone who scouts the Phillies system loved him.
So basically, to the average fan or people who don't closely follow the Phillies system, Hoskins has come out of nowhere.