GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 22 18, 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: March 13 18, 1:41 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

There's so much irony in those kinds of posts to me. But, first, a few points:

First, that kind of "evangelism" -- if you can call it that -- is becoming increasingly rare. So, while we have a couple examples of it on this forum over the past few weeks, I wonder if those are just some sort of reaction by old-school churches to Billy Graham's death. Don't know, just spitballing. I can imagine some old-schoolers saying we need to get back to the old ways and get people to a point of decision, you know, because of Billy.

Second, that kind of "evangelism" -- if you can call it that -- has proven, statistically, to be incredibly ineffective. Drive-by evangelism -- that's what it's called -- derives from a premise just one step above those billboards that had a sinner's prayer on them so you could be "saved" just by reading them as you drove down the interstate. Get people to say a prayer or get them to a church and that's enough. Man, I wish this whole Jesus thing was that simple. It would make my job a crap-ton of a lot easier.

In my opinion, as difficult and awkard as drive-by-evangelism is, it's a total cop out and the easy way out of what Christ called Christians to do. The irony in these kinds of practices is that Jesus gave us a very specific model for "evangelism". It's almost 100% relational and service oriented. When you meet someone who receives your "peace" and offers you peace in return, then you share peace together, staying with that person, sharing life together and doing what you can, in your shared peace, to bring healing to them. There's mutual service -- you can really just think of that as hospitality + friendship -- and you don't go from person-to-person or house-to-house once someone "gets it".

Peace, in that case, is the Hebrew concept of Shalom -- or blessing, wholeness, fullness. True "evangelism" is offering yourself to another in friendships that result in wholeness and health. That's the "good news" Jesus offers and calls his followers to proclaim.

See Luke 10. It's laid out very clearly and in great detail.

PostPosted: March 13 18, 3:16 pm 
The Last Word

Great post, Fat.

PostPosted: April 3 18, 1:15 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I had a long conversation about politics with someone who is a born again Evangelical. They claimed that there are freeloaders everywhere around them that are gaming the system, and are able to live comfortably without working. I told them I didn't know people like that*, but I said even if there are some out there, their lives are probably unfulfilling (if not miserable) in other ways. And the Bible tells us not to be jealous of our neighbor, anyway. They got royally pissed and thought I was being a smart ass. I guess I should have worded it differently.

* I do know people getting chapter 8 or other subsidized housing and things like that but they all have jobs. They seem to be getting by but not getting ahead.

PostPosted: April 4 18, 6:26 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Sorry for putting this here. But where else?

PostPosted: April 4 18, 6:36 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Desus was taken away? What happened to Mero?

PostPosted: April 4 18, 7:21 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

pioneer98 wrote:
I had a long conversation about politics with someone who is a born again Evangelical. They claimed that there are freeloaders everywhere around them that are gaming the system, and are able to live comfortably without working. I told them I didn't know people like that*, but I said even if there are some out there, their lives are probably unfulfilling (if not miserable) in other ways. And the Bible tells us not to be jealous of our neighbor, anyway. They got royally pissed and thought I was being a smart ass. I guess I should have worded it differently.

* I do know people getting chapter 8 or other subsidized housing and things like that but they all have jobs. They seem to be getting by but not getting ahead.

Next time just remind him/her that they are also a freeloader, receiving the full benefits of God's grace in Jesus Christ, having done nothing in their own power to earn it, deserve it, or keep it, and that they'll live comfortably without working to earn that grace for eternity.

Oh and then say that our social support systems are really a means through which God reveals his own grace-filled and loving nature to his chosen people here in the great Christian nation of America. What better way to make America great again than to reveal God's mercy through our own governmental policies?

PostPosted: April 4 18, 8:49 am 
tl;dr

Fat Strat wrote:
Oh and then say that our social support systems are really a means through which God reveals his own grace-filled and loving nature to his chosen people here in the great Christian nation of America. What better way to make America great again than to reveal God's mercy through our own governmental policies?

I love this and am going to borrow it with full credit given of course. I'm sure there are people who could probably come up with a response that I couldn't answer but there is no way that the people I'm going to use this on would be able to. They will just stare at me dumbly and then try and change the subject to the second amendment, 'the gays' or something else.

PostPosted: April 4 18, 9:19 am 
just can't quit you.

Fat Strat wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

Next time just remind him/her that they are also a freeloader, receiving the full benefits of God's grace in Jesus Christ, having done nothing in their own power to earn it, deserve it, or keep it, and that they'll live comfortably without working to earn that grace for eternity.

Boom goes the dynamite.

PostPosted: April 4 18, 12:17 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

thrill wrote:
Desus was taken away? What happened to Mero?

He's at the pool doing triple backflips next to the 'no diving' sign cause he's the d-d-dad of the year.

PostPosted: April 4 18, 1:59 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 58  Next