Podcasts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Podcasts

Post by thrill »

AdmiralKird wrote:Since you guys were talking about Game of Thrones podcasts, there are a TON, but I'd like to throw this out there for you guys if you want.
Just saw this. Subscribed!

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

The Native American mascot debate reminded me of this podcast for some reason. Not that they are really related.

Anyways, an interesting 4 part series on the history and continuing debate over damming of rivers that were part of Canadian Natives lands. YEah, I said interesting!
http://outsideinradio.org/powerline/
This is the story of how a massive, state-owned utility company came to be a symbol of the French-Canadian people. It’s also the story of how a company, with all of the force of a colonial culture behind it, used its power to try to push Quebec’s original occupants—its indigenous people—to one side. It’s the story of how that effort led to something that has become its own kind of revolution in Canada: native people pushing to regain power over their own lives and culture.

And it’s a story about the environmental benefits and human costs of clean energy.
No simple answers. Trade-offs with everything.

Also, that podcaster puts out some other stuff worth hearing - they did a good one on Times Beach (just Southwest of St. Louis) http://outsideinradio.org/shows/ep43?rq=times%20beach

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Freed Roger wrote:Also, that podcaster puts out some other stuff worth hearing - they did a good one on Times Beach (just Southwest of St. Louis) http://outsideinradio.org/shows/ep43?rq=times%20beach
That was interesting. My grandparents had a cabin at Times Beach. We spent many weekends there growing up. Fortunately it was before the roads were coated with dioxin.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

There's a new podcast, Hey Riddle Riddle, that has quickly become one of my favorites to listen to. The premise is to feature riddles instead of trivia because with trivia - you either know it or you don't - but riddles can be figured out with time and creativity. Although, spoiler alert, it is more Mystery Science Theater for lame riddles than it is a clever brain exercise. I've been laughing pretty hard at each episode so far.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Bear Brook podcast is a good one. centers around a murder/crime story in the 80s.. Forensics & DNA testing. Geneologists -with the help of the DNA tests people send off for; are figuring out a lot of crimes and missing persons cases out

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I've been listening to WTF with Marc Maron lately, also the Last Podcast on the Left, which is a weird mix of stupid and historical things. I listen to Pod Save America sometimes and rarely Joe Rogan.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

S-Town is worth a listen.

Also, the Ron Burgundy podcast is an entertaining 30 minutes every week.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

4 part series on history of Gay conversion therapy. It is called "Unerased" radiolab Jav (sp?) has a hand in it. Really good storytelling.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Just discovered Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - holy [expletive], dude does some deep dives on major historical events. Started with Blueprint for Armageddon, which is about WWI. 6-part series, and each part is between 3 and 4 hours long. Very detailed and entertaining.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

gaffigan was on conans this week...oh it was hilarious

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/c ... 1438054347