Wristwatches

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Wristwatches

Post by sighyoung »

Michael wrote:Thanks! That's a good deal. I love the look of vintage watches.

I knew what I was getting in to when I selected the repairman. He's basically the best watchmaker in Chicago, which is why it takes so long and costs so much. I'm sure the watch I gave him is significantly beneath what he typically works on. I just wanted it done right.

FWIW, I asked him not to polish my watch. Those are my dad's scuffs and I didn't want to lose them. I love the character it brings to watch.
I hear you--both about the repairman, and the history and meaning of the watch. That history/emotional connection is what gives the watch much of its value, well beyond questions of maker and brand provenance. Knowing that my dad's watch was likely a graduation/wedding present, and that he wore it every day until he died, means I'll never get rid of it, even if it stopped working and couldn't be fixed.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

sighyoung wrote:
tlombard wrote:Interesting. I never even thought to see what kind of presence Goodwill has online. I'll have to check that out.
Not to suck anybody down a rabbit hole, but this is the site: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

You can type "watch" in the search window, and even specify types or makers, such as Hamilton watch, automatic watch, etc.

Then you can organize the listings by most bids, least bids, lowest price, highest price, and auction ending soonest.

There are lots and lots of Timexes, Seikos, Skagens, Michael Kors, and others. Always look at the pictures, and scroll down to read the descriptions.

Also, there are pages and pages of watches that are never sold, or that get re-listed. They even sell bags o' watches by weight (13lbs. of watches!). It's amazing--and depressing.

Some local Goodwills provide a ton of information (like my Smiths, which had pictures of the movement, a detailed description of the movement, a picture of the case)--which helped me date the watch to about 1965-66, made in Cheltenham, England, etc. For instance, here's a picture of the case they provided, which helped me date the watch and place of manufacture:
[SHOW]
In most cases, though, it's buyer beware--with poor pictures and little information. For expensive watches, if you can't see inside the watch, I recommend steering clear.

One thing you'll notice--a lot of the workers know enough about these watches that they provide JUST enough relevant information. For instance, most Seikos have clear pictures taken of the backs, so you can look up the movement number, case number, and serial number to date the watch: http://www.watchsleuth.com/seikodatefinder/

Similarly, most antique pocket watches will have pictures of the movements, and you can look up the rough age of them: https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

And the internet is helpful for looking up the watches and brands. Often, these watches have been reviewed or written about at watchuseek and other sites.

Mind you, I'm a novice, so I've barely dipped my toe into any of this. But I really found myself learning gradually about stuff.
I clicked on that link and almost got sucked down the rabbit hole. I have 20 minutes until my next meeting and need to get some stuff done first otherwise I'd be long gone looking at watches.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

tlombard wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
tlombard wrote:
wart57 wrote:I love watches so much I actually have been contemplating doing this...

https://www.watchgang.com/
Thanks for that link. I'd never heard of that before. I am extremely tempted to go with the mid tier option. I don't think I can quite afford that upper tier and if I'm going to have a watch collection (which I would like even if I still wear my Zenwatch daily) then I want it to be a bit higher end than the lowest tier.

I just don't have a use for that many watches that honestly, I probably won't like most of the time (some of them looked pretty damn cheap). IMO, save your money for a year and buy yourself and nice $1200 watch.
I think the only way to get me to do anything these days is to get me to sign up for something stupid like this. I've been wanting to buy a nice watch for awhile now and just never get around to it. I'm like that with so many things. I constantly get side tracked by some other idea or desire before I follow through on the last one. The only way I get a watch collection is through a service like this!
Well, I did it. I joined on the low tier - $29.99 and got my first watch yesterday.
I have to say, I am impressed.

You can choose the size, style, and materials you prefer - and they randomly send you one.

This is totally me. I actually love the color - and for $29.99, I have a fairly nice watch. It is really heavy and it is a very good size.

Can't see what I get next month, and I can cancel any time I want.

https://watchgang.cratejoy.com/refer/Matth-LGGFIVUH

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Which, I just notice, aren't made out of leather :(

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

wart57 wrote:
tlombard wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
tlombard wrote:
wart57 wrote:I love watches so much I actually have been contemplating doing this...

https://www.watchgang.com/
Thanks for that link. I'd never heard of that before. I am extremely tempted to go with the mid tier option. I don't think I can quite afford that upper tier and if I'm going to have a watch collection (which I would like even if I still wear my Zenwatch daily) then I want it to be a bit higher end than the lowest tier.

I just don't have a use for that many watches that honestly, I probably won't like most of the time (some of them looked pretty damn cheap). IMO, save your money for a year and buy yourself and nice $1200 watch.
I think the only way to get me to do anything these days is to get me to sign up for something stupid like this. I've been wanting to buy a nice watch for awhile now and just never get around to it. I'm like that with so many things. I constantly get side tracked by some other idea or desire before I follow through on the last one. The only way I get a watch collection is through a service like this!
Well, I did it. I joined on the low tier - $29.99 and got my first watch yesterday.
I have to say, I am impressed.

You can choose the size, style, and materials you prefer - and they randomly send you one.

This is totally me. I actually love the color - and for $29.99, I have a fairly nice watch. It is really heavy and it is a very good size.

Can't see what I get next month, and I can cancel any time I want.

https://watchgang.cratejoy.com/refer/Matth-LGGFIVUH
Been wearing the watch for a couple of weeks, still can't believe I only paid $30 for it...

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Got another version of my first watch. The strap is a tick lighter than this pic. (spoilered for size)
[SHOW]

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Got my second watch yesterday from Watchgang:

List price for this one on line shows $360.50

The band is too small, so I may need to order a new band, but i like the style, and it is very light weight. Again, I paid for the lowest tier, only $29.99 per month, and I can cancel at any time. Very impressed so far.

Holy crap, I just noticed I took the picture of my watch at almost exactly the same time as the one on line...

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I didn't like the first one too much (maybe it was just the orange) but I like that 2nd one that you got Wart.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Just don't be fooled by the "list" prices on the watches you're posting, watches absolutely NEVER sell for the list price.

It is a cool concept getting a different watch in the mail each month, but at $30 a month you're likely getting a watch that retails for close to $30 as well.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

I have no doubt that they actual value is much less. I got a band that fits for the second watch, and I love it. I found about 15 of the same watch on sale on eBay starting at about $30.00 so I am sure some members do the club only to turn around and sell them.