movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: movies

Post by ghostrunner »

Seemed like those first two segments in Scruggs were a fun excuse to play with conventions. In that first one you have this little singing cowboy who's unexpectedly a badass, but then he slowly comes into focus as a sadistic braggart. So in a short amount of time you're ready to see him get his comeuppance, yet that happens fairly suddenly and in a way you can't enjoy. I could also see him as a screwball twist on their semi-supernatural villains like Chigurgh, the biker in Raising Arizona, or the Sheriff in O Brother.

Almost all of them headed in a different direction from where I thought they were going except the last one. Pretty obvious what's happening, but I found myself distracted by the one physical body being taken to the afterlife along with the 3 souls. Probably not worth overthinking, but it threw me a bit.

I paused and read the words on the pages. Not much to be gleaned there, but it does confirm what's up in the last segment if you had any doubt.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Thrill wrote:
While I was watching Buster Scruggs, I was like, "this is a very minor Coen work" and then I couldn't stop thinking about it for two days straight. It's so good. It probably is minor Coen canon, but that's still enough to be a best of the year contender.
Great short form story-telling, which presumably is a challenge to pull off. Kind of reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock Presents or Twilight Zone in that short story sense. Only not homegenized for 60s TV, bigger effort, better production value etc.

NPR/Fresh air/Terry Gross has a recent interview with the Bros if interested. Talks about the challenges with filming of the wagon train etc.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Got roped into 2 rom-coms and 1 historical drama over the holiday.

"Mother's Day" - impressive ensemble cast, and has its funny & relatable moments. However, the editing wasn't great. Why include 5 second scenes? You didn't really convey anything, so just leave it out. 3 out of 5 stars.

"Baby Mama" - Fey & Poehler, so I was hoping for funny. It was... sporadically. That's one where I'd like my 90 minutes back. 1 out of 5 stars.

"Parkland" - It's from 2013, yet other than Billy Bob Thornton, Paul Giamatti & Zac Efron, the cast is mostly a bunch of "that guy"s. The guy who played Superman on "Smallville"; one of the guys from "The League"; etc. It was good, but not great. 3 out of 5 stars.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

mikechamp wrote:Got roped into 2 rom-coms and 1 historical drama over the holiday.

"Mother's Day" - impressive ensemble cast, and has its funny & relatable moments. However, the editing wasn't great. Why include 5 second scenes? You didn't really convey anything, so just leave it out. 3 out of 5 stars.

"Baby Mama" - Fey & Poehler, so I was hoping for funny. It was... sporadically. That's one where I'd like my 90 minutes back. 1 out of 5 stars.

"Parkland" - It's from 2013, yet other than Billy Bob Thornton, Paul Giamatti & Zac Efron, the cast is mostly a bunch of "that guy"s. The guy who played Superman on "Smallville"; one of the guys from "The League"; etc. It was good, but not great. 3 out of 5 stars.
Which one was the historical drama?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

lukethedrifter wrote:
mikechamp wrote:Got roped into 2 rom-coms and 1 historical drama over the holiday.

Baby Mama.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

Michael wrote:Outlaw King on netflix is unforgivably boring.
Indeed. It was interesting, but a total snoozefest.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

lukethedrifter wrote:

Well played, Mauer.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

ghostrunner wrote:Found out my library is going to start offering this streaming service soon:

https://www.kanopy.com/about-us/libraries

Kanopy has a smallish library but a lot of classic and independent movies. Lots of instructional/educational videos too apparently.
Well this finally happened. They’ve got the full A24 library and a lot of older Criterion Collection. Lots of good stuff.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Watched White Christmas tonight... it's a whole lotta white and not a lot of Christmas.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Anyone seen "Green BooK"