The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by IMADreamer »

My gf, her friend, and I are spending the holiday weekend at the cabin. They love my meat.......

So I have some Angus ground chuck for Friday nights meal. Just going to do some burgers, with all the fixings. Saturday for noon I plan to do brisket. Saturday night, I have rib eyes lined up. Sunday is up in the air. Probably ribs one meal, any ideas for the second meal?

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

After burgers, brisket and ribs how about some smoked trout or beer can chicken?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Smoked eggs in ramekins

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

haltz wrote:After burgers, brisket and ribs how about some smoked trout or beer can chicken?
I'm think of doing some beer can chicken this weekend. Best way to cook chicken.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

haltz wrote:After burgers, brisket and ribs how about some smoked trout or beer can chicken?

I like this idea a lot. I don't do chicken much but this would be a good chance.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Beer butt chicken is a staple for us. I said butt not can because we use one of these:

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

us too...

whoops! wrong thread!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

cardsfantx wrote:us too...

whoops! wrong thread!
Honey, let’s play beer can chicken

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

Chicken was a success. Thanks for the suggestion. I also got some freshly harvested dove. wrapped it in bacon, a little bit of all purpose seasoning on the bird, grilled until it was good and hot. Then stick it on kabob sticks. Man it was awesome.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sounds like a great weekend, ima.

I've become a huge fan of chicken for multiple reasons. First, it's cheap. We can get 3-4 quarters (legs and thighs) for something like $3-4 and a whole chicken is only about $6-7.

Second, it's quick and easy. I'll take out the water pan in the weber smoker to get the heat up to about 300 and smoke the quarters for an hour or so. They turn out about perfect which I consider to be juicy with a crispy skin and the ability to tell smoke was used.

Third, chicken is flexible. Add whatever rub you're in the mood for (spice, bbq, salty, italian, etc) and the same cut of meat can be modified to be very different depdning on what is used. My mom brined and injected a chicken with soy sauce the other day and used a poultry rub (salty) and it was awesome. Point being, chicken is like a blank canvass, and can be made to taste delicious. While brisket (or pork butt or whatever you use) is probably better overall, it's tough get such large variations in flavor profile with butts and briskets. I mean, those are 8+ pounds of meat that are going to retain their original flavors regardless of what is done to them (ie, brisket is going to taste like beef, pulled pork is going to taste like pork).

Further, chicken has more cuts that can be tailored to your audience. Having a football party, go spend $10 on some wings and smoke those. Having a family outing, do a whole chicken or two (spatchcocked or halved preferably). Want something for the wife and kids, quarters are the perfect size.

Also, brats fit under the same category of cheap and easy though you have to have access to a good butcher (like G&W) if you want the variety. But, even without access to a variety of brats, the toppings can make all the difference. Kraut, carmelized onions/peppers, sauteed black peppercorns, bbq sauce, a1 sauce, mustards, country bob, etc. I love brats.

MMMMMMMMMM I'm ready for the fall.