2018-19 NBA Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: 2018-19 NBA Thread

Post by 33anda3rd »

The coach is awful because Boylan says he's going to play a slower paced game. This just isn't something you do in today's NBA. You'll lose. A lot.

As far as what they are now, they're on average getting outscored by 9.4 PPG. That's ugly. But Lauri has only played a couple games, Dunn has played 1 game. Portis only four. Dunn + Portis + Lauri last year combined per 36 minutes for 56 points, 25.2 rebounds, 11.4 assists and 4.3 steals. That's a lot of lost production.

On the roster currently 24 years old or younger...well, it's basically everyone except Lopez, Justin, Felicio and Shaq Harrison. Even Jabari Parker is only 23. They're young. There's talent. There's ceiling left on a lot of these kids. That doesn't translate to wins this year but there's something to look forward to.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

33anda3rd wrote:The coach is awful because Boylan says he's going to play a slower paced game. This just isn't something you do in today's NBA. You'll lose. A lot.

As far as what they are now, they're on average getting outscored by 9.4 PPG. That's ugly. But Lauri has only played a couple games, Dunn has played 1 game. Portis only four. Dunn + Portis + Lauri last year combined per 36 minutes for 56 points, 25.2 rebounds, 11.4 assists and 4.3 steals. That's a lot of lost production.

On the roster currently 24 years old or younger...well, it's basically everyone except Lopez, Justin, Felicio and Shaq Harrison. Even Jabari Parker is only 23. They're young. There's talent. There's ceiling left on a lot of these kids. That doesn't translate to wins this year but there's something to look forward to.

Sorry, I probably didn't express my sentiment properly. You're right. They're either the youngest, or 2nd youngest team in the NBA.

My point is that changes coaches isn't going to change the outcome. Hoiberg never had a chance to win with the roster that he had. I'm not saying that Hoiberg is good or bad, and I'm not saying that Boylan is good or bad. At this stage in the process, it doesn't matter much..... they're not going to win with either. That's not to say that the young kids won't get better, and maybe they'll win in a couple of years. We'll see.

I heard Boylan say something about getting more effort from the players. I just don't buy that. These are adults. They're professional basketball players. Having a better cheerleader on the bench isn't going to change a thing.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The 2017 draft is probably going to be historic. There are a couple notable things. First, the depth of talent. Second, Markelle Fultz will probably be the biggest bust from the #1 overall slot in modern history.

What about Greg Odom? Odom was the consensus #1, whereas Fultz was not. There were options. Nobody had Durant as #1, and it was a very shallow draft--the fifth best player out of that draft was....I don't know, Joakim Noah?
Anthony Bennett? He wasn't an entirely consensus #1, but he was a pretty sure thing. The players who have shined in that draft were low on draft boards--Giannis and Gobert esp. Oladipo was a late bloomer at Indiana, CJ McCollum was considered an undersized guy without an NBA body IIRC, and Otto had a quick exit from the NCAA that left some stink on him in the draft. Bennett wasn't a consensus #1, but he was a very heavy favorite and there wasn't much doubt he'd go #1.
It's tough to ding a team who busts out when they take the consensus guy.

But Fultz was #1 in a draft in which he was not a consensus #1. People thought it would be him or Ball, and you could have made an argument for Tatum (who the Celtics traded down for because they liked him as the best player in the draft--had they kept the pick Tatum would have gone #1) or Fox, who was probably the best two-way player in the draft and had the most competitiveness in him and who has come into his own as a very good PG in his second year. That draft, after Fultz, produced Ball, Tatum, Mitchell, Fox, Markkanen, Adebayo, John Collins, Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Kuzma, Isaac, and Josh Hart, all of whom are at worst vital role players on their teams in just their sophomore years. That's 12 guys who are already better than the #1 pick in that draft. If you put those 13 names in a hat and had to draw one to take on your team today, Fultz is the one name in that list that you'd be like "oh, man, I hope I don't draw Fultz."

When is the last time that happened, where you had guys in the double-digits from a draft who were vital contributors in year two, let alone that happening while the #1 overall pick is disappearing into obscurity before our eyes?

The only other real stinker from that draft so far is Josh Jackson, taken by Phoenix, a team who has been in the top 4 for 3 years running, has drafted TWLEVE first round picks since 2013, and who is still the worst team in the NBA.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Gonna go watch Da Bulls play Da Celtics at Da UC tonight. All I want is Lauri to look good and Carter to look good and Jabari to try on D and the game to be competitive.

They'll probably lose by 25.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

33anda3rd wrote:When is the last time that happened, where you had guys in the double-digits from a draft who were vital contributors in year two, let alone that happening while the #1 overall pick is disappearing into obscurity before our eyes?
2013, Anthony Bennett went #1 while McCollum(10) and Giannis(15) became indispensable pretty quickly.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Bennett wasn’t a sure thing. He was like 8th overall on most big boards

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

33anda3rd wrote:Gonna go watch Da Bulls play Da Celtics at Da UC tonight. All I want is Lauri to look good and Carter to look good and Jabari to try on D and the game to be competitive.

They'll probably lose by 25.
Did you mean 55?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

At least you saw some history 33. Worst Bulls home loss of all time.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:When is the last time that happened, where you had guys in the double-digits from a draft who were vital contributors in year two, let alone that happening while the #1 overall pick is disappearing into obscurity before our eyes?
2013, Anthony Bennett went #1 while McCollum(10) and Giannis(15) became indispensable pretty quickly.
No I mean a double digit amount of players who were this good less than 1.5 years from the draft while the overall 1 was written off.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:At least you saw some history 33. Worst Bulls home loss of all time.
I can now say I've been at:
The biggest loss in Bulls history
The biggest win in Celtics history

Just a garbage ass game. Bulls were pure trash. The real crap about it is that they lost the 4th quarter 40-17 with the garbage time players on the court. And because Boston only dressed 12 guys, their garbage time unit was Rozier/Hayward/Yabusele/Ojeleye/Jaylen and then Theis after Yabusele went down with an ankle injury that looked kinda bad.

Few things really rubbed me the wrong way with the United Center experience last night.

First, the PA announcer couldn't pronounce Semi Ojeleye's last name. (OH-zhuh-lay). At one point Ojeleye scored and the PA guy, announcing the basket, just goes "Semi....." and dropped the last name. He mispronounced it a couple times. For me not to know how to pronounce it is ok, for the PA announcer or TV guy to biff it is plain unprofessional.

Second, when Yabusele got hurt he went down hard, screamed, pounded the floor. The whole team stood around him for a while, then he got carried off. The UC was playing some dumb STOMP YOUR FEET graphic on the jumbotron with this loud techno music blaring. Bush league. When a player goes down the arena should go silent, IMO, out of respect for the player.

Third, the energy is gone. I remember the old building when I was in middle school and thinking the place was going to fall apart from all the stomping and screaming. I remember the first time I was there that they shut the lights out and played that song that they play and the place erupting. Every Blackhawks game is lively and fun in that building. But there is no energy in the United Center for the Bulls anymore. They announce the visiting team and Benny The Bull (the most entertaining employee in the building now) sits in a lawn chair and reads a newspaper like he's disinterested in the visiting team that will beat the Bulls by 56 points, then the lights go out and the music plays and they announce Arcidiogiodanocordino and LaVine and like 4 people in the building pretend to care. It's bleak, and depressing. I go about once a month now, down from 2-3X/month a few years ago, and every game I go to there is less energy in the building. I'd rather drive to Milwaukee or Indy, and that's a sad state of affairs when 'Sconnies are more pumped for NBA than Chicagoans.