6/14 - 7/15 GDT: The World Cup U Guys

A forum for non-baseball sports
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: 6/14 - 7/15 GDT: The World Cup U Guys

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Yeah, teams like Spain that love to pass and control the ball are great and all, but it would drive me nuts to be a fan of Spain and watch a game like today. Kudos to Russia and all for playing solid defense. But, ahhhhhhhhh, it would drive me nuts.

I mean, if you're the better team, at some point do you not have to go for it and try to win in regular or extra time instead of being content to go to PKs which probably have to be 50/50 no matter how much of a skill advantage a team may have. Also, since I'm [expletive] on Spain, might as well continue and say I also don't understand any PK that goes anywhere other than the upper or lower corners. Mid level shots seems to be silly. I'd love to see a breakdown an overall heat map of what shots score the most often broken down by zones. Obviously going upper 90s opens the player up to missing completely by going too high, but come on...this is the world cup, not some b-league tournament. I'd like to think at this level guys can put it within a foot of the crossbar and a foot or two inside the post 9 times or more out of 10. Bury it in the sidenet a foot below the crossbar and good luck to the goalie trying to stop that. All this stutter stepping trying to juke the goalie and then kicking it soft irritates me to no end. Just pick a corner and blast it in there. And, if you're a baller, blast it into the upper corners. But, what do I know.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The Spain of Fabregas, Iniesta, David Villa and Xavi that won three straight major titles won those titles going forward. They miss having a guy like Fabregas* who was always looking for a way to get the ball forward/through and toward the goal. They played yesterday like possession was the number on the scoreboard, and very much deserve the exit they got.

*2008 Fabregas was vital in the win over Russia. 2010, off the bench, he set up the winning goal for Iniesta in extra time in the final. Fab was HUGE for them in Euro 2012. He's one of the unsung heroes of that awesome run they had.

As someone pulling for France, I am nervous about the Uruguay game. Uruguay play a hard, physical, full 90. They get in your shirt. They contest and contend on every ball. They are not afraid to take a yellow on a hard foul. I'm hopeful that France's youngsters will have the mettle to not get unsettled or bullied or physically outmatched by Uruguay. If both teams come to play a beautiful game, France should win, but if Uruguay comes for a fight they probably have the edge.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Sounds like Uruguay will be without Cavani. That would be a major blow to their chances.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-c ... ce-sources

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

33anda3rd wrote:The Spain of Fabregas, Iniesta, David Villa and Xavi that won three straight major titles won those titles going forward. They miss having a guy like Fabregas* who was always looking for a way to get the ball forward/through and toward the goal. They played yesterday like possession was the number on the scoreboard, and very much deserve the exit they got.

*2008 Fabregas was vital in the win over Russia. 2010, off the bench, he set up the winning goal for Iniesta in extra time in the final. Fab was HUGE for them in Euro 2012. He's one of the unsung heroes of that awesome run they had.

As someone pulling for France, I am nervous about the Uruguay game. Uruguay play a hard, physical, full 90. They get in your shirt. They contest and contend on every ball. They are not afraid to take a yellow on a hard foul. I'm hopeful that France's youngsters will have the mettle to not get unsettled or bullied or physically outmatched by Uruguay. If both teams come to play a beautiful game, France should win, but if Uruguay comes for a fight they probably have the edge.
Well, that was easy.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

33anda3rd wrote: Uruguay play a hard, physical, full 90. They get in your shirt.
"They may get in our shirts, but I live in their heads."
-N'Golo Kante

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

If England and Belgium match up in the finals, would it be the first time that the finals were a rematch from the group stage?

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

I'm with 33. France is stealing this thing and Mbappe is making a case for the best player on the planet. Holy hell is that team loaded.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Belgium will be very tough for them. This Belgium team is peaking while the France team is still supposed to be a few years away. I think it will be a good, tough game.

Says the guy who thought Uruguay would bully the French kids around, so what do I know anywayz?

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

I'm basically the kiss of death for teams I'm pulling for. So Belgium should win this match handily.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Glad to have the Curse Of Tambo reversed today.