'Red Dirt Country' - A new adventure

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

'Red Dirt Country' - A new adventure

Post by Leroy »

A month or so ago, I joined a group that plays music that I never really listened to before. It is country, but they refer to it as 'Red Dirt Country'. It took some getting used to, but I am enjoying it. Their favorite group is Turnpike Troubadours, but there is a lot in that genre, at least according to Spotify.

Probably the best part is that the other guys are pretty good writers and the original stuff I've worked on seems good to me. We are hoping to throw a demo together before Christmas (fingers crossed).

Everything seems to fit together so far, step one is always finding other band members you can stand. It is a lot like being married, you spend so much time together it doesn't take long to know what works and what doesn't.

Anyway, if I get some of our live video transferred to youtube, I'll post it here. See what GRB thinks of it (I really do value opinions here).

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: 'Red Dirt Country' - A new adventure

Post by sighyoung »

Leroy wrote:A month or so ago, I joined a group that plays music that I never really listened to before. It is country, but they refer to it as 'Red Dirt Country'. It took some getting used to, but I am enjoying it. Their favorite group is Turnpike Troubadours, but there is a lot in that genre, at least according to Spotify.

Probably the best part is that the other guys are pretty good writers and the original stuff I've worked on seems good to me. We are hoping to throw a demo together before Christmas (fingers crossed).

Everything seems to fit together so far, step one is always finding other band members you can stand. It is a lot like being married, you spend so much time together it doesn't take long to know what works and what doesn't.

Anyway, if I get some of our live video transferred to youtube, I'll post it here. See what GRB thinks of it (I really do value opinions here).
I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Am familiar with Turnpike Troubadours. They get airtime on Saturdays on 88.1 kdhx. Good stuff. Hope to you hear your music Leroy.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I’ve seen the term thrown around the last few years but wasn’t sure what to make of it. Seems like one of the more country strains of Alt County/Americana which is to say, country music they don’t play on the radio.
Sounds like fun.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Country music that started in Texas and Oklahoma we’re the dirt is red. Bob Childers is one of the originals, Robert earl keen is another original but some consider him Texas country not red dirt. They aren’t the same genre but there is a lot of cross over. red dirt was really starting to get its feet under it when I was at OSU and Stillwater is kind of ground zero. The Great Divide were set to take off on the national scene when marital conflicts caused them to break up. Cross Canadian Ragweed probably enjoyed the most mainstream success prior to Turnpike. Jason Boland is one of my favorites, he was still with Stoney Larue when I was at OSU got to see them play the Wormy Dog which was awesome. Garth Brooks was never really red dirt but has a lot of connections with some of the red dirt pioneers. Cody Jenks is my current fave but he’s one that could also be called Texas country instead of red dirt.

It’s my favorite genre and has been for quite some time. If you get down this way I’d love to see you play live Leroy.
Last edited by Diddy on November 15 18, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Leroy wrote:A month or so ago, I joined a group that plays music that I never really listened to before. It is country, but they refer to it as 'Red Dirt Country'. It took some getting used to, but I am enjoying it. Their favorite group is Turnpike Troubadours, but there is a lot in that genre, at least according to Spotify.

Hey, are you going to get a chance to look over what I sent you? It might fit well with what you're doing.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I enjoy Cross Canadian Ragweed and Whiskey Myers.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Following.

I've never heard of Red Dirt Country. But I must confess, country (modern country) is about my least favorite genre. I do like blue grass and can listen to olllllddd country though. I'd love to hear your stuff. Please do post!

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

GeddyWrox wrote:Following.

I've never heard of Red Dirt Country. But I must confess, country (modern country) is about my least favorite genre. I do like blue grass and can listen to olllllddd country though. I'd love to hear your stuff. Please do post!
Well it’s nothing like modern Nashville country music, which resembles late 90’s pop more then country

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:Following.

Just to high jack this a bit, check out Strugill Simpson and Tyler Childers. Best "country" artists out there today.