Get Your Shildt Together

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Get Your Shildt Together

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Hoot45 wrote:Moved this from another thread:

Shildt gets the headlines, rightfully so, but don't underestimate the dismissal of John Mabry and the promotion of Budaska and Greer. Budaska has been a magician for most of these players so it isn't a surprise to see the offense surging under his leadership as well. I'm especially curious to see if he can resurrect the bats of Fowler and Ozuna, two guys that don't have a history with him.

Really glad someone said this. I obviously like the dingers but Buda has done a solid job of getting the lineup going all the way around.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Should be noted that Buddha worked hard with Grichuk and got zero results. But he may have been doomed anyways.

I'm a fan though.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Is Greer the guy that they sent Grichuk to last year?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

CardsofSTL wrote:Is Greer the guy that they sent Grichuk to last year?
https://redbirdrants.com/2018/07/17/st- ... g-coaches/

This says Budaska worked with him. Not sure about timeline.

Edit: Greer worked with him last year:
George Greer was hired by the Cardinals in May of 2015 after spending nine years as a coach in the Mets organization. Greer was brought in to apply his advanced knowledge of hitting as hitting coach for the Rookie League, Johnson City Cardinals. The organization thought so highly of Greer, that they wanted to give each player at the lowest level exposure to his approach. With 45 plus years in baseball, specializing in pitch recognition to improve swing and approach at the plate, Greer has proven to be a highly regarded asset.

Grichuk was demoted in May and specifically assigned to attend the Greer school of hitting in Florida. Pitch recognition was the primary problem with Grichuks approach, so Greer was naturally the choice to fix the issues. The stay in Florida was shorter than expected as Greer was asked to take over as hitting coach in Memphis, Grichuk followed and the results have been promising.
Not that promising...

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:Is Greer the guy that they sent Grichuk to last year?
https://redbirdrants.com/2018/07/17/st- ... g-coaches/

This says Budaska worked with him. Not sure about timeline.

Edit: Greer worked with him last year:
George Greer was hired by the Cardinals in May of 2015 after spending nine years as a coach in the Mets organization. Greer was brought in to apply his advanced knowledge of hitting as hitting coach for the Rookie League, Johnson City Cardinals. The organization thought so highly of Greer, that they wanted to give each player at the lowest level exposure to his approach. With 45 plus years in baseball, specializing in pitch recognition to improve swing and approach at the plate, Greer has proven to be a highly regarded asset.

Grichuk was demoted in May and specifically assigned to attend the Greer school of hitting in Florida. Pitch recognition was the primary problem with Grichuks approach, so Greer was naturally the choice to fix the issues. The stay in Florida was shorter than expected as Greer was asked to take over as hitting coach in Memphis, Grichuk followed and the results have been promising.
Not that promising...

I'm not sure what you mean. Grichuk hit really well in June, July and August last year, after the demotion/promotion, right?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Meaning it didn't help long term as he's bad this year. And his SwStr % went back up.

But also after the promotion, yes he slugged well but still had a 5.8% walk rate and 29% K rate. Did he really get "fixed"? His ISO was never an issue. OBP still sub .300 in those months.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Meaning it didn't help long term as he's bad this year. And his SwStr % went back up.

But also after the promotion, yes he slugged well but still had a 5.8% walk rate and 29% K rate. Did he really get "fixed"? His ISO was never an issue. OBP still sub .300 in those months.

All I know is that he hit well after Greer worked with him. It's a stretch to say that Greer didn't help him. He put up an 87 wRC+ in April, a 53 wRC+ in May, and 133, 115 and 113 in June, July and August, respectively.

Essentially, the further away he's gotten from Greer's instruction, the worse he has hit.
Last edited by Socnorb11 on August 15 18, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Meaning it didn't help long term as he's bad this year. And his SwStr % went back up.

All I know is that he hit well after Greer worked with him. It's a stretch to say that Greer didn't help him. He put up an 87 wRC+ in April, a 53 wRC+ in May, and 133, 115 and 113 in June, July and August, respectively.
Maybe. I think he just reached what he would have reached anyways. He's literally his career norms. Not much deviation.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

Maybe. I think he just reached what he would have reached anyways. He's literally his career norms. Not much deviation.
He ain't the Cards problem any more.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

'

"Maybe" what? The numbers that I gave you are actual numbers. He DID hit better after working with Greer. Whether Green had nothing or everything to do with that, we don't know. There's zero evidence that Greer didn't help him, and quite a bit of evidence that Greer did. That's all I'm saying.