NFL is a bunch of limp wristed libs. We need an alternative.

A forum for non-baseball sports
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: NFL is a bunch of limp wristed libs. We need an alternat

Post by Fat Strat »

I am starting to think that there is a model here where this will work, in the same sense that the Arena Football League works and the National Lacrosse League works (such a thing apparently exists). There's a real sports gap from the mid-January through the start of MLB, NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs. A 10 week season starting on ProBowl weekend would carry through to the first week of April. The only major sporting event in that time frame is NCAAB. The only football event in that time frame is the Combine. I would actually put the XFL -- or whatever this is called -- championship on the Sunday of the NFL draft so you can take advantage of that little pocket of football interest in the middle of spring.

You just have to think of yourself not as a competitor against the NFL but as a parasite, leaching some of the NFL/NCAAF fans during their break. It's not going to be great or make a ton of money, but it could be a viable league. I actually think I could find myself watching some on a Sunday afternoon between naps.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I think most everybody is ready for the break from football by february though.

The lost opportunity is the NHL - they should be in the middle of the playoffs now.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Freed Roger wrote:I think most everybody is ready for the break from football by february though.

The lost opportunity is the NHL - they should be in the middle of the playoffs now.
Mostly agree. Should be nearing onset of playoffs.

From 1975 to 1995 they extended the playoffs by a month. The NFL by 2 weeks with far fewer games thus far less of a commitment to sticking with it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

what about an alternative to the alternative?
While Vince McMahon promises to bring back a revamped XFL in 2020, a son of McMahon's partner in the original short-lived XFL venture said his football league will come first. And some big NFL names will be involved.

Charlie Ebersol, who directed a documentary on the XFL that aired last year as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series, announced Tuesday that his league, the Alliance of American Football, plans to debut Feb. 9, 2019, the week after Super Bowl LIII. The season will run 10 weeks and will have 50-man teams.
To help him steer the league, Ebersol brought on former NFL general manager Bill Polian, currently an analyst for ESPN. The player side will be overseen by former Pro Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, while the team side will be guided by former USC standout and executive J.K. McKay.

Advisers to the league also will include former NFL players Hines Ward and Justin Tuck, as well as Dick Ebersol.

While McMahon's league is backed by McMahon's money, Ebersol's league is backed by others, including former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, Peter Thiel's Founders Fund and The Chernin Group, which, among other investments, owns a significant share of Barstool Sports.
peter thiel money in this one, mcmahon money in the xfl, jerry jones money in the nfl. gross

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2284 ... all-league

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Oliver Luck will become the first commissioner and chief executive officer of the XFL, it was announced Tuesday.

"The XFL will be a labor of love as I get to combine my experiences as a player and executive," Luck told ESPN in an email. "I'm thrilled to have this unique opportunity to reimagine the game that has been a constant in my life for 40 years."

Luck will leave his leadership role at the NCAA, where he oversaw the organization's regulatory functions, including eligibility requirements and academic affairs, and the eligibility center.

He will relocate from Indianapolis, where his son Andrew Luck is the quarterback for the Colts, to the XFL's headquarters in Connecticut as he prepares for the league's launch in 2020.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2370 ... er-ceo-xfl

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
We already have pro football in St. Louis - CBC High school