TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Michael »

I'm late to the party with Big Mouth because the concept didn't interest me much, but I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. I just finished the the 1st season and it was fantastic.

The GRB taste makers in this thread were right.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

vinsanity wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I know i'm a broken record about loving The Good Place, but last night's episode's scene where Chidi eats a giant bowl of Peeps Chili while telling his philisophy students that life is meaningless was just so wonderfully enjoyable.
just started watching, and am halfway through season 1

one thing; please tell me Jason calms down/is less annoying as the series goes on? it's a damn funny show, but every scene he's in (now that he's speaking) is ruined for me...
If anything, the show probably amps up the traits you don't like as it goes. As my man Vinsanity said, Jason is a prime example of https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization - taking a single trait of a character and exaggerating it until it becomes the character. Some will find the "Jason is dumb" antics annoying, which I get, but I try to just enjoy the absurdist humor of his idiocy.
oof, guess I'll stick with it.

it's not so much WHAT he says....it's HOW he talks that bugs the ever living [expletive] out of me
Exactly the reason I gave up on the show somewhere in the second season. Loved everything else about it, but couldn’t take him anymore.
FWIW; I stuck with it through season 2. He stays as dumb and all the annoying traits are there but I feel as though his character is getting less lines in season 3 than he did at the end of Season 1 and through Season 2. He's less distracting in Season 3 anyway; but he would have been a more interesting character if they could make him just a little smarter and a downplayed his....accent or whatever you call it a bit.

I feel that way about all of the characters. I think they exaggerated their character flaws a little too much and a lot of the jokes seem to be the same. All of them got flanderized a little too quickly, IMO, but it's still reasonably entertaining.
I did appreciate Jason's choice at the end of last week's episode choosing between Donkey Doug and Pill Boy. I thought that was a big step forward for Jason.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

enjoyed Haunting of Hill House
except
[SHOW]
I don't know about that ending episode

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

The Jeremy Bearimy episode of Good Place was magical.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Pretty sure I saw none of these at the time.

The Haunting of Hill House: All the Hidden Ghosts You Missed

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Freed Roger wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Didnt realize that Better Call Saul season is done. Man , they are patient. I havent followed the writing process like with BB. It is like none of the writers want to bring on full Saul.
[SHOW]
The last line of the season definitely indicates it's Full Saul Time.
[SHOW]
yeah. It is happening. I though it would happen after Season 1 when he went to his buddies funeral he was going Saul
it just seems like
[SHOW]
they have a lot of storylines still to clean up to move forward still. Kim's full falling out. Mike and the meth plant/germans. Then on comes Gail to cook. And the new Salananca goon has to die. Don't get me wrong- I like it all. They have a lot that to flush out.
FWIW- i didnt watch BB until a binge after it was all done. This wait between seasons is madenning
Agreed with hating to wait between seasons; I didn't start BB until the final season and even then it became tough to wait between episodes. Like with GOT, the story kind of gets lost and is less enjoyable having to wait months to years between episodes.

Anyway, yeah there's a lot to clean up.
[SHOW]
But, the germans are pretty much gone at this point. The engineer is dead and the workers will be sent home. Gale has seen the place and given his input on what it still needs. Maybe they use the germans to put some last minute touch ups on it. But, the structure is solid and all but finished despite what the show said; all it needs is the mechanical and electrical work at this point as well as whatever cooking equipment they need which is much quicker than the structural construction. I really enjoyed their attention to detail for what it took to construct that which seemed to be somewhat realistic. Just to compare it to a normal construction project where a new building, for instance, is built on a lot....there's a ton of demo/earthwork/grading done up front followed shortly by the installation of foundations. Which they followed to a tee doing the blasting and removal of subsurface followed by temporary foundations/columns. After that the new building goes vertical and once the roof is on (in this case the support walls since it's underground), the rest of the project is all downhill as wiring, plumbing, hvac, equipment are a lot easier and faster to install than footings and structural elements. /geek

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Didnt realize that Better Call Saul season is done. Man , they are patient. I havent followed the writing process like with BB. It is like none of the writers want to bring on full Saul.
[SHOW]
The last line of the season definitely indicates it's Full Saul Time.
[SHOW]
yeah. It is happening. I though it would happen after Season 1 when he went to his buddies funeral he was going Saul
it just seems like
[SHOW]
they have a lot of storylines still to clean up to move forward still. Kim's full falling out. Mike and the meth plant/germans. Then on comes Gail to cook. And the new Salananca goon has to die. Don't get me wrong- I like it all. They have a lot that to flush out.
FWIW- i didnt watch BB until a binge after it was all done. This wait between seasons is madenning
Agreed with hating to wait between seasons; I didn't start BB until the final season and even then it became tough to wait between episodes. Like with GOT, the story kind of gets lost and is less enjoyable having to wait months to years between episodes.

Anyway, yeah there's a lot to clean up.
[SHOW]
But, the germans are pretty much gone at this point. The engineer is dead and the workers will be sent home. Gale has seen the place and given his input on what it still needs. Maybe they use the germans to put some last minute touch ups on it. But, the structure is solid and all but finished despite what the show said; all it needs is the mechanical and electrical work at this point as well as whatever cooking equipment they need which is much quicker than the structural construction. I really enjoyed their attention to detail for what it took to construct that which seemed to be somewhat realistic. Just to compare it to a normal construction project where a new building, for instance, is built on a lot....there's a ton of demo/earthwork/grading done up front followed shortly by the installation of foundations. Which they followed to a tee doing the blasting and removal of subsurface followed by temporary foundations/columns. After that the new building goes vertical and once the roof is on (in this case the support walls since it's underground), the rest of the project is all downhill as wiring, plumbing, hvac, equipment are a lot easier and faster to install than footings and structural elements. /geek
not to veer too off-topic, but i enjoyed the attention to detail on the foundation as well.

i literally watched a new hotel go up from the ground up and they spent more time (months) on the foundation than the actual building. it was fascinating.

That's the kind of detail in BB and BCS that you don't get with most shows.

Though, i gotta admit, there's almost too much detail at times--causing the show to drag a little.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Not directly on topic, but I guess this guy was in an episode of Better Call Saul ( I don't recall him)

Better Call Saul' Actor Reveals He Cut off His Own Hand, Is Not War Veteran

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:The Jeremy Bearimy episode of Good Place was magical.
the scene with the title joke had me howling

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Freed Roger wrote:Not directly on topic, but I guess this guy was in an episode of Better Call Saul ( I don't recall him)

Better Call Saul' Actor Reveals He Cut off His Own Hand, Is Not War Veteran
I think the producers of Tropic Thunder are just trying to get their stream count up.