College hoops and the feds

A forum for non-baseball sports
Tim
Consider him admonished

College hoops and the feds

Post by Tim »

This is going to be good. Nothing shocking if you’ve followed college hoops but it ain’t the NCAA involved, it is the FBI. Heads will roll

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.clicko ... -updating-

tlombard
tl;dr

Re: College hoops and the feds

Post by tlombard »

College basketball coaches. The Feds. Before reading any of that, I'm not sure who to root for in this one other than mutual destruction.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

tlombard wrote:College basketball coaches. The Feds. Before reading any of that, I'm not sure who to root for in this one other than mutual destruction.
Well, one guy who may go boom is Rick Pitino. My university is so corrupt it might as well be run by Huey Long.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Here's Pat Forde of Yahoo! Sports (and a former writer for the Louisville Courier-Journal) calling for the death penalty for the program. https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-giv ... 30063.html

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

I love Pitino's quote when Bowen committed. "In 40 years this is the luckiest I've been."

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Anyone care to give a summation?

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Anyone care to give a summation?
Long story short, Louisville's accused of funneling money under the table ($100,000) to a star recruit, with Adidas playing a role. In a broader sense, there are bribery and wire fraud indictments against coaches at several schools involving a scheme to funnel star recruits to specific schools with a specific shoe contact, pay these athletes, and then get them to sign contracts with sports-management and financial-management companies after they graduate.

It's pretty bad. Louisville's program may get the death penalty for this.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

so it is illegal to take bribes to funnel people to the agents/companies? i'd have guessed that happened everywhere. seems like aau coaches probably guide athletes to colleges as well and i'd guess get kickbacks too. the whole system is corrupt, imo.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I am in complete shock that Pitino is in complete shock.

Hasn't Calipari been run out a cheater everywhere he's been? Now he has one of those revolving doors where the very best loop around and into the NBA. I'm surprised we haven't heard his name yet.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:I am in complete shock that Pitino is in complete shock.

Hasn't Calipari been run out a cheater everywhere he's been? Now he has one of those revolving doors where the very best loop around and into the NBA. I'm surprised we haven't heard his name yet.
Focus appears on Adidas execs right now, but Merl Code (ran Lebron’s camps) just switched to Adidas from Nike. When he starts singing all bets are off