TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by ghostrunner »

It would be weird, but interesting, if they set the next season in the future. It's funny that the future is almost exclusively covered by sci-fi. Usually there's no reason to go forward in time unless you're addressing a technology related issue, but in a continuing story like this, why not? The past is the more predictable route, and I kind of hate that the tendency is always to go with origin stories we're already somewhat familiar with.

They could make it a different house entirely I suppose.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

re: haunting of hill house. i was extremely disappointed with how it ended.

fell completely flat, i thought. it seemingly peak around episode 7.

i dunno, maybe my expectation were just set too high

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

go birds wrote:re: haunting of hill house. i was extremely disappointed with how it ended.

Seen a fair amount of that. I just think this particular story peaked in the late middle and that's how it had to be. If it ended with the house exploding or the family all being "captured" by the house, then it ruins some of the impact of the family members that died or maybe sacrificed themselves. Since it was as much about the family dynamics even more than the horror elements, that's where the resolution landed. Having said that I was still very entertained up through episode 8 at least, and there were part of the last 2 I liked a lot.

Poor [expletive] Nellie though. What a [expletive] hand to be dealt.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

go birds wrote:re: haunting of hill house. i was extremely disappointed with how it ended.

that's interesting...I just finished 9 so just have one more episode (10 ) left...was it that episode that let you down? (the last episode), or more?

because it's actually been building for me; been getting better every single episode...

the wife and I sat down to watch episode 6...then was like crap, it was awesome, so we went to 7; then 8; then 9...they just kept getting better and better.

we really wanted to stay up and just finish it/watch episode 10, but it was 2 am and saw that last episode is like 1 1/2 hours.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

cardsfantx wrote:

that's interesting...I just finished 9 so just have one more episode (10 ) left...was it that episode that let you down? (the last episode), or more?

because it's actually been building for me; been getting better every single episode...

the wife and I sat down to watch episode 6...then was like crap, it was awesome, so we went to 7; then 8; then 9...they just kept getting better and better.

we really wanted to stay up and just finish it/watch episode 10, but it was 2 am and saw that last episode is like 1 1/2 hours.
just saw the last episode...think I know what you mean.

was still a good episode; but nothing like the ones that preceded it. I know they had to wrap is up, but was hoping for a few thrills or twists or something that last episode.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

cardsfantx wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:

was still a good episode; but nothing like the ones that preceded it. I know they had to wrap is up, but was hoping for a few thrills or twists or something that last episode.
yea i was gonna wait to post until you caught the last episode
[SHOW]
can't remember the episode number, but the show peaked at nell's funeral. that episode built so much tension, which lead to my high expectations. but ultimately it fell flat with.....................whatever you want to call what happened. I'm not even sure if i fully understand the ending actually now that i think about it.

I know it would have been cliche, but i think i would have much rather have come to find out that the dad was some sort of deranged psychopath or that they were all already dead...i dunno...something other than how it unfolded.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

go birds wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:

yea i was gonna wait to post until you caught the last episode
[SHOW]
can't remember the episode number, but the show peaked at nell's funeral. that episode built so much tension, which lead to my high expectations. but ultimately it fell flat with.....................whatever you want to call what happened. I'm not even sure if i fully understand the ending actually now that i think about it.

I know it would have been cliche, but i think i would have much rather have come to find out that the dad was some sort of deranged psychopath or that they were all already dead...i dunno...something other than how it unfolded.
[SHOW]
yep, in episode 7 when the cop was in the interogation room with the dad, he said "and we haven't even talked about the other body we found there", which was Abigail I assumed that the mom killed with the tea before she killed herself? being the other body they found?

but in episode 10, the caretakers come and take the body to bury it, so there was no other body by the time they got around to calling the police the next day besides his wife...so what was that about?

I thought when the caretakers came in that last episode, then the dad kills them or something like that to protect his dead wife....maybe kills himself/something like that, and turns out he was a ghost the whole time or something...

just thought there would be a twist, like the 6th sense I guess...

I do see how they can easily make a 2nd season (and 3rd) if they wanted though...the caretaker's wife is dead, and he seems like he's not to far off from dying himself (maybe he kills himself in there to be with his wife and daughter), and the remaining Crain kids are moved away...

so they could set it a few years in the future with a new family that moves in...instead of flashbacks like season 1; it'd all be in real-time with this new family. and we'd have some connection to the ghosts now; with the caretaker (maybe the other one too), Abigail, Hugh, Olivia, and nell all being there now.

and then they could have a season 3, that would show that new family grown up and the messed up things they are dealing with as adults...basically like season 1, just split up into 2 seasons.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

but all in all, it was a very good show I thought...I just hate that horror/scary shows are hard to watch multiple times like dramas/comedies are; since the scary parts you already know are coming

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

ghostrunner wrote:

Seen a fair amount of that. I just think this particular story peaked in the late middle and that's how it had to be. If it ended with the house exploding or the family all being "captured" by the house, then it ruins some of the impact of the family members that died or maybe sacrificed themselves. Since it was as much about the family dynamics even more than the horror elements, that's where the resolution landed. Having said that I was still very entertained up through episode 8 at least, and there were part of the last 2 I liked a lot.
I enjoyed the finale simply because of the bolded part. It was a character drama set around a haunted house. They resolved the character drama and answered the questions.

I just hope they let it be and try to tackle something else similar. There are other traditional stories that make more sense as a 10 hour tv show than a 2-3 hour movie.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Auditioning for editors for my posts. I hate when i not write so good.