A non political Elon Musk story and the LAD

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: A non political Elon Musk story and the LAD

Post by ghostrunner »

TheoSqua wrote:I feel that this tunnel is getting unfair criticism for the stage of development that it's in. Musk tends to treat his companies like tech startups and iterates his progress similar to software development. Sometimes that's really good because they can quickly adjust, sometimes it's problematic because very expensive robust processes like car manufacturing does not lend itsself to this style of improvement.

As a software developer this kind of thing looks very familiar to me. When building a software POC the initial demo is almost always built with smoke and mirrors and requires using your imagination to see the potential. This project started with figuring out how to quickly build a tunnel that was cost effective, how to transport, how to move those transports, etc. The fact that it's a tesla just tell you they're not in that phase of their iterative development, not that they expect to change the world by duct taping some attachments onto a tesla and calling it a day.

All this demo is showing us is that The Boring Company can build a tunnel with their existing technology that can transport people through it. Just like Space X and their continuous improvements to their rocket technology, this solution is going to evolve and be polished over and over and over and over again until it accomplishes their end goal.

I'm not saying it's going to revolutionize anything, and i'm not convinced it's going to be anything but a failure - but the fact that they aren't fully polished means very little to the potential they can bring to the market.
The end goal doesn’t sound smart though. It’s an underground high speed bus.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

ghostrunner wrote:The end goal doesn’t sound smart though. It’s an underground high speed bus.
Or is it super smart? Once the surface of the planet has been rendered uninhabitable due to climate change and sea rise maybe we'll have to rely on tunnels for all travel. I say they are just way ahead of things.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I think the thing that bothers me about this idea and some others of a similar vein is how...incurious the people providing the supposed solution are. What indication is there that anyone with the Boring Company and especially Musk have deeply thought on or considered the history of transit and city planning? Instead it sounds like they sat around talking about the problem, tried to come up with an outside the box idea, and the one they like best they then engineered to the best of their abilities, then floated the idea to the internet for some city to try to latch onto for the PR. I don't think you need to pay deference or that there aren't any new ideas, but I also think these are people who are very much not subject matter experts claiming to be so.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I think the thing that bothers me about this idea and some others of a similar vein is how...incurious the people providing the supposed solution are. What indication is there that anyone with the Boring Company and especially Musk have deeply thought on or considered the history of transit and city planning? Instead it sounds like they sat around talking about the problem, tried to come up with an outside the box idea, and the one they like best they then engineered to the best of their abilities, then floated the idea to the internet for some city to try to latch onto for the PR. I don't think you need to pay deference or that there aren't any new ideas, but I also think these are people who are very much not subject matter experts claiming to be so.
yeah, that's musk in a nutshell. My mentor has spoken with Musk about the neuralink project. Came away with a big yikes.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Political comment warning.

Many times I feel like Elon Musk is the other side od Donald Trump’s coin.