Rave: Not So Fine Dining

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Rave: Not So Fine Dining

Post by tlombard »

Next time I go to Red Lobster I'm going to be smart and just order the cheapest salad and fill up on the biscuits and have no shame about it either.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

What is the best thing at Red Lobster that's not biscuits? I recall a flounder with a baked potato and broccoli that was mostly good b/c of the potato and broccoli, and some decent tex-mex-y lobster tacos once.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I just tried to think of the last time I was at a Red Lobster. I’m pretty sure it was in college, sometime around 2003 or 2004. Google says there’s one pretty close to me but I’ve never even noticed it.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Shrimp scampi and fried shrimp are never bad in my book. Sure, you can get that anywhere else but that's normally what I get when I'm there. Either that or crab legs. Of course it seems like any time I'm there they have an all you can eat special on one of the two so that's what I go with. I don't even know if they even do the all you can eat crab legs anymore though. It had been years since I'd been at a Red Lobster and they just happened to have the shrimp deal so I figured I'd go with that since it was under $20.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Friday night I stopped at Kicker's Corner on South Broadway just because I'd never been there and a friend is working there and I am really glad that I did. Friday is their BBQ day and they had a pork steak with two sides that was really, really good. The pork steak was a good two inches thick and massive. And it was just great and probably over a pound and a half, maybe close to two pounds. I also enjoyed the potato salad and macaroni salad (they have quite a few other choices) but that pork steak was wonderful. The entire plate is more than one person should eat in a meal probably. The crazy thing is that the entire meal was $8.50.

Do I plan on hanging out there to drink after eating often? No. Will I be back there very soon for dinner? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

cardsfansince82 wrote:I just tried to think of the last time I was at a Red Lobster. I’m pretty sure it was in college, sometime around 2003 or 2004.
Same here. I'm thinking around 1990 for me.

Red Lobster is one of the few casual restaurant chains (think applebees, etc) that is doing well with Millennials and not contracting, so they must be doing something right

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Michael wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:I just tried to think of the last time I was at a Red Lobster. I’m pretty sure it was in college, sometime around 2003 or 2004.
Same here. I'm thinking around 1990 for me.

Red Lobster is one of the few casual restaurant chains (think applebees, etc) that is doing well with Millennials and not contracting, so they must be doing something right
I think if anything, it is the one place you can be sure of what you are getting with seafood with respect to price and quality. Is it great seafood? Of course not but it is decent and consistent and they have those dang biscuits. If you are somewhere like St. Louis, getting actual quality seafood is not easy and most likely expensive in the few places that do specialize in seafood other than maybe a piece of salmon, cod, etc. at local places or other chains with respect to seafood. And you don't get those biscuits.

With other casual chains, there are tons of other places that aren't chains and execute the same menu items at a higher quality than a chain so there are many other options that are probably better than the chains at least in a decent sized city. That really isn't the case for seafood unless you are on a coast. That leaves a HUGE chunk of the country that is prime Red Lobster territory.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I hit up Landry's but mainly because their happy hour here is absurd. I can get Stuffed Shrimp Enbrochette (bacon-wrapped, seafood stuffing, pepper jack,
jalapeños, tomatillo sauce), a mess of steamed mussels and a few pints for 20 bucks.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I hit up Landry's but mainly because their happy hour here is absurd. I can get Stuffed Shrimp Enbrochette (bacon-wrapped, seafood stuffing, pepper jack,
jalapeños, tomatillo sauce), a mess of steamed mussels and a few pints for 20 bucks.
I wish I could get even just a few pints for $20.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Secrets: I've never eaten at Red Lobster.