Fowler 2019

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Fowler 2019

Post by doe_boy »

Derek Goold wrote this article last week. I hadn't seen any mention of the article so I'm posting it.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 84702.html

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I know Fowler's future is a concern. I've commented on that as have many others.
“I was depressed,” Fowler said. “That’s what I was. I got mad that I let it get to me. I should be mentally stronger than that. I shouldn’t have let it weigh me down as much as it did. But I was. I was depressed. I was depressed.”
He makes a ton of money. He had his worst season ever in 2018. He's at the point of no return age wise.

I hope this is a good sign for him and his life.

FYI, I have dealt with depression my entire life.

Doesn't matter if he ever gets his 'game' back. I just hope he gets his life back.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Fowler 2019

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

If this fan base wants to be “best fans in baseball” then we better support him. Skip Schumaker put up some negative WAR years and gets standing ovations. I don’t care about DeWallet’s funds going to Dex over whatever shady business deal he has going on.

He’s my favorite current Cardinal. Hope he has a great damn year.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

well schumacher IS white so....

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I'd love to see Dexter bounce back and I think he can.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:If this fan base wants to be “best fans in baseball”
I wake up every day thinking about how we can make this happen. #BFIB 4EVER

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:If this fan base wants to be “best fans in baseball” then we better support him. Skip Schumaker put up some negative WAR years and gets standing ovations. I don’t care about DeWallet’s funds going to Dex over whatever shady business deal he has going on.

He’s my favorite current Cardinal. Hope he has a great damn year.

It isn’t always race (though a lot of times it is). Fowler, a far more talented ballplayer, had a year that might best be summed up in the word malaise- by everyone’s account (except yours maybe). Schumaker was a guy of limited skill who was willing to play anywhere and dive into 1st base- even when it mightn’t have been the prudent thing to do. Sure, his constant stepping out to adjust his batting gloves was irritating, but there’s nothing wrong with a fanbase appreciating a hard worker.

No, I’m not making excuses for the racists among us.

dan_yall
Veteran Player

Post by dan_yall »

I don't get the racist fanbase narrative. Outside of Stan, any list of all-time favorite Cardinals is going to be 90% to 100% POC:

Gibson
Brock
Ozzie
Willie
Albert
Yadi

Today on Reddit there's thread of Cardinals fans basking in nostalgic love for 2.2 career WAR So Taguchi.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Yes hall of fame POC players and role players are beloved. Until Yadi speaks his mind on Instagram or until Albert wants money he deserves.

Heyward and Pham gave 5+ WAR seasons and people wanted them gone. I call BS on “there’s no racism” angle.

Bourjos vs. Jay was another microcosm of the racial divide. Jay was clearly better and everyone wanted Bourjos getting more playing time.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

It had nothing to do with dreaming on Bourjos have an elite defensive outfielder profile and a bat that wasn’t much worse at the time? Keep dreaming.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Yes hall of fame POC players and role players are beloved. Until Yadi speaks his mind on Instagram or until Albert wants money he deserves.

Heyward and Pham gave 5+ WAR seasons and people wanted them gone. I call BS on “there’s no racism” angle.

Bourjos vs. Jay was another microcosm of the racial divide. Jay was clearly better and everyone wanted Bourjos getting more playing time.

But players also encounter racism in other cities.....granted, you of course are right as for the BS on "no racism", but I feel it's only a minority of fans who felt that on your examples above. It seems most fans were upset at Heyward & Pham leaving, and I never heard about Jay not being preferred over Bourjos.