Ottavino says game is different now and Babe would struggle

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
dan_yall
Veteran Player

Re: Ottavino says game is different now and Babe would strug

Post by dan_yall »

NDark wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
MAGA wrote:Barry Bonds didn’t play the aliens. He doesn’t count.
Right because there were no aliens, whereas there were black guys who were not allowed to play. So you've kinda equated keeping out black people who wanted to play with keeping out aliens who were never present. How very MAGA of you.
True, but I'll throw in another thought. Back when the Babe played baseball was the main sport. Now of course anyone with the talent is able to play but I would suggest that the best athletes of today and the last couple decades really have been drawn to other sports over baseball.
Yeah, but the US population was a lot smaller and the sport is now hugely popular internationally. I'd guess that today's talent pool is still larger than the combined black and white talent pool of the 20's and 30's.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

dan_yall wrote:
NDark wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Right because there were no aliens, whereas there were black guys who were not allowed to play. So you've kinda equated keeping out black people who wanted to play with keeping out aliens who were never present. How very MAGA of you.
True, but I'll throw in another thought. Back when the Babe played baseball was the main sport. Now of course anyone with the talent is able to play but I would suggest that the best athletes of today and the last couple decades really have been drawn to other sports over baseball.
Yeah, but the US population was a lot smaller and the sport is now hugely popular internationally. I'd guess that today's talent pool is still larger than the combined black and white talent pool of the 20's and 30's.
The talent pool is infinitely larger.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

This is the dumbest [expletive] you've ever posted dude.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Barry Bonds didn’t play with mainland Chinese and Indian people. In the event that baseball spreads to those 2.5b people, the person who would be best in that timeline would be superior to Barry Bonds because Bonds didn’t play with THOSE people?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Lock it up

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

MAGA wrote:Barry Bonds didn’t play with mainland Chinese and Indian people. In the event that baseball spreads to those 2.5b people, the person who would be best in that timeline would be superior to Barry Bonds because Bonds didn’t play with THOSE people?
Were those people banned from playing in his league and were they playing in separate leagues along with being demeaned as a people systemically while he played?

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

What bearing does the nature of the separation have on the overall point we’re discussing. Babe Ruth’s capabilities/accomplishments are belittled by some because he didn’t play alongside POC. Well, there’s 2.5b people in Asia who haven’t embraced baseball. If/when they do, will that diminish the accomplishments of players today? By that initial logic, it must. Because it’s about overall talent pool.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Don't feed the troll.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

No point in letting this continue.