The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by Fat Strat »

Bacon acted as an insulator, I guess. Stealing the heat from the outside and not letting anything through.

I did two pork tenderloins last night. Came out pretty good. I've been consistently finishing things up in the oven to either crisp up the outside and/of keep things from drying out. Did the same with really thick cut pork chops last week. I get everything withing 10 or so degrees of done and then into a much hotter oven -- 400 degrees last night -- until they come up to temp. Then cover and let everything rest.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Brisket been smoking since dawn. Was marinated. Wrapped it after 2 hours. The chilly weather keeping it slow. Going to be on 10 hrs for 8 lbs.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Freed Roger wrote:Brisket been smoking since dawn. Was marinated. Wrapped it after 2 hours. The chilly weather keeping it slow. Going to be on 10 hrs for 8 lbs.
So... how did it come out?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

My wife really isn't a pork type of person. But, for Christmas we received one of those pre-cooked/smoked/cured hams. About 7 pounds I'd guess. So, I threw it on the smoker for a couple hours. It was a cold and windy day, so it took about 3 hours just to get it to 100 internally. I threw it in the oven for an hour at 350 and got it up to 125ish. Took it out and sliced it and it was awesome. Some of hte best ham I've ever eaten. Not exactly a lot of work because it's already cooked and htere's only so much smoke you can throw on the skin. Hardly any of it is getting into the meat. Still very good.

And, I love ham. We've made omelettes, ham and egg sandwiches, ham and melted swiss cheese sandwiches. Probably gonna have to do that more often.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

tlombard wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Brisket been smoking since dawn. Was marinated. Wrapped it after 2 hours. The chilly weather keeping it slow. Going to be on 10 hrs for 8 lbs.
So... how did it come out?
The butcher marinated it in something. The cold temps helped slow it down. brinkman tube charcoal smoker. Used soaked apple wood chips for the smoke. There was a streak of fat in the middle that cooked down. Slice it sort of thin. So good.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm drooling at my desk right now.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Over the weekend I entered into the first bbq competition of my life and it was....something.

First off, if you ever think you're a fanatic, just go to one of these things and you'll learn the definition of the word. I bet some of these people spend 10s of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, doing this stuff. And this wasn't even a KCBS event. Further, it's not just the money they spend, but how grueling the process is.

Here's the jist of my timeline which consists of a simple weber smoker, tables, fans, bbq stuff, etc. Keep in mind, a lot of people have smokers on trailers which would involve trailering it with a separate vehicle.

Friday:
10AM: Load up all my [expletive]
Noon: Meet up with rest of team
2PM: Get to and drop off all our [expletive], camper, unload trailers, smokers, meat, coolers, etc.
4PM: Set up camper, canopy, etc.
6PM: Cook burgers, drink beer, etc. This is actually nice.
10PM: More beer and what not

Saturday;
1AM: Prep Pork Butt
2AM: Fire up smoker
3AM: Get butt on and attend to smoker
4AM: Sleep
5:30 AM: Get up becasue head hurts and no where ot sleep comfortably. Put on breakfast casserole. Go to McDs to drop a deuce and get some coffee. It was coming back from McD's when I experienced hell on earth. I mean this asphalt parking lot is loaded with probably 100+ smokers, maybe 200+, all billowing out smoke. It looks like a war zone. And, while one smoker can smell sweet, the combination of hundreds of them combined smells like death. Especially when none of the meat is anywhere near cooked. And your head is pounding from a combo of too much smoke/allergies/beer and lack of sleep.
7AM: Get the casserole off. Check the butts. Etc. Try to find bloody mary or bc powder to make head stop pounding.
9AM: Prep ribs
10AM: Get bloody mary and put ribs on
1015AM: Puke
1030AM: Finally start feeling like a human being again, sleep for 15 minutes
11AM: Check butts/ribs
12AM: Rap ribs and butts
1PM: Prep chicken
130PM: Put on chicken
230-330:Pull meat off and prepare for presentation to judges
430-6:Awards and stuff
6-830:Pack up everything

It was both awesome and terrible all at the same time. Definitely something I'd not recommend unless you absolutely love to bbq or have a team that is going to carry you. But, at the same time, we made some awesome food, placed in some areas, and had a good time.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Congrats. And definitely something you'd not recommend. Lol.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Cool stuff!

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I'd like to hear that butt and ribs rap!

:wink: