2017-18 NBA Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 2017-18 NBA Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

I'm not going to dispute Kobe's value, or lack thereof (you guys are probably right on the money).

I really did enjoy watching him play, though

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Sheed would be t'd up the second he opened his mouth after he developed his reputation (he earned it fair and square, to be sure). He wasn't given an inch. CP3, Doc and all those Lob City Clippers were the whiniest bunch of whiners that ever whined. Entirely insufferable. If Rasheed was given three milimeters of line, they were given a continent.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

oh wow, i'd completely forgotten about rasheed wallace. while he could be/was annoying i did find him entertaining.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I've said it before: if you want one rule to make the NBA a better product (in game), allow only captains to speak to refs and/or only during time outs. Move that [expletive] off screen. It's the worst (but also pretty effective). Lillard's getting pretty bad, too.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

33anda3rd wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:Duncan was the OG "whine about every single call to the refs" guy
This begs the question: who would be the first inductees into the Whine About Every Call Hall Of Fame.

Caveats:
must be a great player (sorry, Stephen Jackson and Vlade Divac)
must be a world-class whiner

Duncan, Draymond, Boogie, Kobe, 'Sheed, Reggie Miller, Ginobli, LeBron would make my shortlist.

Mark Cuban can own this team.

Doc Rivers can coach.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Dwight and D-Wade.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Jocephus wrote:oh wow, i'd completely forgotten about rasheed wallace. while he could be/was annoying i did find him entertaining.
BALL DON'T LIE!!!!

'Sheed via the "Ball Don't Lie" cry seen repeatedly in the video above is making the game's greatest philosophical declaration about the game by an individual player. Three words, incredibly loaded. The Ball, an inanimate object free of bias, is incapable of lying or of persecuting 'Sheed. When 'Sheed is whistled for a foul by the refs, the Ball is incapable of giving into the ref's falsehood and will rim out on the foul shot instead of go in, denying the falsehood of the ref's foul call. The Ball, honest and unbiased, is on 'Sheed's side in 'Sheed's declaration. Of course, the metaphysics of a foul call itself is a mystery. The rule book doesn't really specify what a foul is, besides that it's illegal contact, and a foul does not exist until the ref blows the whistle and declares the act to be a foul. We can witness the same contact on consecutive possessions, but also witness that only one incident is a foul strictly because the ref says so. 'Sheed believed that the ball, incapable of telling a lie, was the teller of his truth, while the ref was persecuting him with his bias/lie of a foul call.

I [expletive] LOVED 'Sheed.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I loved Sheed too. His time in Portland was complicated but I think it's also remembered a bit unfairly. He didn't fit in with the Steve Smiths, Greg Anthonys and Detlefs and Pippens of the FailBlazers because he was young, volatile and surly. I'll never forgive him for throwing a towel at Sabonis: Sabas is a drunken angel, a mythical creature, and you leave him alone. But we had some bad dudes in the JailBlazers era like Qyntel Woods, Ruben Patterson and Zach Randolph (who seemed to figure things out in Memphis). Even though Sheed will be the first name listed in that era, he wasn't one of them. He had issues, but he engaged the community (though not reporters, which was part of the problem) and was a good guy by all personal accounts.

Also, as a player he was ahead of his time. He'd be killing the league today with his 3s and strong post moves against all the small lineups.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Saw this today and thought of you. Imagine how different your basketball fandom could be.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

good stuff about rasheed, 33 and BFoD. i shouldn't have said annoying but he was a character. one of those if he's on your team you love him, if he's not on your team he'd be "annoying". plus, a great player/skillset.

detlef schrempf is another name i hadn't thought of in like 10 years too hah. i remember him and shawn kemp and gary payton fondly(?) from those supersonic squads. had a STARTER supersonics jacket 'cause of them....big deal back then. loved the colors/look of the team.