sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Cardinals/Marlins Offseason Dance - aka Stanton Thread

Post by sighyoung »

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

as a fan that has b*tched and moaned about the cardinals lack of big moves or big spending, i think im off the stanton bandwagon.

he clearly doesnt want to be here and if by some weird chance he agrees to come here, hes opting out in 3 years.

throw some prospects for yelich (or ozuna) and sign a free agent bat and lets get it

misterManager
Everyday Player

Post by misterManager »

This [expletive] bananas. On the one hand it's been fun, but if it all comes down to Stanton playing chicken with his owners in Miami on the issue of LA, and that's the only way he's leaving Miami, just let it be over. Props for fighting for the labor side of the equation and all that, but the sense I'm getting is that the only side with any leverage is having a heyday just waiting for someone to blink and give him what he wants. Which again, by all means--but the guy is guaranteed at least 300M for the next ten years, and likely more if he'll just go play for someone half decent (STL) for three years and see what the road brings. Why sign a ten year deal in the first effing place if you think the people who own the contract are no good and not to be trusted with your well being? It's going to be a long wait till Monday/Tuesday.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

For having giant biceps, Stanton sure is spineless.

Debit One
AAA Minor League Player

Post by Debit One »

Were I the Marlins I would absolutely make a move to increase Stanton's sense of urgency.

Trade someone ... anyone ... to make it clear that you're willing to tear it down with him in place before taking a lousy deal from the Dodgers. Even better if it happens to be his best friend. See if that doesn't expand the list of teams to which he is willing to be traded.

If he still won't budge let him play the first half of the season on a Marlins team going nowhere and try to move him at the trade deadline. There is nothing lost by doing that as that team isn't winning in 2018, with or without him.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Debit One wrote:Were I the Marlins I would absolutely make a move to increase Stanton's sense of urgency.

Trade someone ... anyone ... to make it clear that you're willing to tear it down with him in place before taking a lousy deal from the Dodgers. Even better if it happens to be his best friend. See if that doesn't expand the list of teams to which he is willing to be traded.

If he still won't budge let him play the first half of the season on a Marlins team going nowhere and try to move him at the trade deadline. There is nothing lost by doing that as that team isn't winning in 2018, with or without him.
The only downside is public perception. Of course giving away your best player because you’re too cheap to pay him doesn’t exactly help that either.

Debit One
AAA Minor League Player

Post by Debit One »

This 2014 story by ESPN's Jerry Crasnick was certainly prophetic.
By buying into Loria's new "vision," Stanton has effectively forfeited his right to complain, grouse or otherwise critique the organizational direction. By taking the money, he has accepted the proposition that the Marlins can somehow pay him and summon the resources to build a winning team around him.

That might suffice when Jose Fernandez, Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna and the team's other core players are in the early, dirt-cheap phases of their careers. But as time passes and those players get more expensive, the likelihood of Stanton becoming a one-man band can only increase. The Marlins say they're intent on retaining much of their nucleus in the years to come. And we should believe this precisely why?

Check back in November of 2017 or '18 and see where things are then. Stanton's contract is probably back-loaded, and if the Marlins fail to live up to their end of the bargain, he has the ability to opt out around age 30. It's all about leverage as well as the money. Take a step beyond the smiles, and this union has all the warmth and good faith of a Kim Kardashian-Kris Humphries prenuptial agreement.

Soon enough the shock value and the glow from the announcement will fade, and the Marlins' attention will shift to winning games. Maybe the team's talented young roster will produce a playoff appearance or two. But eventually, and inevitably, talk will turn to Stanton and where he'll be playing baseball in the third act of his career. That's the best-case scenario. The alternative is that he gets injured or underperforms and decides to stick around and collect every last dollar of the $325 million owed him through 2027. That day is so far off, Mo'ne Davis might be part of the Miami starting rotation by then. But all decisions have consequences, and someone -- be it Jeffrey Loria or the franchise's next owner -- will have to deal with the cleanup.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1189 ... just-right

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Debit One wrote:Were I the Marlins I would absolutely make a move to increase Stanton's sense of urgency.

The only downside is public perception. Of course giving away your best player because you’re too cheap to pay him doesn’t exactly help that either.
That's MLB's fault for [expletive] letting this ownership group take over when they couldn't afford to keep the team payroll where it currently was, just because they wanted Cap'n Jetes to still be involved in baseball. They should have granted ownership to that other guy that put in a claim who was a local billionaire and was an actual fan of the team - he could have done some good for the Marlins.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

The number of people who would apparently go to war to support ownership screwing their employees out of any leverage over their own lives, in this thread even, is sort of disappointing.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Debit One wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
The trade is complex because they have to appease Giancarlo, appease the Marlins, and probably appease the Players Union & the Commish.
Sure, if Stanton won't come to STL unless his opt out is moved up then he has to be appeased to get him into a Cards uniform.

However, that certainly diminishes his value and therefore should result in a reduction in what STL is willing to give to the Marlins. The Marlins can and should then look at that vs. return available to them if the sell off other pieces (specifically, Ozuna and Yelich) and decide what is best for them.

The Cards are in the market for what the Marlins are looking to shed, whether that be Stanton, Ozuna, or Yelich. I think it's wrong to see this as Stanton or bust. Sure, I like the idea of Stanton in STL but if it's Stanton for 2 years or Yelich for 5+ I'll take the Yelich deal.
I think there are a lot of people in that same boat (re Yelich), including myself.