Test Your Baseball Knowledge

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Birdfan57
Veteran Player

Re: Test Your Baseball Knowledge

Post by Birdfan57 »

To the other end of the state! To mess up a messed up situation?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

So my parents saved a book I wrote in late 1987 when I was 9 years old. It contains several essays about baseball that are pretty amazing and cringe-inducing. But I also wrote a baseball trivia challenge, which I will now present to you, dear GRB readers. Remember...answer as though it is still November 1987. It is long and fairly detailed for a 9 year old.

1. What Cardinals center fielder drove in over 100 runs in 1952?
2. Where were the Browns from?
3. What Cardinals pitcher had the lowest ERA in 1987?
4. Who led the Major Leagues in home runs in 1961?
5. Who had the lowest ERA in Major League history?
6. What Cardinal hitters had grand slams in 1987? [editor's note: there were 3!]
7. Where did the Pilots play?
8. Who was the last Cardinal pitcher to pitch 10 shutouts in a season?
9. Who holds the record for all-time hits?
10. What's the name of the Reds' home stadium?
11. What two players homered in 8 consecutive games?
12. Who was the first Cardinal to hit a home run at Busch Stadium? [editor's note: I meant Busch II, not knowing that in the future there would be a Busch III]
13. Who was the first player to hit a home run at Busch Stadium?
14. Did Matty Alou ever play for the Cardinals?
15. Who holds the record for most stolen bases in a season and how many is it?
16. What team won the most World Series games?
17. What team did Lou Brock first play for?
18. True or False: Roger Maris is in the Hall of Fame.
19. True or False: Mickey Mantle is in the Hall of Fame.
20. Is the distance between the bases 90 feet?
21. How many career home runs did Harmon Kilibrew hit?

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

That sounds like a cool keepsake. It's neat your parents saved it.
heyzeus wrote: 20. Is the distance between the bases 90 feet?
I'm not sure if 9-year-old heyzeus intended this as a trick question, but the actual distance between bases is a a couple feet short of 90. The rulebook has you construct a 90x90 foot square to mark the position of the bases, but first, third, and home are all completely inside that square, so 90 feet is the distance between the bases plus the width of the bases themselves.

Basically, it's 90 feet from the third base line to the back edge of first base, but there's only about 87-88 feet actually between home plate and first (or third) base. The distance between first/third and second is a bit different because home plate is a different size/shape and because second base is placed differently (with its center on the intersection point of the 90x90 square rather than its back corner like the other bases), so there isn't even one defined distance between bases. Which means even if you defined the distance being from back edge to back edge, it still wouldn't be 90 feet for all bases.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Kincaid wrote:That sounds like a cool keepsake. It's neat your parents saved it.
I'm not sure if 9-year-old heyzeus intended this as a trick question, but the actual distance between bases is a a couple feet short of 90. The rulebook has you construct a 90x90 foot square to mark the position of the bases, but first, third, and home are all completely inside that square, so 90 feet is the distance between the bases plus the width of the bases themselves.

Basically, it's 90 feet from the third base line to the back edge of first base, but there's only about 87-88 feet actually between home plate and first (or third) base. The distance between first/third and second is a bit different because home plate is a different size/shape and because second base is placed differently (with its center on the intersection point of the 90x90 square rather than its back corner like the other bases), so there isn't even one defined distance between bases. Which means even if you defined the distance being from back edge to back edge, it still wouldn't be 90 feet for all bases.
9 year old 'Zeus definitely just assumed it's 90 feet no matter what. Probably 40 year old Zeus did too.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Kincaid wrote:That sounds like a cool keepsake. It's neat your parents saved it.

Move this to the sounds fake but is true thread. Broke my brain.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

heyzeus wrote:21. How many career home runs did Harmon Kilibrew hit?
573. And I didn't look that up.
amiright?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Radbird wrote:
amiright?
NO. 578. You're permabanned.

I only asked that question because for some reason I had a Harmon Kilibrew baseball card that showed his career totals, and I liked it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i can't help but think of MK when i see this thread

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

heyzeus wrote:
Radbird wrote:
amiright?
NO. 578. You're permabanned.

I only asked that question because for some reason I had a Harmon Kilibrew baseball card that showed his career totals, and I liked it.
I lived in Idaho in the 90's and Harmon lived in a little town down the road from Boise. He'd pop up on the news every now and then. A very cool guy. He's the little guy in my avatar.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

The Cardinals batted out of turn twice in one month and never again after that.

Without looking, what year was that?

Without looking, when did it last happen in MLB?