This Day in Baseball History....

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: This Day in Baseball History....

Post by Radbird »

April 9

Much to the chagrin of team executive Branch Rickey, the Cardinals trade Jimmie Coker and Gary Kolb to the Braves for catcher Bob Uecker. After introducing himself, the Redbirds' new backstop is quickly informed by Rickey, "I didn't want you. I wouldn't trade one Gary Kolb for a hundred Bob Ueckers."

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

This one is for you Radbird....

April 10, 2006
During the Devil Rays' home opener, a snippet of More Cowbell, a skit from Saturday Night Live which was first aired in the spring of 2000, is shown at Tropicana Field. The video clip, which is used at the prompting of new principal owner Stuart Sternberg, will inspire Rays fans to start the tradition of clanging their own bells at the ballpark during the Tampa Bay games.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

CardsofSTL wrote:This one is for you Radbird....

April 10, 2006
During the Devil Rays' home opener, a snippet of More Cowbell, a skit from Saturday Night Live which was first aired in the spring of 2000, is shown at Tropicana Field. The video clip, which is used at the prompting of new principal owner Stuart Sternberg, will inspire Rays fans to start the tradition of clanging their own bells at the ballpark during the Tampa Bay games.
How did you know that The Reaper wouldve been my walk-up song?? \:D/

I think ballpark bell clangers should be banished along with the Ric Flair Woooooooo! guys. Or at least restricted to Atlanta to drown out the Chop.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

10 years ago today: Rico Washington goes 0 for 1 with a strikeout. Little cup of coffee, but it was great that he got it.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:This one is for you Radbird....

April 10, 2006
How did you know that The Reaper wouldve been my walk-up song?? \:D/

I think ballpark bell clangers should be banished along with the Ric Flair Woooooooo! guys. Or at least restricted to Atlanta to drown out the Chop.
It was the Walken image in your avatar that I was actually going with; but The Reaper would be an awesome walk up song.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

Yeah I guess that was a dead giveaway...

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

Almost missed a fairly significant event.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote: Almost missed a fairly significant event.
Wow how'd we miss that one? Distracted by all the cowbell.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

April 13

A lot of history was made in 1954
Seven years after the team had threatened to strike because of the integration of baseball by Jackie Robinson, North Carolina A&T graduate Tom Alston becomes the first black player to appear in a Cardinals uniform. The highly-touted first baseman, acquired from the PCL's San Diego club in exchange for veteran infielder Dick Sisler and $100,000, pops out to first base in his first major league at-bat.

Making his major league debut during the first season opener at Forbes Field in 61 years, second baseman Curt Roberts becomes the first black to play for the Pirates. The former Kansas City Monarch, signed by 72 year-old general manager Branch Rickey, triples off Robin Roberts in the first inning as the Bucs beat the Phillies, 4-2.

In a 9-8 victory over the Braves, Reds' outfielder Jim Greengrass hits four doubles, tying a 1901 Opening Day record set by Tigers first baseman Pop Dillon. In the same game, Hank Aaron goes hitless in five attempts in his first major league game with the Braves.

Philadelphia A's second baseman 'Spook' Forrest Jacobs becomes the first major league rookie to collect four hits in an Opening Day debut. The feat will not be accomplished again until Delino DeShields of the Expos goes 4-for-6 on Opening Day in 1990.

On Opening Day off Chicago hurler Paul Milner, Wally Moon hits a home run in his first major league at-bat. The 24 year-old Cardinal center fielder, who will be selected as the National League's Rookie of the Year, will also homer in the last at-bat of his freshman season.

Cincinnati, in an effort to not be associated with Communists, plays its first game as the Redlegs. The new moniker, which is widely accepted, will be employed for six seasons, before the club reverts back to being known as the Reds, which was a shortened version of the Red Stockings, the team's original name from 1882 to 1899.

Willie Mays, who missed nearly two seasons due to military service, homers in his first game back, a sixth-inning blast off Carl Erskine that will prove to be the difference in the Giants' 4-3 Opening Day victory over Brooklyn. The 22 year-old center fielder's prodigious poke may have traveled over 600 feet if it had not been impeded by the upper left-field stands at the Polo Grounds.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

April 14, 1969:
In the first regular season game played outside the United States, the Expos play their first home game, treating 29,184 fans at Jarry Park to an 8-7 win over St. Louis. Montreal moundsman Larry Jaster throws baseball's first international pitch to Cardinal left fielder Lou Brock.

April 14, 1982:
At Watt Powell Park, the home of the International League's Charleston Charlies, Toledo's Randy Bush hits a home run that travels over 200 miles. The Mudhens' utility player, not known for his power, hits a ball over the right field wall that lands on a moving coal train.
April 14, 1993
After establishing the all-time career major league record last night with his 358th save, Cardinal reliever Lee Smith breaks the National League mark, recording his 301st in the Senior Circuit when he tosses a perfect 15th frame in the Cardinals' 2-1 victory at Dodger Stadium. The right-handed reliever will extend the big league mark to 478, pitching for the Cubs (1980-1987), Red Sox (1988-1990), Cardinals (1990-1993), Yankees (1993), Orioles (1994), Angels (1995-1996), Reds (1996), and Expos (1997).