GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 20 19, 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: January 11 18, 8:10 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Mods?

PostPosted: January 11 18, 8:30 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

yep. Bring back Matt Blunt, and Kinder!

MO republicans...

Last edited by Freed Roger on January 11 18, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 11 18, 8:54 am 

Tim wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Tim wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Don't know how "monstrous" it is, but Greitens had an affair.

Edit: ok, took a nude picture of her while she was blindfolded to use as blackmail. Monster.

whats his religiosity ?

Jewish per wiki

Did you guys know he was a Navy Seal?

No. To be frank I don't follow Missouri politics all that closely.

You don't really need to follow Missouri politics if at all familiar with Wisconsin, Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina etc etc etc or even the Trump WH. MO loves Trump. Greitens emulates Trump. Greitens, like Trump was a democrat -when it served his ambitions.

Not to say the dems are these great people in MO (as mentioned, Greitens was one) - but at least there was some leverage before the days of GOP supermajority. It's trickier and more costly for a billionaire to own a state when it's not authoritarian government.

PostPosted: January 11 18, 9:05 am 
'Burb Boy

Of all the politicians I’ve covered in my ten year career, he’s by far the most difficult. Maybe now I see why

PostPosted: January 11 18, 9:07 am 

This guy IS all about special interest money.
I'm not familiar with this website, but much of what this article says has also been in P-D, KC Star etc.
http://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-missouri-greitens-governor.html

Quote:
Much of his campaign funding came from donors whose identities were never disclosed, including a “dark money” group called LG PAC that spent $4 million on his behalf. Greitens also received a check for nearly $2 million -- then the record donation in Missouri -- from a group called SEALs for Truth. The way the money was shifted around means that the original source remains unknown in both cases.

The governor’s secretive fundraising continued after the campaign. Corporations and lobbyists gave money to pay for his inaugural festivities, but Greitens refused to say how much any of them had given, or the total amount he’d raised overall. Close associates of his have now set up a dark money group to promote his policy agenda. “Eric Greitens has shown that his campaign commitment to clean up the corruption in Jefferson City was a false promise,” says Progress Missouri, a liberal group.

It’s not just advocates on the left who are concerned. Some Republican senators upset about Greitens’ use of a dark money group forced debate about requiring such groups to disclose their donors at the end of the legislative session last month. Those senators quickly found themselves attacked in ads sponsored by the group associated with the governor.

But money isn’t the only issue. Greitens campaigned on the idea of openness, but he forced members of his transition team to sign gag orders banning them from speaking about their work. When he appears in public, Greitens sometimes brushes off reporters by telling them to make a request through staff, who in turn often tell them their requests aren’t a priority. “This is the most reclusive, inaccessible and unengaged governor I’ve ever covered,” Phill Brooks, a reporter for the CBS radio affiliate in St. Louis, told The Kansas City Star. Brooks has been at the statehouse since 1970

PostPosted: January 11 18, 9:11 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

#transparency

PostPosted: January 11 18, 9:18 am 
Hall Of Famer

Joint statement from he and his wife:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ffaa20d10b
Quote:
A few years ago, before Eric was elected governor, there was a time when he was unfaithful in our marriage. This was a deeply personal mistake. Eric took responsibility, and we dealt with this together honestly and privately. While we never would have wished for this pain in our marriage, or the pain that this has caused others, with God’s mercy Sheena has forgiven and we have emerged stronger. We understand that there will be some people who cannot forgive — but for those who can find it in your heart, Eric asks for your forgiveness, and we are grateful for your love, your compassion, and your prayers.

PostPosted: January 11 18, 9:23 am 
99% conan clips

you can't have secret money without the blackmail, c'mon people!

PostPosted: January 11 18, 9:29 am 
NPR & THT Contributor

[expletive] like Greitens are why I'm increasingly having a hard time telling folks on the east coast that I'm from Missouri (instead of just saying "St. Louis", although that opens its own can of worms).

PostPosted: January 11 18, 10:10 am 
Everday Unicorn

Having an affair is not illegal. Blackmail certainly is. Hopefully an appropriate law enforcement agency will open an investigation.

I went to HS with Greitens - he was in my older brother's graduating class. They were friends but not too close. Back then, he was just your usual fairly intelligent west county Jewish kid - just like my brother. Both Greitens and my brother went on to college and the military. The difference is that Greitens was driven by the megalomania that makes someone an effective politician and user of people.

He used to be fairly liberal. Who knows what he actually believes today. I think he's a cypher - someone with no actual personal beliefs, who is capable of becoming whatever he thinks he needs to become for his own personal advantage. He did pretty well at that. The problem is, people like that also tend to commit awful personal indiscretions because they think they're gods on earth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next