2018 July Bonus Baby Talk

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
go birds
-go birds

2018 July Bonus Baby Talk

Post by go birds »

Edit: changing the title of the thread to a catch-all thread instead of making a new one. also spoiling the misinformation i originally posted before.

I'll be interested to see what the cards do.

If i'm understanding correctly, they have like $5m to spend, but cannot spend more then $300K on a single player, so it'll be interesting to see what they do and how good their scouting really is.

Needless to say, I don't have much faith.

[SHOW]
for banned substance. verbal contracts will be nullifed.

pulled this off another site and did a quick google search but couldn't find anything in english. not sure how reliable the tweeter is.

BUT...big if true.
Last edited by go birds on July 1 18, 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: 18 of top 20 international prospects test positive

Post by phins »

Well, it is illegal to have "verbal contracts" with the players before J2, which is one of the things the Braves got into trouble for.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

Count me in the group of people who don't care about PEDs much anymore.

As long as guys aren't taking steroids, testosterone, or HGH I really don't care.

It seems like there are banned substances that do little more than help a guy complete 1 more set in the weight room adn I don't see why those types of supplements need to be banned.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

this was a bogus report btw. dont shoot the messenger!

go birds
-go birds

Re: 2018 July Bonus Baby Talk

Post by go birds »

bump--cards not really linked anyone big names, obviously.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

cards have signed Malcolm Nunez, a 3B from Cuba for $300,000.

They would have been better off just trading their pool money.

Not sure why didn't.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

go birds wrote:cards have signed Malcolm Nunez, a 3B from Cuba for $300,000.

Not sure why didn't.
BA has Nunez ranked as their #26 IFA. That’s a great get.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

A strapping righthanded hitter, Nunez stood out above others in his age group because of a 6-foot-1 frame and a weight between 190 pounds and 200 pounds. In Cuba's 15-and-under league, Nunez had an absurd 46 walks and only nine strikeouts in 152 plate appearances. It his power that the Cardinals and other teams expect to carry him, and many of those walks were simply avoidance of that power by other teams.

From the scouting report:

In the country’s 15U league in 2016, Nunez batted .412/.592/.578. ... He led the league in walks (including a league-high 21 intentional walks), ranked third in OBP and seventh in slugging. After the season ended, Nunez went to Japan to play for Cuba in the U-15 World Cup, where he earn all-star honors at third base after hitting .667/.750/.741 (18-for-27 with nine walks and one strikeout), leading the tournament in batting average, OBP and stolen bases (7-for-7). Nunez has a strong track record, though he’s not a pure hitter, with more of a power-first profile. He has stood out for his advanced physicality from a young age, looking like a man among boys, producing a mature tool set with his power, arm strength and bad speed. Nunez has plus raw power and can crush the ball with high exit velocity when he gets his arms extended, especially on the outer third, though there is some length to his swing where his hands shoot away from his body, leaving him vulnerable inside. He has mostly shown a sound idea of the strike zone as well. Nunez’s best tool on defense is his plus arm.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Baseball America's Ben Badler also reports that the Cardinals have agreements in place with two Venezuelan teens: catcher Diego Velasquez and righthanded pitcher Jesus Rojas. The Cardinals will have other signings Monday, and the signing period for this class continues until next summer. The Cardinals have a spending limit for the period of $5,004,500.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
go birds wrote:cards have signed Malcolm Nunez, a 3B from Cuba for $300,000.

Not sure why didn't.
BA has Nunez ranked as their #26 IFA. That’s a great get.

time will tell...

just seemed like this was a pretty weak IFA class, though admittedly i hadnt really followed it as closely in years past.

Just seemed like a good time to trade that bonus pool money because they probably arent going to use it all.