Travel? Favourite countries?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Travel? Favourite countries?

Post by CardsofSTL »

lukethedrifter wrote: I would never pass up a homemade meat stick.
link?

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Just back from a week in London. I'm never going to get "Mind the gap!" out of my head.

For a tourist with any kind of historical bend, London is incredible. It's also incredibly expensive. As an example, I spent $40 to sit in a crappy location to watch a second division soccer team. The home side sat below the relegation line at the start of play, and the away side had just fired its coach. It was cold and wet and windy, and the place was 90% full (seats 20,000). This was south London, a PITA to get to, and not exactly a tourist destination. Chelsea or Arsenal or Tottenham I could understand, but how the heck does Millwall -- a club not exactly known for its appeal to the upper classes, or anybody else for that matter -- get people to spend $40 on a ticket?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

greenback44 wrote: Chelsea or Arsenal or Tottenham I could understand, but how the heck does Millwall -- a club not exactly known for its appeal to the upper classes, or anybody else for that matter -- get people to spend $40 on a ticket?
Nostalgia

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

London is one of my favorite cities. But i went about 20 years ago and have always wondered if I’d still find it as interesting. I do remember thinking it was expensive as [expletive].

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Since there is a wealth of information out there for the bigger draws, here are a few smaller places I've enjoyed.

Bruges, Belgium
Only spent a day here, but would definitely return. The wealth and power this city once possessed is evident. Clean, friendly, pretty easy to get around, and not overcrowded. Their canals don't smell as bad as Venice and it is cleaner than Amsterdam. Plus all of the wonderful Belgian beers.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany (Bavaria)
Well-preserved (i.e. not bombed out) medieval town. My favorite part of this visit was the schneeballen, a delicious pastry perfectly paired with coffee.

Volterra, Italy (Tuscany)
Siena, Italy (Tuscany)
Really it is hard to go wrong with anywhere in Tuscany, and I would encourage one to drive throughout the countryside and visit as many small towns/vineyards as you can. We plan to return to Italy next year and spend at least a week in Tuscany/Chianti (there are a plethora of options on airbnb to rent entire Tuscan villas in the countryside for a couple hundred bucks a night). As for these specific towns, Volterra is famous for alabaster. Siena is famous for their Beetlejuice inspired cathedral and it's insane mosaic floors, along with the Palio di Siena--a crazy bareback horse race around the town square.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'm planning to take a week vacation in December, but I have no idea where to go. My wife has been everywhere in the US, so international would be better. Ideally we'll go somewhere with an American timezone with a bit of adventure. We're not relaxing all-inclusive Cancun vacation types.

Suggestions?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

What kind of adventure?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:What kind of adventure?
Outdoors stuff like hiking, etc.

Costa Rica is a perfect example expect we've already been there.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

How much do you like the cold? I've always been intrigued by visiting Ottawa/Montreal/Quebec City during the winter. There's also skiing nearby.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Machu Picchu.

Also - bike tour in Cuba