Waino signed to one year deal

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Waino signed to one year deal

Post by JCShutout »

Yeah, his numbers in Sept are fairly meh, but its a sss, and we know one game he was dinked and dunked to death. He looked better. Assuming this is for a few million, Its reasonable to think that he could be an asset in the pen/long relief/occasional spot start. Not as a starter and not as the 8th or 9th inning guy, but you could do worse for middle relief than September Waino, especially considering we have like like 7 starters who struggle to go past the 5th inning.

EDIT: I think I feel this way the way I felt about the Blues signing Perron/Bozak. Signing them as scoring line players had me pissed. When they got ROR, making Perron/Bozak basically 3rd line/occasional 2nd liners, I didn't mind it as much... except I hated the length of those deals, and this is just one year.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I cannot stress this enough; SEPT WAINO WAS SEPT WAINO BECAUSE HE GOT A 100 DAYS OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SUMMER. What's he gonna look like after showing up early in Feb([expletive], he's probably in Jupiter trying to find the curveball right now!)? After his dead arm settles in round May 1?

This move is all nostalgia, and this owner knows that when he pulls on your heartstrings, you open you wallet. Bringing him back just assured another 3m+ visitors to B3..

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

No reason to hide the details. Why are they playing qoy? Are they waiting to drop the nugget quietly after the NLCS? Hoping for other news to overshadow possible backlash from fans?

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Can’t read the article, but looks interesting.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Tim wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
Tim wrote:If Adam Wainwright had been a Mariner and had the season he just had, would you have wanted the Cards to sign him to a one year deal, having him on the 40 man roster and assuredly on the opening day roster?
Of course not.

He’s been a significant Cardinal for over a decade. That’s why I don’t mind him getting one more shot next season on what I presume is a cheap deal. Pretty simple.
I just can't get behind or understand this line of thinking, but to each their own.

This isn't my nephew's little league team. We're trying to get Cain, Yelich, Rizzo, Bryant and Votto out with RISP in a tie game in the fifth inning. Surely we can do better than Adam Wainwright.

If Wainwright is the worst pitcher on your team, you're doing alright.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:I cannot stress this enough; SEPT WAINO WAS SEPT WAINO BECAUSE HE GOT A 100 DAYS OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SUMMER. What's he gonna look like after showing up early in Feb([expletive], he's probably in Jupiter trying to find the curveball right now!)? After his dead arm settles in round May 1?

This move is all nostalgia, and this owner knows that when he pulls on your heartstrings, you open you wallet. Bringing him back just assured another 3m+ visitors to B3..
. If they put him in the rotation I agree with you. If he's in the bullpen and teaching the young guys from his experience, I have no problem with this.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Socnorb11 wrote:If Wainwright is the worst pitcher on your team, you're doing alright.
That's not how it works. He's not somebody that can be shuttled back and forth from Memphis like a typical mop up guy. He's 37, has a 4.77 ERA and 1.443 WHIP over his last 362 IP, and has been on the DL 4 times with a bad elbow the last 2 years. They just gave him a guaranteed contract and spot on the 40 man roster. If he didn't used to be Adam Wainwright everybody would be wondering WTF the Cardinals are doing.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

And every time he's slotted to start a home game, he will. No matter what. Because; Farewell Tour. They might even move starts around using off days to facilitate getting him out there in front of 30k people. Ticket Sales.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:If Wainwright is the worst pitcher on your team, you're doing alright.
That's not how it works. He's not somebody that can be shuttled back and forth from Memphis like a typical mop up guy. He's 37, has a 4.77 ERA and 1.443 WHIP over his last 362 IP, and has been on the DL 4 times with a bad elbow the last 2 years. They just gave him a guaranteed contract and spot on the 40 man roster. If he didn't used to be Adam Wainwright everybody would be wondering WTF the Cardinals are doing.

Of course. I don't think anyone here is denying that sentiment is involved.

It's an incentive-based contract. There's no guarantee that he even makes the opening-day roster. He was better in 2018 than he was in 2017, so your selective stats don't hold much value. His xFIP was 4.26 last year. That's not awful, and there's a chance that he could improve on that if used properly as a reliever. Again, if that's the worst pitcher on your roster, then you're fine. That wouldn't have been close to being the worst pitcher on last year's roster.

Some of you guys act like the Cards just gave him 5/75. It's a one-year incentive-based deal.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Socnorb11 wrote:Some of you guys act like the Cards just gave him 5/75. It's a one-year incentive-based deal.
The deal is irrelevant. What most of us are harping on is the impact this deal will have on the way we approach the rest of the roster.

Do you really think that the Cards will give any serious consideration to upgrading their rotation this offseason now that they have like 10 SP's in camp (half of which are not really arms you want to use if you're planning to contend)?

If you just flipped this around and AW signed his deal in late January AFTER we had watched and explored the market I probably wouldn't be complaining about it very much. The fact that they've jumped the market means they're set on a path that doesn't include a rotation upgrade regardless of what happens in the market or with other positions. That seems foolish to me. I still maintain that the rotation was the easiest place to upgrade despite our depth there and I very much question our ability to upgrade the positions where we have limited or no depth.