Elehuris Montero SUPER THREAD

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Elehuris Montero SUPER THREAD

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I thought Gorman wasn't super slick with the glove and was going to eventually move to 1B as well? Would be nice if one of those guys could lock 3B down. Plus we have Baker at 1B too...

Tags:

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Fat Strat wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
Elehuris Montero, 3b, STL
3:06
Thoughts on Elehuris. Does his scouting reports back up the stat line he has put up so far in A-ball?

Eric A Longenhagen
3:08
Elehuris Montero, 19y/o 3B slashing .320/.380/.530 in A ball. More 50/55 hit with 55 power which is good at 3B, but Montero has considerable 1B risk. He's a pretty big kid.
1B risk... that just struck me as funny. I get what he's saying, but if you think about it, the Cards haven't had a legit first baseman since Pujols. We've had players who settled at 1b because we needed someone there or because they couldn't cut it elsewhere -- Carpenter or Craig. They hoped Adams would fill that role, but he didn't really work out.

Even though 1b is a great place to throw guys who can't defend and can hit, it would be nice to lock that position down with a elite hitter who can field the position for a decade or so. If Montero does that, I'm not going to be too disappointed that he was a "1b risk".
Advocate side here, he told you in the same post that he's not an elite hitter. 50 hit and 50 power is a .270 hitter with 20 HR's. He says that works fine at 3B but is insinuating you'd want more at 1B.

At least that's how I read it.

phins

Post by phins »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I thought Gorman wasn't super slick with the glove and was going to eventually move to 1B as well? Would be nice if one of those guys could lock 3B down. Plus we have Baker at 1B too...
And Leandro Cedeno has a chance to make the bigs at 1B as well. Him and Baker are both Right/Right 1B with big power and outstanding TrackMan data.

The Cardinals are now really loaded up with 1B/DH risks. They're just hoping one or two of them end up being a star to make all the risk worth it. If Gorman does move to 1B that's a big hit on what the organization is going to do with several of these players who all have that same risk, but when you think about the fact most of them have something like a 10% chance of being a star, you can see why they'd want multiple spins on the 1B star wheel of fame.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

phins wrote:The Cardinals are now really loaded up with 1B/DH risks. They're just hoping one or two of them end up being a star to make all the risk worth it. If Gorman does move to 1B that's a big hit on what the organization is going to do with several of these players who all have that same risk, but when you think about the fact most of them have something like a 10% chance of being a star, you can see why they'd want multiple spins on the 1B star wheel of fame.
My concern is that they're not going to realize much value on these guys. The Cards will bet on 1 or 2, and the rest would be expendable in a trade. Except that there doesn't seem to be a market for slugging corner infielders. Look at how the free agent market treated guys like Logan Morrison and Moustakas.

Maybe I'm misreading tea leaves, but it seems like they're going to end up with a bunch of guys with limited positional flexibility and little-to-no trade value. So instead of having a glut of outfielders who bring back marginal talent (Munoz and Leone are the recent returns, because Ozuna didn't arrive because of Sierra), they're going to have a lot of 1B/DH guys who bring back.... ??

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Most requests for the Ramblings this week? That would be one Elehuris Montero. The 19-year-old is not disappointing in his first full season of professional ball, slashing .321/.379/.531 with 15 home runs and 69 RBIs (nice) for Low-A Peoria in 2018. A promotion to High-A Palm Beach should be in the cards relatively soon, and I think the advancement will provide a solid test for a prospect whose on base ability this season has vastly outperformed his scouting marks from a hit-tool perspective. The .371 BABIP for a 40-speed prospect does make me assume there’s a little luck baked into the eye-opening slash numbers, but it’s also important to acknowledge the fact the teenage third base prospect has an all-fields approach (his Pull% and Oppo% both sit at 38 percent). We’ll have a better idea of where the approach stands once he’s promoted to High-A, but Montero is currently looking a lot like a back-end top 200 prospect with plenty of time to solidify that status.
https://prospects-365.com/2018/08/07/ra ... ugust-6th/

phins

Post by phins »

mikechamp wrote:
phins wrote:The Cardinals are now really loaded up with 1B/DH risks. They're just hoping one or two of them end up being a star to make all the risk worth it. If Gorman does move to 1B that's a big hit on what the organization is going to do with several of these players who all have that same risk, but when you think about the fact most of them have something like a 10% chance of being a star, you can see why they'd want multiple spins on the 1B star wheel of fame.
My concern is that they're not going to realize much value on these guys. The Cards will bet on 1 or 2, and the rest would be expendable in a trade. Except that there doesn't seem to be a market for slugging corner infielders. Look at how the free agent market treated guys like Logan Morrison and Moustakas.

Maybe I'm misreading tea leaves, but it seems like they're going to end up with a bunch of guys with limited positional flexibility and little-to-no trade value. So instead of having a glut of outfielders who bring back marginal talent (Munoz and Leone are the recent returns, because Ozuna didn't arrive because of Sierra), they're going to have a lot of 1B/DH guys who bring back.... ??
Isn't that the case with most any prospects though? For the most part, ~90% of them flame out or become Munoz or Leone or worse.

You're absolutely right that this next glut of positional players will weed themselves out and only a few will have value to the club, but at those positions you have to mash to be worth anything because they're the end of the defensive spectrum (which is probably what you're saying, so we mostly agree).

If one becomes a star though, it'll have been worth it to find a true star bat at the position.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

From what I've read so far, I'd be surprised if Gorman isn't given every chance to stick at 3b all the way through. It's just reports here and there, but I have hard a several positive comments on his defense so far.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

phins wrote:
mikechamp wrote:

Isn't that the case with most any prospects though? For the most part, ~90% of them flame out or become Munoz or Leone or worse.
I guess I'm thinking back to the "old" model that you draft athletic, SS/CF types, and if they don't pan out up the middle, you can always move them to a corner position. But the more I think about it, I guess those profiles typically don't morph into Moustakas/Matt Adams/Jesus Aguilar. (Unless they eat a teammate.)

phins

Post by phins »

mikechamp wrote:
phins wrote:
mikechamp wrote:

I guess I'm thinking back to the "old" model that you draft athletic, SS/CF types, and if they don't pan out up the middle, you can always move them to a corner position. But the more I think about it, I guess those profiles typically don't morph into Moustakas/Matt Adams/Jesus Aguilar. (Unless they eat a teammate.)
And don't forget that Aguilar was a nothing prospect that the Indians gave up on and the Brewers picked up and he's turned into a star.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

3-5 with his first Palm Beach homer tonight. He's hitting .385 early on.