Black Friday/Holiday Shopping

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Black Friday/Holiday Shopping

Post by Michael »

Diddy wrote:
Michael wrote:
Michael wrote: Google Home Mini - $30 dollars w $10 Gift Card - Target
So far I'm loving this little device. It's handy in the kitchen to set alarms and play music. In the morning a like to check the weather. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased the nicer one with the better speaker.
Not to pick it n you, but my stove and microwave have timers. My phone has a timer and plays music and I can check the weather. What does this do that I don’t already have something that it’ll do?
Valid question.

While I'm multitasking in the kitchen I don't have to stop to set the time or find music. Before my GHome I used my phone. Same with the weather while I'm getting ready for work.

Small conveniences, but I like it.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

cardinalkarp wrote:
Diddy wrote:
Michael wrote:
So far I'm loving this little device. It's handy in the kitchen to set alarms and play music. In the morning a like to check the weather. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased the nicer one with the better speaker.
Not to pick it n you, but my stove and microwave have timers. My phone has a timer and plays music. What does this do that I don’t already have something that it’ll do?
It spies on you :P
We joke but yesterday Chrome asked if it could record my voice - without me changing a setting or anything. This is getting downright creepy. I guess you could say "At least it asked."

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

cardinalkarp wrote:
Diddy wrote:
Michael wrote:
Not to pick it n you, but my stove and microwave have timers. My phone has a timer and plays music. What does this do that I don’t already have something that it’ll do?
It spies on you :P
My phone does that

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

We're getting a mini. Comes with a Nest thermostat right now. We currently have one of the first generation of programmable thermostats (as theorized by the guy who checks up on our HVAC). The guts look very TOS which I think is cool. Wife wanted a fancy nest though, and in MO right now you can get $125 back in rebates from Ameren and Spire/Laclede so it ended up being about $50. Came with a free Google Home mini. I'm a bit worried that it will spy on us, but I figure it will be nice when working in the kitchen with messy hands or when I want to listen to music while doing house maintenance. Does it need to stay plugged in to work? Should I make a faraday cage or something when not in use? Does that actually work?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Yes, it needs to stay plugged in. I have it in the corner of my kitchen counter. I don't keep it too close where I prep and cook so getting is dirty isn't a concern. I wouldn't keep it enclosed because using it would become a hassle.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Do you have to have a phone/tablet to make it work, or can you just talk to the device itself? I'm not getting a smartphone to make this thing work. (My wife can use hers if thats the case) I don't mind keeping it enclosed, I'll just pull it out when I want to use it. I got one of those little $35 Fire tablets a couple of years ago to listen to music/watch tv when cooking/cleaning/etc. When I want to use it I pull it out and use it. When I'm done I turn it off and put it away. Its like 8 seconds of hassle.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

You need a startphone/tablet to set it up. After that it's ready to go.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I went to Verizon for a new phone and they gave me one of those Google minis. Two years ago my boss gave us the Amazon Echo. Neither device has been removed from the box yet.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Thought I responded to this. We got it yesterday, the wife set it up. Its fine for what it is, basically a hands free radio/timer. Wouldn't have gotten it had it not come free with the nest. Keeping it unplugged unless in use.