GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 13 19, 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: June 11 18, 8:51 am 
Perennial All-Star

If there is a thread for this already, I missed it. But it needs to be discussed urgently. The US is committing atrocities right here on our own soil. There are too many articles/stories/posts about it for me to choose just one.

Separating children from parents, detaining people, including children, in cages... it is appalling. This is our country. This is Trump's America.

[expletive] this place. I want out.

PostPosted: June 11 18, 9:26 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Here's an article from NYT about a Tennessee Trumplandia town that suffered a major ICE raid, and rallied (somewhat) around the immigrants.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/06/11/us/tennessee-immigration-trump.html

As I read the article, I feel more down. It is great that people, groups, churches there are providing support for the immigrant families thrown into turmoil over this. In no way do I minimize their efforts.

61% of them voted for this when they enabled Trump and the GOP. Support all you want, but the horrible treatment of our fellow humans by the government is going to remain, unless they vote against all Republicans, no matter.

Will they do it? I hope, but really don't think so. The Catholic church referenced in the article , what will be their stance once the GOP cattle prods them with the abortion issue again? (which the most certainly will.)

PostPosted: June 11 18, 12:40 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

This is one issue that has surprised me with my conservative friends. So far they are pretty upset with this and think separating kids from their families is very wrong. Of course they will still vote for Trump so it doesn't matter, but I was surprised.

PostPosted: June 11 18, 12:47 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I've already been using ResistBot almost every day, but now I'm sending one about this every day, PLUS one about removing Tronald Dump every day too.

PostPosted: June 11 18, 12:51 pm 

IMADreamer wrote:
This is one issue that has surprised me with my conservative friends. So far they are pretty upset with this and think separating kids from their families is very wrong. Of course they will still vote for Trump so it doesn't matter, but I was surprised.

But Hillary started it!, or I mean Bill.... Or OBAMA!

PostPosted: June 11 18, 1:24 pm 
Hall Of Famer

IMADreamer wrote:

This is just another issue, like gun control and universal health care, that has had broad support for decades and yet government can't do anything about it because we don't live in a Democracy.

PostPosted: June 11 18, 3:15 pm 
'Burb Boy

But hey at least Jeff Sessions is taking a stand by *squints* removing asylum protections for victims of domestic and gang violence?

PostPosted: June 11 18, 3:19 pm 
All-Star

If those families wanted to be together, they should have never tried to improve their ishthole lot in life!

[expletive] Trump and the Bannon he rode in on.

What a disaster.

PostPosted: June 12 18, 2:54 pm 

Because what kid separated from his parents doesn't like summer tent camping in Texas
McCltatchy: Trump looking to erect tent cities to house unaccompanied children
Quote:
The Department of Health and Human Services will visit Fort Bliss, a sprawling Army base near El Paso in the coming weeks to look at a parcel of land where the administration is considering building a tent city to hold between 1,000 and 5,000 children, according to U.S. officials and other sources familiar with the plans.

Quote:
The number of migrant children held in U.S. government custody without their parents has increased more than 20 percent as Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen rolled out the administration's new policy zero tolerance policy that separates children from their parents who now face prosecution.

20% ! according to this, only in effect since May

PostPosted: June 12 18, 3:13 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
But hey at least Jeff Sessions is taking a stand by *squints* removing asylum protections for victims of domestic and gang violence?

Because, you know, we here in the US must fear for our lives from the terror of MS-13 on Long Island or wherever, but people who are actually terrorized by MS-13 in Central America don't have a case for asylum.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next