2018 NFL Season Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 2018 NFL Season Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

The point is that running backs aren't considered to be as valuable as they used to be. Part of the reason for that is the very thing that you alluded to earlier (injury risk for RB's is really high). RB salaries have increased at a slower rate than literally any other position on the field, including kickers. Maybe you think elite RB's like Bell are immensely valuable, but the NFL doesn't, and that's what really matters. Bell is reportedly asking for $17M per year, for 5 years. That's completely out of line with what running backs are getting paid, and considering that Bell was only ranked 5th among RB's in total value last year, according to Football Outsiders advanced metrics, there's not much reason to think he'll get that kind of money.

So yeah you can look on the surface of this thing and just say "you're dumb". That's fine. In reality, it's a bit more complex than that.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Socnorb11 wrote:The point is that running backs aren't considered to be as valuable as they used to be. Part of the reason for that is the very thing that you alluded to earlier (injury risk for RB's is really high). RB salaries have increased at a slower rate than literally any other position on the field, including kickers. Maybe you think elite RB's like Bell are immensely valuable, but the NFL doesn't, and that's what really matters. Bell is reportedly asking for $17M per year, for 5 years. That's completely out of line with what running backs are getting paid, and considering that Bell was only ranked 5th among RB's in total value last year, according to Football Outsiders advanced metrics, there's not much reason to think he'll get that kind of money.

So yeah you can look on the surface of this thing and just say "you're dumb". That's fine. In reality, it's a bit more complex than that.
And you're completely missing the fact that Bell not having the wear and tear of another season is why he's actually going to be paid *more* in FA. Other teams don't give a [expletive] about his hold out. They don't think he's a bad teammate for it or will cause problems in the locker room or whatever other BS you want to buy in to. He's a proven elite RB FA with less wear and tear than others. Again, he's gonna get PAID.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:The point is that running backs aren't considered to be as valuable as they used to be. Part of the reason for that is the very thing that you alluded to earlier (injury risk for RB's is really high). RB salaries have increased at a slower rate than literally any other position on the field, including kickers. Maybe you think elite RB's like Bell are immensely valuable, but the NFL doesn't, and that's what really matters. Bell is reportedly asking for $17M per year, for 5 years. That's completely out of line with what running backs are getting paid, and considering that Bell was only ranked 5th among RB's in total value last year, according to Football Outsiders advanced metrics, there's not much reason to think he'll get that kind of money.

And you're completely missing the fact that Bell not having the wear and tear of another season is why he's actually going to be paid *more* in FA. Other teams don't give a [expletive] about his hold out. They don't think he's a bad teammate for it or will cause problems in the locker room or whatever other BS you want to buy in to. He's a proven elite RB FA with less wear and tear than others. Again, he's gonna get PAID.
I didn't say anything about him being a bad teammate, or causing locker room issues. Did you even read the content of my post? It's about the value (or perceived value, at least) of running backs, as a whole.

Personally, I think the "wear and tear" thing is overrated. It only take one hit to destroy a running back, and they get hit more often than any other player on the field. Owners & GM's aren't oblivious to that. That's part of the reason why NFL running backs don't get paid like they used to, relative to other positions.

Look at the top RB's in the league. Only 2 are making more than $10M per year. (Gurley gets $14.3M per year and David Johnson gets $13M per year). Only 6 are making more than $7M per year.

InvincibleCakeEater

Socnorb11 wrote: I didn't say anything about him being a bad teammate, or causing locker room issues. Did you even read the content of my post? It's about the value (or perceived value, at least) of running backs, as a whole.

Personally, I think the "wear and tear" thing is overrated. It only take one hit to destroy a running back, and they get hit more often than any other player on the field. Owners & GM's aren't oblivious to that. That's part of the reason why NFL running backs don't get paid like they used to, relative to other positions.

Look at the top RB's in the league. Only 2 are making more than $10M per year. (Gurley gets $14.3M per year and David Johnson gets $13M per year). Only 6 are making more than $7M per year.
Your first post was that his holdout is hurting his image.

Pointing out what the others make means nothing. He's going to get more in FA by holding out than he would have by playing and assumed ZERO risk. It's smart on his part and is in no way going to hurt his FA pay day.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Socnorb11 wrote: I didn't say anything about him being a bad teammate, or causing locker room issues. Did you even read the content of my post? It's about the value (or perceived value, at least) of running backs, as a whole.

Your first post was that his holdout is hurting his image.

Pointing out what the others make means nothing. He's going to get more in FA by holding out than he would have by playing and assumed ZERO risk. It's smart on his part and is in no way going to hurt his FA pay day.
I meant his image as a player (an RB who is irreplaceable). I have no beef with him, from a personal standpoint.

We'll never know how much he'll get by holding out vs. what he would have gotten by playing. You're correct......... he could have gotten injured and ended up with zilch. Or, he could have put up 2000 yards and banked. We'll see how it turns out. It's interesting to watch, because it's somewhat unprecedented. I hope he plays this year at some point, because he's a hulluva lot of fun to watch.

Saying that precedence means nothing makes no sense to me, but OK.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

No one is giving Bell what he’s demanding from the Steelers. This will be a glorious backfire.

InvincibleCakeEater

MAGA wrote:No one is giving Bell what he’s demanding from the Steelers. This will be a glorious backfire.
He's going to be the highest paid RB in in the NFL. Huge backfire.

InvincibleCakeEater

Watching some random ESPN show, and Tebow is their guest. No joke, his chyron says "2x National Champion, 2007 Heisman Trophy Winner, ESPN College Football Analyst, played 3 NFL seasons, current baseball player in Mets system."

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MAGA wrote:No one is giving Bell what he’s demanding from the Steelers. This will be a glorious backfire.
He's going to be the highest paid RB in in the NFL. Huge backfire.
He would have been the highest paid running back in the NFL if he had played this year.

InvincibleCakeEater

Hit NE -3 and the over. Go Chiefs!