RAVE: Memphis

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: RAVE: Memphis

Post by Hoot45 »

lukethedrifter wrote:My wife is taking me to Memphis for a couple of days for my birthday. Suggestions?
The Civil Rights Museum is seriously extraordinary. You have to go if you haven't been before. And there are some good eats and shops in the nearby neighborhood. We didn't love Beale St and the immediate area, but the South Main District (where the museum is) stole the show in my opinion.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Hoot45 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:My wife is taking me to Memphis for a couple of days for my birthday. Suggestions?
The Civil Rights Museum is seriously extraordinary. You have to go if you haven't been before. And there are some good eats and shops in the nearby neighborhood. We didn't love Beale St and the immediate area, but the South Main District (where the museum is) stole the show in my opinion.
We stayed just off S Main. You’re right. So much to do. Looks like the city has abandoned Main downtown (mostly vacant storefronts) to focus on S Main.
Civil Rights Museum was great- and a short walk. Nearby was Blues Hall of Fame (didn’t make it there), 3rd wave coffee shop, old school diner, trolley, famous late night burger dive, shops, et al.
10-15 min drive, Stax soul museum was great. Sun Studio is cool. Cooper-Young is a cool neighborhood with several food spots, record store, coffee. Beauty Parlor restaurant seems fresh at 16 years old.
Riverwalk was cool but tired. Very tired. Few visitors, rundown, most snack spots and gift shop closed but the Mississippi River museum was great.
Ball game was fun. Cheaper seats are down low. Wife got talked into “club level” seats but not worth it.
Just ambled past Beale St so no review other seems like typical tourist drinking destination.
Peabody Hotel for ducks was nice but mainly bc we’d been out walking so it was great to sit with a cocktail.
Restaurant Iris from apparently semi famous chef Kelly English was really disappointing. 2nd night open after refurb of menu and space. Lumpy gnocchi, oversweet quail, nothing great. Staff was good, space was nice, drinks were fine. Food was really so so at best.
Went to Central BBQ over Rendezvous on advice. Ribs were fantastic. Pulled pork and brisket were dry and not warm. Sides were good. Location right with patio seating across from Civil Rights Museum was fantastic.

Pretty easy 4-ish hour drive.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

I'll have to check out Central BBQ

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Sounds like a great trip luke, glad to hear you had a good time!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I'm concerned about the lack of a Green Beetle STD report.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

CardsofSTL wrote:I'm concerned about the lack of a Green Beetle STD report.
I looked in the window on way home one night but I’m old and bed sounded better.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I am just glad to hear it is still there; been a few years since I was in Memphis. Now I wanna go back.

The catfish might have been so good because I was probably drunk AF though...maybe I should just cherish my memories.