GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 11 19, 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
PostPosted: November 13 18, 11:24 am 
Don't tone police me bro!

It seems pretty clear to me that she's picking up Bernie's torch as the new face of the Democratic grassroots. I'm excited to see how her career pans out.

PostPosted: November 13 18, 11:25 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

She must be doing something right because the right wing propaganda machine is going after her hard.

PostPosted: November 13 18, 11:30 am 
Hall Of Famer

IMADreamer wrote:
She must be doing something right because the right wing propaganda machine is going after her hard.

She can wear their scorn as a badge of honor.

PostPosted: November 13 18, 11:31 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Hope there are additional progressive candidates like her. Can't put all the hope on her. As Dreamer points out, she has the propaganda target on her.

PostPosted: November 13 18, 11:35 am 
Perennial All-Star

I figured this was going to be about how she’s upset Amazon chose NYC for HQ2

PostPosted: November 13 18, 12:08 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

I like her because she is a real person, a real citizen, and she can speak to the actual lived experience of most Americans. People, Fox News in particular, wanted to shame her last week because she can't afford an apartment in DC until her salary kicks in. Hahaha, stupid poor person. Poor people don't have valid ideas, right? Laugh it up, conservatives. AOC is a sign of things to come. Progressive candidates who can speak to material lives of the majority of Americans and legislate from a place of understanding. Leave the millionaires in charge and we will just get more pro-millionaire govt. policy.

Another progressive who really speaks to me is Ayanna Pressley from Boston, a black women who unseated a 10 term incumbent Democrat and caught flack from the Democratic establishment for it. I hadn't heard anything about her until I heard her interviewed before the mid-terms. She makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. Link

Quote:
AUDIE CORNISH, BYLINE: Our next guest pulled off one of the biggest upset wins of the primary season when she dethroned a 10-term Democratic incumbent in Massachusetts. Boston City Councilwoman Ayanna Pressley had spent more than a decade working in politics as an aide to lawmakers like Senator John Kerry before she decided she should be the candidate.

AYANNA PRESSLEY: I've certainly been toiling in the vineyard of democratic politics working hard to elect Democrats in the Commonwealth and throughout our country. And so for people to tell me that I should wait my turn, my mother did not raise me to ask permission to lead. And so I raised my hand.

CORNISH: I spoke to her about some of the obstacles she faced when she decided to run for Congress.

PRESSLEY: What did trouble me and hurt me was that I was daunted by the charges of identity politics throughout my campaign. And it was just sort of an assumption that my message was not appealing to or that my work had not been to the benefit of a broad and diverse coalition of many people. And that was hurtful because that is a play out of the GOP handbook, not a charge that I would have expected to be lobbied against me by Democrats and certainly not people that consider themselves to be progressive.

CORNISH: I want to jump in here because there are Democratic groups that did not necessarily endorse your campaign - right? - the Congressional Black Caucus PAC, also EMILY's List. You had people like Deval Patrick, a former governor, you had John Lewis of Georgia, the civil rights legend, who all came down for your opponent, Mike Capuano. What kind of message did that send to you?

PRESSLEY: Well, first and foremost, I'm no neophyte to this, and I knew what I was getting into. There is usually a default to incumbency. I did not expect that I would have the support of the establishment locally or nationally. I knew this would be lonely. I knew it would be uphill. I knew that it would be bruising.

CORNISH: You mentioned the idea of having to go up against incumbents - right? - in a Democratic establishment. What are some of the obstacles that people who are newer to politics are going to face, especially as black women? Are there other kinds of aspects to running that they may be locked out of either by tradition or through other factors?

PRESSLEY: Well (laughter) listen; I was told everything from I shouldn't be wearing my hair in twists, I shouldn't wear hoops, I shouldn't be as transparent about my personal hardships, and I think that more of us need to feel empowered to stand in our truth and to authentically represent our lived experience. What my family dealt with - the destabilization and devastation of mass incarceration, having a loved one that was incarcerated in our household, of having a loved one battling addiction, of sexual trauma and violence and the stigma of that - these are universal challenges.

CORNISH: So it was the idea that your very biography is the kind of thing that people might have looked at as a disadvantage and that's a thing you felt like you had to turn into an advantage in some way.

PRESSLEY: Absolutely. People said because I don't have a degree that I have no business running for office. I left school not because I didn't know the value of an education but because my mother got sick, and she lost her job. And I was her caregiver in battling that pre-existing condition of leukemia, which ultimately took her life. That is a story that millions of Americans can relate to, and we need more people that are governing from a place of lived experience because these are the experiences of millions. And the reason why so many policies don't work for people is because people are not at the center of those policies.

PostPosted: November 13 18, 12:11 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

G. Keenan wrote:
I like her because she is a real person, a real citizen, and she can speak to the actual lived experience of most Americans. People, Fox News in particular, wanted to shame her last week because she can't afford an apartment in DC until her salary kicks in. Hahaha, stupid poor person. Poor people don't have valid ideas, right? Laugh it up, conservatives. AOC is a sign of things to come. Progressive candidates who can speak to material lives of the majority of Americans and legislate from a place of understanding. Leave the millionaires in charge and we will just get more pro-millionaire govt. policy.

Another progressive who really speaks to me is Ayanna Pressley from Boston, a black women who unseated a 10 term incumbent Democrat and caught flack from the Democratic establishment for it. I hadn't heard anything about her until I heard her interviewed before the mid-terms. She makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. Link

thanks for the tip! i hadn't heard of her.

I like this-- even though I don't think that protesters need 'specific demands' to make their protests heard-- it certainly helps to show up with receipts

PostPosted: November 13 18, 12:46 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I like the way AOC frames all this, especially w/r/t Pelosi.

Quote:
Ocasio-Cortez, the youngest woman ever elected to Congress, said she wants to show Pelosi that "we're here to back her up in pushing for 100 percent renewable energy."

"This is not about me, this is not about the dynamics of any personalities," she told reporters outside Pelosi's office. "But this is about uplifting the voice and the message of the fact that we need a Green New Deal and we need to get to 100 percent renewables because our lives depend on it."

Ocasio-Cortez said she is thinking of the issue not just as an elected member of Congress, but as a 29-year-old woman who is concerned about the country over the next 30 years.

"I don't want to see Miami under water," she said. "I don't want to see my district under water. And I know that Leader Pelosi doesn't either."

Ocasio-Cortez said she admires that Pelosi comes from "a space of activism and organizing."

"I think that she really appreciates civic engagement," she said.

She later added: "What I hope we show is that this is an encouragement of her and that we're here to back up bold action."

PostPosted: November 13 18, 1:24 pm 
Perennial All-Star

ghostrunner wrote:
I like the way AOC frames all this, especially w/r/t Pelosi.

Quote:
Ocasio-Cortez, the youngest woman ever elected to Congress, said she wants to show Pelosi that "we're here to back her up in pushing for 100 percent renewable energy."

... "But this is about uplifting the voice and the message of the fact that we need a Green New Deal and we need to get to 100 percent renewables because our lives depend on it."

Ocasio-Cortez said she is thinking of the issue not just as an elected member of Congress, but as a 29-year-old woman who is concerned about the country over the next 30 years.

"I don't want to see Miami under water," she said. "I don't want to see my district under water. And I know that Leader Pelosi doesn't either."

She later added: "What I hope we show is that this is an encouragement of her and that we're here to back up bold action."

Hallelujah! I've been wondering if this would ever be attempted, because it is sorely needed.

I don't know much about her, but a candidate's environmental stance holds significance sway in how I vote, so I'm on board her bus.

PostPosted: November 13 18, 2:20 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
G. Keenan wrote:
Another progressive who really speaks to me is Ayanna Pressley from Boston, a black women who unseated a 10 term incumbent Democrat and caught flack from the Democratic establishment for it. I hadn't heard anything about her until I heard her interviewed before the mid-terms. She makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.

I've been very impressed. She was covered extensively up here in New England. Boston TV even broke into national election coverage when she won to air her victory speech.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next