Championship: "Hey Jude" vs "The Ghost of Tom Joad" *CLOSED*

Topics for the 2017 cover song tournament.

Championship: Best covered song?

Poll ended at March 16 18, 8:45 am

Hey Jude
63%
The Ghost of Tom Joad
38%

Total votes: 16

Swirls
gone fission

Championship: "Hey Jude" vs "The Ghost of Tom Joad" *CLOSED*

Post by Swirls »

http://challonge.com/GRB_cover_tourney_20 has all the tourney info.

Championship Match!

#17: IMADreamer's "Hey Jude" by Wilson Pickett

Originally performed by The Beatles:

#14: stlouie_lipp's "The Ghost of Tom Joad" by Rage Against the Machine

Originally performed by Bruce Springsteen:
Last edited by Swirls on March 16 18, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: Championship: "Hey Jude" vs "The Ghost of Tom Joad"

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Now is the time for all Bruce Springsteen fans to untie and have their voices heard! Vote early, vote often!

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

If I may let me make an impassioned plea for Hey Jude. First let me say Springsteen is God. My favorite artist of all time and I think one of the best song writers ever, but we are not voting on Springsteen we are voting on Rage Against the Machine. I think they are great too and they do a fine job on this cover.

However, let me tell you why Wilson Picket's Hey Jude is the winner. First I'd argue it is better than the original version, which I would say RATM's Tom Joad is not. Secondly Wilson Picket himself is a legend. If you have not heard his catalog please do yourself a favor and do it. Everyone has probably heard "Midnight hour" but he has many other great songs "i've found love," "hey joe," "If you need me". "Land of 1000 Dances" just makes you want to get up and move and then there is "Hey Jude." I think my late GF put it best while doing chemo. She would put her headphones on and listen to music and she always ended with Pickett's "Hey Jude." Because she said that she just new it would be alright after hearing that song.

Let's talk about the band. Allman. One of the best ever and this song was his idea. Eric Clapton said of this song that "Southern Rock was born when Duane played the lead on Hey Jude." Then you have the Muscle Shoals band. One of the best sessions bands of all time. Then you have the fact that here you have an integrated group of musicians making beautiful music in the very segregated deep south during the civil rights era. What an amazing story that is in itself.

So there you have it. If Tom Joad wins so be it, it's a great song, but I think Hey Jude is an all time classic and I implore you to give it a good listen before casting your vote.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Go Jude

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

IMADreamer wrote:If I may let me make an impassioned plea for Hey Jude. First let me say Springsteen is God. My favorite artist of all time and I think one of the best song writers ever, but we are not voting on Springsteen we are voting on Rage Against the Machine. I think they are great too and they do a fine job on this cover.

However, let me tell you why Wilson Picket's Hey Jude is the winner. First I'd argue it is better than the original version, which I would say RATM's Tom Joad is not. Secondly Wilson Picket himself is a legend. If you have not heard his catalog please do yourself a favor and do it. Everyone has probably heard "Midnight hour" but he has many other great songs "i've found love," "hey joe," "If you need me". "Land of 1000 Dances" just makes you want to get up and move and then there is "Hey Jude." I think my late GF put it best while doing chemo. She would put her headphones on and listen to music and she always ended with Pickett's "Hey Jude." Because she said that she just new it would be alright after hearing that song.

Let's talk about the band. Allman. One of the best ever and this song was his idea. Eric Clapton said of this song that "Southern Rock was born when Duane played the lead on Hey Jude." Then you have the Muscle Shoals band. One of the best sessions bands of all time. Then you have the fact that here you have an integrated group of musicians making beautiful music in the very segregated deep south during the civil rights era. What an amazing story that is in itself.

So there you have it. If Tom Joad wins so be it, it's a great song, but I think Hey Jude is an all time classic and I implore you to give it a good listen before casting your vote.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Hahahaha

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

haha. Good luck Lipp.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Now is the time for all Bruce Springsteen fans to untie and have their voices heard! Vote early, vote often!
SPRINGSTEEN FANS UNTIE

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Beatles/Pickett/Allman > Boss/Rage

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

lukethedrifter wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:Now is the time for all Bruce Springsteen fans to untie and have their voices heard! Vote early, vote often!
SPRINGSTEEN FANS UNTIE
I always knew my poor spelling would be my undoing.