2017 Minor League Season

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2017 Minor League Season

Post by pioneer98 »

I went to the Chiefs @ Quad Cities game tonight. QC won 4-1. Austin Warner pitched for the Chiefs. I was unimpressed. He only had 1 strikeout in 6 innings, but no walks at least. He gave up 8 hits and he gave up a lot of loud outs. Evan Gattis is rehabbing with QC. He hit a laser to the SS who doubled a runner off second to get him out of a jam. Gattis later hit a line shot that I thought for sure was in the right-center gap but Nick Plummer ran it down and made a great catch. Gattis also K'd with the bases loaded in the 7th against Ronnie Williams.

QC's pitching was pretty impressive. They held the Chiefs to 3 hits. Stefan Trosclair hit a solo shot for the Chiefs' only run. Trosclair also walked twice. Cristian Javier threw 6 innings for QC and had 6 K's, 1 BB and allowed the 3 hits. Salvador Montano got a 3 inning save, allowing no hits, 4 K's and 1 BB. Montano is a lefty that was topping out at 93-94 with pretty good command. That's pretty tough at this level. At age 23 he's probably not much of a prospect but I could see him possibly being one of those journeyman relievers that finally make it at age 26 or something.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I didn't post about it but I did go to the Chiefs @ QC game on Friday. QC won 8-5. It was a weird game. QC actually was up 8-0 through 4 innings. The Chiefs chipped away and even got the tying run to the plate in the 8th, but couldn't capitalize. The only real bright spots for the Chiefs was Dewin Perez through 3 shutout innings in releif, and Kramer Robertson and Brian O'Keefe each had 2 hits.

QC moved on and just beat the Cedar Rapids Kernels to advance to the finals. So I get to see more playoff baseball this weekend.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Memphis' first game of the PCL Championship Series was delayed last night so they'll play tonight (Wednesday) and tomorrow (Thursday) around noon instead.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

It's not Cardinals related but I am excited that Quad Cities leads the Midwest League finals 2-0. They host game 3 (and 4 & 5 if needed). Win one, and they celebrate. They are still the Astros affiliate and they are playing the Padres affiliate.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Well, at least I got to see the Quad Cities team dominate the championship round. They won their 7th Midwest League championship tonight, and 3rd in the last 7 years. They swept the Fort Wayne Tin Caps 3-0, and scored in the first inning of all 3 games, never trailed. In tonight's game, they were up 9-0 after 2 innings. It was almost over almost before it started. The only player who played the entire season with them was Chuckie Robinson, a fan favorite who homered tonight.

Ronel Blanco started and threw 6 2/3 innings and had 10 K's against 0 BB's for the Bandits. Pretty much dominated.

Pretty good season. Pretty, pretty pretty good.

Biggest crowd of the MWL playoffs:
[SHOW]
The last out:

Baseball is good again.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Memphis AAA Champs.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Memphis [PCL] Champs.
FYP

62 different players. 22 made it to St. Louis. Only 4 stayed with the team all season long. Best team in Redbirds history. They play on Tuesday against Durham for the winner take all AAA championship.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Thank you. Don't know what I was thinking there.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Thank you. Don't know what I was thinking there.
Caught myself doing the same thing. I always forget they have that IL/PCL championship game now. Memphis is still AAA champs in their own league of course. Last time we played in this final (2009) we lost in 11 innings to the same team we will be playing this week (Durham).

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Memphis lost to Durham, 5-3.

Kolten Wong's brother, Kean, played a key role in the Bulls victory/Redbirds loss.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/tampa-ba ... -255125592