2018 - 2019 Blues (Hockey) Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: 2018 - 2019 Blues (Hockey) Season

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Blues are trying to get Sabres to take back Sobotka in an O’Reilly deal per Elliotte Friedman

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

if DA can swing that, then i'll be very happy/surprised (never thought anyone would take lehtera either, and not only did they, we got a very good player in return, so...)

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:Blues are trying to get Sabres to take back Sobotka in an O’Reilly deal per Elliotte Friedman
OMG please! OReilly isnt a superstar, but I'd be very happy with him and Schenn at C. If you can move Boat in that trade, thats a win. Someone likely takes a chance on 20 goal scorer Berglund.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

If the deal is something like Kyrou, a 1st and Sobotka for ROR, do it.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I agree. I hate to lose the 1st and Kyrou, but like with the Schenn trade, it takes a major problem and turns it into a strength. Since Tank, Petro, Schwartz and even Schenn are entering/at prime years, this is likely our best shot for awhile. The 2nd line would be some combo of OReilly, Fabbri (for 4 games until he's injured), Steen, Berglund and probably one of the kids. Some mix in there should produce a solid 2nd line and solid 3rd line. (I'd rather move another of Steen/Berglund and replace with another legit top 6 player through trade or FA, but that is unlikely.)

Even if we don't move anyone other than Boat, there is probably a good chance Berglund can score 20+ goals. (which he's sorta done for the last 3 years - 10 goals in 42 games (19 goal pace), 23 goals in 82 games, and 17 goals in 57 games (24 goal pace). And maybe Steener can rebound to at least 20 goals/year and/or Fabbri stays healthy and/or a kid can hang on the 2nd line. Its not great, but it could be enough to get you a low playoff seed... or some stupid team gives the Blues a 2nd for Jaybo and a 4th for Gunnar at the deadline because someone will be stupid.

Then you hang on for a year, do what you can do, cheer when JayBo and Gunnar are gone after this year and hope you've improved enough to make another move or two and take a step next year. If, after next year, you only bad contract is one of Berglund/Steen, you have room to be successful.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

if the team can make some moves and bring in some talent there's some potential here (so long as Allen actually plays like a starter). The top4 propsects aren't all going to pan out, so the Blues should try to move some of them.

Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Fabbri - O'Reilly - Steen
Berglund/Jaskin - Thomas - Barbashev/Thompson/Blais
Sanford - Broziak - lol/wtf

That could be 3 decent lines if thomas can be more defense focused at first as an "energy" line on the 3rd line.

If they can;'t do that, i'd love to see a youth movement year where the team brings up Kyrou, Kostin, Thomas, Thompson, Blais and plays them in the top 9. Trade Berglund and Sobotka for scraps. Offer Steen a buyout or a trade to a more favorable team, and take a year to see what you have.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

There's some speculation the Sabres have a verbal agreement for a Ryan O'Reilly trade, and that the Blues may have the accepted offer. Some reporters are saying nothing's done, others say that the deal could be finalized on July 2 after the Sabres pay O'Reilly his roster bonus, and others say this agreed upon deal may be a fallback for the Sabres in case someone else in the hunt for Tavares comes knocking on their door after striking out.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

If the deal goes through after the bonus is paid, the prospect cost would, presumably skyrocket. Trade before please!

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

JCShutout wrote:If the deal goes through after the bonus is paid, the prospect cost would, presumably skyrocket. Trade before please!
I can't imagine it would skyrocket since the cap hit wouldn't change. It would increase, but I don't think the difference would be significant. The Blues and Habs are the two teams rumored to be in on him, though if the rumor is that they are waiting until after the bonus is paid then it seems the Blues are the more likely landing spot.

Kyrou is a tough pill to swallow as he has the highest offensive potential of our prospects and adds a right handed shot to a team severely lacking RH forwards. I'd deal two of Bokk/Thompson/Kostin before dealing either of Kyrou or Thomas if I could help it, but I'd bend on Kyrou. I don't think I'd include Thomas at all in a trade for O'Reilly. I think the most I'd offer is Kyrou, next years first, and Sobotka/Berglund as a semi cap dump. I'm not sure that gets it done.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Agree with a lot of what albertmvpujols just wrote. I do think the addition of Bokk makes Kyrou more expendable. The only "puke point" for me to borrow one of our Cardinals phrases is Thomas. I really do think it gets done though.