Rant/Rave: Losing my job

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Rant/Rave: Losing my job

Post by ThatGuy »

Last week, I made a stupid mistake and lost my job as a result. I experienced probably the worst two days of my life - and rightfully so. It was a cool job and one I'll probably miss, and I was pretty damn good at it, too.

On the other hand, I've been on autopilot for about 5 years. I've been doing a fantastic job acting like there aren't some serious weights on my shoulders, and I understand better than ever before what it's like when you just avoid your problems/stressors instead of trying to deal with them. I've had more honest conversations with friends and family in the last week than I had in the entire 10 years prior. That part has been good.

I've spent a lot of my life trying to avoid failure and avoid making mistakes, trying to be somebody I'm not for everybody else's sake, and I think at 29 (almost 30) I might finally be starting on the right path. It f*cking sucks and I'm embarrassed to be in this position, but I think a lot of good will come out of it.

Also, the more I've talked with people, the more I've discovered that everybody has their own demons (and it's frequently not just small stuff). Nobody's perfect.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Re: Rant/Rave: Losing my job

Post by Diddy »

You’ll land on your feet somewhere. I guess I can’t put That Guy as a reference when I apply for House Hunters now.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Sorry to hear that man. I dont remember what you did for a living, but everyone makes mistakes. Best of luck.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

No shame, brother. The important thing is you pick yourself up and keep fighting to create the life that is fit for you, not other people's expectations. The only regrettable thing would be to not keep fighting. From one stranger to another, I sincerely wish you the best.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

JCShutout wrote:Sorry to hear that man. I dont remember what you did for a living, but everyone makes mistakes. Best of luck.
I thought he worked for HGTV

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Your last point is important to remember. Everyone is [expletive] up. Once you realize that it takes some weight off. If there is anything we can do to help you let us know. I have no doubt you will come out of this stronger.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

Diddy wrote:You’ll land on your feet somewhere. I guess I can’t put That Guy as a reference when I apply for House Hunters now.
You still could, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to be on that show. :)
JCShutout wrote:Sorry to hear that man. I dont remember what you did for a living, but everyone makes mistakes. Best of luck.
Appreciate it. I'm learning the "everyone makes mistakes" bit, but it still feels weird. I guess it takes time.
Hoot45 wrote:No shame, brother. The important thing is you pick yourself up and keep fighting to create the life that is fit for you, not other people's expectations. The only regrettable thing would be to not keep fighting. From one stranger to another, I sincerely wish you the best.
Thanks man. That's been the goal my whole life, so maybe I'll finally start doing something about it.
IMADreamer wrote:Your last point is important to remember. Everyone is [expletive] up. Once you realize that it takes some weight off. If there is anything we can do to help you let us know. I have no doubt you will come out of this stronger.
Hey, thanks - I really appreciate that IMA.

And I don't want it to sound like I'm absolving myself of any responsibility by suggesting that everybody else has problems, too, but it's been really eye opening hearing other people talk about their own issues. Turns out life is not all sunshine and rainbows!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I was downsized by a job one time. In retrospect it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm much farther along professionally now than I would have been if I had stayed there for ten years. Things always work out. Acknowledge your mistakes and move on. You'll land on your feet so long as you don't give in to petty emotion.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

ThatGuy wrote:I've spent a lot of my life trying to avoid failure and avoid making mistakes, trying to be somebody I'm not for everybody else's sake, and I think at 29 (almost 30) I might finally be starting on the right path. It f*cking sucks and I'm embarrassed to be in this position, but I think a lot of good will come out of it.

Also, the more I've talked with people, the more I've discovered that everybody has their own demons (and it's frequently not just small stuff). Nobody's perfect.
You have the right attitude. Good things are around the corner.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I think there have been a few mistakes in my life that I got away with which would have been better for me if I hadn't. Autopilot is often my default setting too, and you make small compromises to maintain that setting because it's comfortable, safe, or whatever, and then years pass and all those little compromises can add up to an unsustainable path that you can't and shouldn't maintain.