Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Tim »

What is the next Rush album I should check out after 2112?

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Tim wrote:What is the next Rush album I should check out after 2112?
Since you started there (which is certainly not a bad place to start), I would skip the three albums that preceded it for now (self-titled, Fly by Night, Caress of Steel). They're all decent-to-good, but don't match 2112, which defined the direction their sound was going in for the rest of the decade. If I were you, I would just hit the next four albums chronologically - A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, which retain the proggy-ness of 2112; Permanent Waves, which still rocks but also shows their style starting to change a little bit as they head into the 80's; and Moving Pictures, which really ushered in their 80's sound and is considered by many to be their masterpiece. It's also the album you've probably heard at least a song or two from, if you've ever heard any Rush before. After that, if you're still interested, just keep on going and take a trip through their 80's catalog, which became much more synth-driven but still awesome. Signals is probably my favorite of that set. Then, as the 90's rolled around, they somewhat reinvented themselves again with Roll the Bones and Counterparts, both of which I listened to obsessively in high school and early college. Throughout their career, they've been incredibly adept at changing their sound not only to keep up with the times but really to help establish the direction of rock music for the times. If you're digging them after 2112, they are very much a band where you can just proceed album to album and see their progression while enjoying each album along the way. I wouldn't say they're all masterpieces, but there really aren't any bad or especially weak albums in there, although everyone's going to have a few they don't like as much.

There are also some really awesome live albums from different stages in their career if you're into that (All the World's a Stage, Exit Stage Left, A Show of Hands, and Different Stages all highlighted the then-current era of their music, while the more recent Time Machine 2011 and R40 are more like career retrospectives). They really are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Pretty bummed that they probably won't ever tour again.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the info.

Will put Farewell on Spotify now

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Smith Corks One wrote:
Tim wrote:What is the next Rush album I should check out after 2112?
Since you started there (which is certainly not a bad place to start), I would skip the three albums that preceded it for now (self-titled, Fly by Night, Caress of Steel). They're all decent-to-good, but don't match 2112, which defined the direction their sound was going in for the rest of the decade. If I were you, I would just hit the next four albums chronologically - A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, which retain the proggy-ness of 2112; Permanent Waves, which still rocks but also shows their style starting to change a little bit as they head into the 80's; and Moving Pictures, which really ushered in their 80's sound and is considered by many to be their masterpiece. It's also the album you've probably heard at least a song or two from, if you've ever heard any Rush before. After that, if you're still interested, just keep on going and take a trip through their 80's catalog, which became much more synth-driven but still awesome. Signals is probably my favorite of that set. Then, as the 90's rolled around, they somewhat reinvented themselves again with Roll the Bones and Counterparts, both of which I listened to obsessively in high school and early college. Throughout their career, they've been incredibly adept at changing their sound not only to keep up with the times but really to help establish the direction of rock music for the times. If you're digging them after 2112, they are very much a band where you can just proceed album to album and see their progression while enjoying each album along the way. I wouldn't say they're all masterpieces, but there really aren't any bad or especially weak albums in there, although everyone's going to have a few they don't like as much.

There are also some really awesome live albums from different stages in their career if you're into that (All the World's a Stage, Exit Stage Left, A Show of Hands, and Different Stages all highlighted the then-current era of their music, while the more recent Time Machine 2011 and R40 are more like career retrospectives). They really are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Pretty bummed that they probably won't ever tour again.
I really wasn't a Rush fan until I saw them live. Then I was ticked I didn't pay attention to them for the first 34 years of my life.

Anyway after 2112, I would go to Moving Pictures. Red Barchetta is my happy place.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

My friend got to meet Sturgill Simpson and Nathaniel Ratliff this weekend. I'm super jealous.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

IMADreamer wrote:My friend got to meet Sturgill Simpson and Nathaniel Ratliff this weekend. I'm super jealous.
Seem like 2 cool mofos. I’ve got tix to see Rateliff with John Prine at the Grand Ole Opry on NYE.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

lukethedrifter wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:My friend got to meet Sturgill Simpson and Nathaniel Ratliff this weekend. I'm super jealous.
Seem like 2 cool mofos. I’ve got tix to see Rateliff with John Prine at the Grand Ole Opry on NYE.

That show will be incredible.

My buddy said both guys were super nice and down to earth. Nathaniel is originally from Missouri and one of the guys with my buddy knew a friend of a friend and I guess basically he just sat there and talked to this group of 4 or 5 people for like 20 minutes. Then when he left my buddies daughter forgot to ask for an autograph, but the trumpet player was still there hanging and and basically says "hey hold on a second." He leaves and comes back a few minutes later with a set list signed by the whole band.

My buddy said his daughter is definitely a fan for life now. lol

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

IMADreamer wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

That show will be incredible.

My buddy said both guys were super nice and down to earth. Nathaniel is originally from Missouri and one of the guys with my buddy knew a friend of a friend and I guess basically he just sat there and talked to this group of 4 or 5 people for like 20 minutes. Then when he left my buddies daughter forgot to ask for an autograph, but the trumpet player was still there hanging and and basically says "hey hold on a second." He leaves and comes back a few minutes later with a set list signed by the whole band.

My buddy said his daughter is definitely a fan for life now. lol
That's awesome! I'm assuming this was at Roots n' Blues in Columbia? If so, both of them were fantastic. Unfortunately, the sound guy for Sturgill was, to my best guess, a drummer (or former drummer) with about 80% hearing loss, at least judging by the overall volume and the levels of the drums.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I did not know that Nathaniel Rateliff was from Hermann.