2018/19 Offseason Not Worthy of its Own Thread News

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2018/19 Offseason Thread

Post by cardsfantx »

Spider John wrote:Well, there's this. It's Jon Heyman, so take it fwiw:
The New York Yankees are sure to be one of a handful of teams that will at least express interest in Manny Machado this winter, but there has been some doubt about whether Machado would be willing to waver from his insistence on playing shortstop. According to one report, that will not be an issue.

Sources close to Machado told Jon Heyman of Fancred Sports that the Yankees are Machado’s first choice, with one friend of Machado saying the 26-year-old would “easily” move back to third base for the opportunity to wear pinstripes.
http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/ma ... ees/460281

If the Cards don't go all in on signing the 26 year old Machado or a 25 year old Bryce Harper then I doubt BDW will ever allow the team to sign a premium FA.
I would be shocked if we are even in the running for either. Every team will of course gauge interest, but I’d bet a [expletive] ton of money, that’s where it’d stop.

So, I agree with your end point.

The only premium FAs we will ever possibly sign, will be players that happen to come up through our own system, or have played for us (since as Holliday)

Otherwise, it’ll be trades (like ozuna), or FA towards the later stages of their careers (such as Fowler, Beltran, maybe Donaldson this year)

I have 100% faith in the organization drafting and developing; and I have 0% confidence when it comes to the open market.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I would like to keep Ozuna, but Boras...

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Leroy wrote:I would like to keep Ozuna, but Boras...
We still have Ozuna under contract for 2019.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Hmmm, Cot's just says 2018. Would be cool if they are wrong.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Leroy wrote:Hmmm, Cot's just says 2018. Would be cool if they are wrong.
He's just going year-to-year in arbitration. This winter is his last year of arbitration eligibility before he becomes a FA this time next year.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I was wondering...it sure seems that Ozuna's 2018 was severely tempered by the shoulder injury. Has it ever been determined when that injury occurred? Was it pre-existing at time time of the trade? It sure seems like he came out of the box already broken.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

heyzeus wrote:I was wondering...it sure seems that Ozuna's 2018 was severely tempered by the shoulder injury. Has it ever been determined when that injury occurred? Was it pre-existing at time time of the trade? It sure seems like he came out of the box already broken.
the cards said it happened towards the end of last year with the marlins, and they knew about it prior to the trade...said everything came back clean and just needed rest last offseason.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

the only thing that gives me hope, is obv the FO can see the apathy of the fans towards the team this year...it was mentioned and showed on numerous broadcasts how many empty seats there were when the games still mattered and against good teams. and when we played chicago (cubs fans always travel well), the last couple years you might have thought the games at busch were home games for the cubs, as it damn near looked/sounded 50/50.

but even though the seats were empty, a lot of them were sold/paid for....and they started their new billion dollar tv deal...so the FO may not care.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

heyzeus wrote:I was wondering...it sure seems that Ozuna's 2018 was severely tempered by the shoulder injury. Has it ever been determined when that injury occurred? Was it pre-existing at time time of the trade? It sure seems like he came out of the box already broken.
Pretty sure we knew about it. I think it was an issue dating back to the end of last year.

Frustrating because Ozuna hits the ball as hard as anyone. 8th in MLB in balls hit over 95 mph. Doesn't do a lot of good when your shoulder doesn't consistently allow you to swing on a plane to generate lift.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

it's gonna be re-signing waino, shuffling some infielders/outfielders and maybe 1 or 2 FA pitchers. you just know it