Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: Camping, backpacking, hiking, et al

Post by Hoot45 »

Popeye_Card wrote:Headed to Banff/Yoho/Jasper in about 3 weeks. Hopefully the smoke is clearing by then.
I just did that in July! It was a dream trip.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Popeye_Card wrote:Headed to Banff/Yoho/Jasper in about 3 weeks. Hopefully the smoke is clearing by then.
what range of temps do you expect then?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

thrill wrote:I spent 10 days in northern idaho and the air quality was so bad I could barely see mountains from a few miles away. I still have a bit of a cough. Hopefully Oregon is a little clearer for you.
looking at a smoke map now -
https://wildfiretoday.com/2018/08/25/wi ... arnings-4/

NE WA and N Idaho still look awful. my area of concern is that standalone spot in Mid OR.

last year, they just closed a bunch of their seasonal NF CG and roads in early sept and even though fires were mostly done, they just decided to keep them closed for season. seems like they closing less of them this year.
a 1st world problem from my perspective, only have 5 days, there, so these obstacles rein in the tendency for an over-ambitious itinerary.
Last edited by Freed Roger on August 28 18, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Freed Roger wrote:
what range of temps do you expect then?
Based on my past experiences that time of year, it really varies. Even within a day. I've done hikes where it started around 50 degrees and snowed a couple hours later.

But in general, between 30-70 degrees.
Hoot45 wrote:
I just did that in July! It was a dream trip.
Your trip was closer to what I was originally planning, hitting Waterton Lakes and Glacier on the same trip. But now my wife can't go and I can't go for as long, so just a few days hopefully hitting several hikes.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Popeye_Card wrote:Your trip was closer to what I was originally planning, hitting Waterton Lakes and Glacier on the same trip. But now my wife can't go and I can't go for as long, so just a few days hopefully hitting several hikes.
Right on. Well enjoy and give us a good report on what you end up doing!

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Random question here - Anybody ever used an Uber to shuttle to or fro a trailhead?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Being tempted/encouraged to do the MR340 next summer on a SUP.
The Missouri River 340, or MR340, is a 340 mile kayak and canoe race from Kansas City, Kansas to St. Charles, Missouri that follows the Missouri River. It is the longest continuous canoe and kayak marathon in North America besides the Yukon 1000
88 hours to complete it. All sorts of people manage to do this, though only a few on a paddleboard.. I would have to invest in better stuff. It's basically a full week, with the travel and orientation.

As I type, I am talking myself off the ledge. Paddling is still fairly new hobby and am enjoying exploring and mixing it in. This would take it into the sufferzone, which I already have a hobby that covers (trail runs). Cardio, endurance - I could do it. But the blisters, sleep deprivation, heat exposure, the mental side would be off the charts.

Plus, I only have ~ 2 wks to decide because it sells out, which means basically getting entire summer planned for myself, and family by then.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Would love to hear about more of your paddling adventures, Freed Roger. Don't forget about the flying carp on the Missouri. That has been the scariest thing to me while paddling that one.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Hoot45 wrote:Would love to hear about more of your paddling adventures, Freed Roger. Don't forget about the flying carp on the Missouri. That has been the scariest thing to me while paddling that one.
Only time I encountered crazy fish were at the mouth of creeks I've paddled by/up. Was told carp are mostly stirred up by motorized vessels. Did you get hit?

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Freed Roger wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:Would love to hear about more of your paddling adventures, Freed Roger. Don't forget about the flying carp on the Missouri. That has been the scariest thing to me while paddling that one.
Only time I encountered crazy fish were at the mouth of creeks I've paddled by/up. Was told carp are mostly stirred up by motorized vessels. Did you get hit?
Yes, while paddling in 8-foot kayaks in July. If there is a next time I paddle the Illinois/Missouri/Mississippi around here I am wearing a helmet. I wish I was exaggerating. It was a combination of hilarious / terrifying / exhilarating because at any time one of those monsters could launch at your head when your paddle touched the water.