All Things Rays (Previously The Alex Colome Trade Thread)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: All Things Rays (Previously The Alex Colome Trade Thread

Post by Fat Strat »

Popeye_Card wrote:I realize that having each of these guys pan out is unrealistic. However having three of them around gives you a better chance at at least one hitting their ceiling. You give up two of them for Archer, and then he goes and blows out his shoulder or just doesn’t turn that corner in the NL like you hoped, and that would be a crusher.
Yeah, I would trade any one of them for Archer, but not 2. I would also go down system a little and give up a guy that we'll probably really like in 1-2 years. Maybe Hicks, but definitely Fernandez, Hudson, etc.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Popeye_Card wrote:
jagtrader wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:Just to be clear, what exactly are we arguing here? Whether Archer is an upgrade for the Cardinals rotation? Of course he would be. He slots in at 1/2 with Carlos Martinez, and pushes either Wacha or Wainwright to the bullpen.

Or are we arguing if Archer's cost of acquisition is worth pursuing him over other options? If the cost to acquire is more than two of Reyes/Weaver/Flaherty/Kelly, I'm going to prefer other options. Yu Darvish or Jake Arrieta both could slot in at that same 1/2 spot in the rotation, and only cost cash--which we have plenty of. Then you get to hang on to Reyes, Flaherty, and Weaver to see how they all pan out to fill in that back of the rotation.
I'm talking about the Cardinals pooling their resources for better players instead of spending $14-15 million and two roster spots on Mikolas and Gregerson. That morphed into a debate about whether Archer is overrated.
Well I don't think everyone was talking to you then. Because most of us were debating the merits of a Flaherty+Weaver+Kelly+Grichuk package for Archer+Colome.

That's not about pooling financial resources. That's about reducing your pool of exciting pitching prospects from 3 down to 1, plus giving up possibly the best catcher prospect in MLB. That's the kind of package you give up for a Chris Sale, not a Chris Archer IMO.
Prospects are resources. The objective of this offseason, supposedly, was to turn their glut of outfielders and starters into superior players to alleviate a logjam. Ultimately, I don't think the Cardinals have the stomach to trade someone they truly value. Some of these guys better turn into stars or they'll spin their wheels forever.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Colome avoided arbitration and agreed to $5.3 million for this season-- exact same amount as Wacha.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Colome avoided arbitration and agreed to $5.3 million for this season-- exact same amount as Wacha.
Good for him. I don't much like Colome.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Hesitant to commit to heavy workload relievers. Sign Gregerson who has exact same number of appearances last year as Colome.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Hesitant to commit to heavy workload relievers. Sign Gregerson who has exact same number of appearances last year as Colome.
Yeah, I found that one ironic.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I really wanted Alcantara to be our dominant closer for the next 4-5 years.

Oh well, happy with Ozuna.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Hesitant to commit to heavy workload relievers. Sign Gregerson who has exact same number of appearances last year as Colome.

I wonder which "source" made this statement, and where it came from.