Re: 2018 July Bonus Baby Talk

Post by cardsfantx »

They still can

Tags:

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Malcolm Nunez is a fairly exciting get during the J2 period. Then there were will be guys who emerge from our signings that turn out way better than expected. It's the nature of what you deal with when you're talking about 16 year olds.

I really liked him when I saw him play as a 15 y/o. He was regarded at that time as one of those $3m types, but really he just matured so much more quickly than his peers it made him look better. The big downside with Nunez is he is so big you're looking at RF as his best case (he has a 70 arm there) and DH as his worst case, with 1B seeming like the most likely.

It's a very similar profile to Luken Baker, honestly.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Card sent bonus money to the phillies for 23 y/o LHP Elniery Garcia
Elniery Garcia - S - Cardinals
Cardinals acquired LHP Elniery Garcia from the Phillies for international bonus pool money.

Garcia has an ugly 6.38 ERA, 1.91 WHIP, and 29/21 K/BB ratio in 42 1/3 innings (nine starts, one relief appearance) this season at Double-A Reading, but the 23-year-old left-hander put up promising numbers in the lower minors. He was suspended 80 games last April after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug. Garcia will presumably report to Double-A Springfield.
wut

phins

Post by phins »

go birds wrote:Card sent bonus money to the phillies for 23 y/o LHP Elniery Garcia
Cardinals acquired LHP Elniery Garcia from the Phillies for international bonus pool money.

Garcia has an ugly 6.38 ERA, 1.91 WHIP, and 29/21 K/BB ratio in 42 1/3 innings (nine starts, one relief appearance) this season at Double-A Reading, but the 23-year-old left-hander put up promising numbers in the lower minors. He was suspended 80 games last April after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug. Garcia will presumably report to Double-A Springfield.
wut
You don't get much for bonus pool money...especially when you're in the penalty box. Teams see you as less of a threat and don't give as much for the space often times. Keep in mind, the team probably sees him as a reliever and if you just use him as a reliever in the right spots his numbers probably go way up.

It isn't that they went crazy on spending that irks me (in fact, I love that idea), what irks me is that they spent it on talent that wasn't nearly as well regarded as other teams who went over the penalty box did. Most analysts agree that our haul was pretty pedestrian for the money as they either lacked physicality, or had stuff show inconsistently. Johan Oviedo looks like a 50k arm right now, but when we saw him he was probably at his best and we got duped a bit.

phins

Post by phins »

He has pitched well in his first two starts with double-A Reading as he tries to make up for lost time. He allowed just two hits in five innings Tuesday night and had excellent movement on his curveball. His fastball sat in the low-90s, just as it did before his suspension. Garcia worked quickly and pitched aggressively.

“Those lefthanded curveballs are tough. I was a righthanded hitter,” Reading manager Greg Legg said. “It improves every year a little bit. It’s tight and has good spin on it. I’ve seen him throw some good sliders, too. He’s gotten better from his first start to second start, so hopefully he continues that. He looked sharper than he did the other night. He was sharp the other night [Aug. 9], but he was better this time. His breaking ball was better and had good velocity on his fastball. I was pleased.”

Garcia had a 2.68 ERA last season in the second half with Clearwater, striking out 91 and walking 36 in 117 2/3 innings. He did not throw a pitch at double-A, but the Phillies saw enough promise to add him to the 40-man roster and protect him from the Rule 5 draft.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... 70817.html

I wonder if we are going to add him to our 40-man to protect him from the Rule V this offseason?

phins

Post by phins »

Last year at Fangraphs he was their #7 prospect:
Scouting Report
What scouts think of Garcia is largely colored by what time of year they saw him. If you caught Garcia early in the year in A-ball, you saw him throwing 88-91, maybe touching 93, and flashing an above-average curveball. If you saw Garcia’s final start of the year, a Double-A playoff appearance, he was up to 97, sitting 92-94 with command of a four-pitch mix.

Garcia added velocity as the year went along and was regularly touching 94-95 by midsummer. His two breaking balls, a loopy but deep curveball in the low-70s and a vertically oriented slider, run together right now but the latter is fairly new. Garcia has a fringey changeup, and his command of it lags behind his fastball/curveball command, but he repeats his fastball arm speed and it projects to average.

Garcia has also shown an ability to locate his curveball to the back foot of left-handed hitters (which will give him another viable weapon against them), he understands sequencing, can miss bats up above the strike zone with his fastball, and he pitches with swagger and confidence, stomping around the mound like he owns it when he blows hitters away. The Phillies added him to the 40 man to protect him from Rule 5 consideration.

If you think Garcia retains his newfound velocity, then it’s fairly easy to envision him becoming a good No. 4 starter; if not, he’s a back-end arm. Even though none of the secondaries undoubtedly project to plus on their own (I do have a scout who has a future 6 on the curveball), Garcia’s advanced sequencing and solid command could allow them to play up. I got Martin Perez and Jaime Garcia comps on Garcia during the list-making process. Both those guys are No. 4 or 5 starters, and I think that’s ultimately where Elniery ends up. He’ll likely begin 2017 in Reading and, if the Phillies need someone to make a big-league spot start on Garcia’s day to pitch, he could debut in the majors this year.
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-33- ... -phillies/

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

phins wrote:
go birds wrote:Card sent bonus money to the phillies for 23 y/o LHP Elniery Garcia

wut
You don't get much for bonus pool money...especially when you're in the penalty box. Teams see you as less of a threat and don't give as much for the space often times. Keep in mind, the team probably sees him as a reliever and if you just use him as a reliever in the right spots his numbers probably go way up.
thats what concerns me