Andrew Miller to the Cardinals

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Andrew Miller to the Cardinals

Post by sighyoung »

heyzeus wrote:I had a dream last night that we traded Fowler to Russia. I have no idea what that means.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Great now I have to tell my family why I just Lol’d.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

jagtrader wrote:It's "hard to get excited" about Paul Goldschmidt. Baseball fandom has gotten weird.
Paul Goldschmidt for a year is exciting but you’re being obtuse if that’s what you took from my post.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

sighyoung wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I had a dream last night that we traded Fowler to Russia. I have no idea what that means.
lol

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:Great now I have to tell my family why I just Lol’d.
You should always have an open tab on cat videos so you can deflect attention. Figured a lawyer of your standing would know that.

Cardspitching715
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Cardspitching715 »

Could the cArds ever use an “opener”? And if so isn’t Miller the prime candidate to do so?

Phansett
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Phansett »

I have struggled with this thought for a while - 4 openers, 4 long relief paired up and 4 situational bullpen-only guys. If openers and middle go 4 innings each, 40 games, that’s 160 innings from 8. Innings seems doable. Can they go every 4 games vice 5 if innings limited? Between Martinez, Mikolas, Wacha, Flaherty, Hudson, Gomber, Poncedeleon, Gant, Helsey, Wainwright - pick 8 with best pairings.
Then have to pick 4 between those not in 8 plus Hicks, Miller, Leone, Brebbia, Shreve, Cecil, Gregerson, Mayers, Cabrera, etc. oh yeah, and Reyes.

We have too many “good” arms on the 40 and 25. Not enough excellent. Gonna be interesting how it all shakes out.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Phansett wrote:I have struggled with this thought for a while - 4 openers, 4 long relief paired up and 4 situational bullpen-only guys. If openers and middle go 4 innings each, 40 games, that’s 160 innings from 8. Innings seems doable. Can they go every 4 games vice 5 if innings limited? Between Martinez, Mikolas, Wacha, Flaherty, Hudson, Gomber, Poncedeleon, Gant, Helsey, Wainwright - pick 8 with best pairings.
Then have to pick 4 between those not in 8 plus Hicks, Miller, Leone, Brebbia, Shreve, Cecil, Gregerson, Mayers, Cabrera, etc. oh yeah, and Reyes.

We have too many “good” arms on the 40 and 25. Not enough excellent. Gonna be interesting how it all shakes out.
The union and players would never go for it for an entire season because the "openers" would never qualify for a win in their starts. It's a meaningless stat, but, much like with saves or RBIs, it is still used by the old timers. Plus it is something that is still considered when salary/trade negotiations or arbitration values come up.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Never forget, good is the enemy of great. That said, there are some great arms on the team.

MDCardsFan
All-Star

Post by MDCardsFan »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Never forget, good is the enemy of great. That said, there are some great arms on the team.

I always heard that better was the enemy of good enough..