2017-2018 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: 2017-2018 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by tlombard »

GeddyWrox wrote:
st.lewis11 wrote:And to think, I was so excited over this team during the great start of the season. Guess I'll never learn.
Me too. I even posted on Facebook that this team was special. Man was I wrong.
They are certainly special, just not in the way we all thought at the beginning of the season. It takes a special team to start how they did and then end up in this spot losing some of these games the way they have.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

tlombard wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
st.lewis11 wrote:And to think, I was so excited over this team during the great start of the season. Guess I'll never learn.
Me too. I even posted on Facebook that this team was special. Man was I wrong.
They are certainly special, just not in the way we all thought at the beginning of the season. It takes a special team to start how they did and then end up in this spot losing some of these games the way they have.
Truth.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I have this sick feeling that they are going to somehow still make the playoffs, just to take a 3-0 lead in the first round against the Preds and ultimately blow the remaining games in spectacular fashion.

That's the way the entire season has gone.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

It may be irrational, but I'm laying this all on Doug Armstrong. He should be shown the door on Monday. Or, if they make the playoffs, as soon as they are eliminated. Whether it's talent evaluation or roster construction, it's just not working.

And the trade deadline this year? Look, either punt or go for it. Don't half-ass it. If we had Stastny right now, we'd probably be in a (low) playoff position. Or, if we had held a fire sale, we might be in a better draft position come June. But we're in neither place.

I know this is going to seem all "oh, look at me", but I got the chance to speak to Wayne Gretzky once. And one of the things that came up in our conversation was him saying, "You don't want to finish in the middle. Either win it all, or finish last and rebuild faster. But the middle is not where you want to be." While he might not have been a very good head coach, his Stanley Cup rings tell me he knows how to win. So I agree with him.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

On another note, the Devils are in the playoffs. Taylor Hall has 93 points. That's 41 more points than the second place person on his team. How is there discussion about whether who's MVP?

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

Colorado loses tonight. If the Blues can pick up a win tomorrow night against the Blackhawks they will make the playoffs with a win or overtime loss against Colorado.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

albertmvpujols wrote:Colorado loses tonight. If the Blues can pick up a win tomorrow night against the Blackhawks they will make the playoffs with a win or overtime loss against Colorado.
The door is open for the Blues. Will they make it through, or stumble on the threshold and fall on their face?

On a related note, has anyone ever made a meme of Lucy taking away the Stanley Cup just as Charlie Brown, wearing a Blues jersey, runs up close to it?

Asking for a friend...

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

If you want to root for stupidity (and who doesn't):

Root for the Blues to win tonight. Then root for the game with the Avalanche to be tied late in the third period since they have to win in regulation... but nobody scores. Then they play an OT game that no one wants to play.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:If you want to root for stupidity (and who doesn't):

Root for the Blues to win tonight. Then root for the game with the Avalanche to be tied late in the third period since they have to win in regulation... but nobody scores. Then they play an OT game that no one wants to play.
That would be pretty wild, probably seeing a pulled goalie in a tied game.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

JCShutout wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:If you want to root for stupidity (and who doesn't):

That would be pretty wild, probably seeing a pulled goalie in a tied game.
This happened a couple years ago at the end of the season in a game between the Blues and Blackhawks. The game was tie and the two teams were locked into the 2 and 3 seeds of the playoffs and all that could change is home ice. Chicago was 4 points back with two games remaining so they needed to win in regulation to flip home ice in the first round.