Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Tim »

GeddyWrox wrote:
Tim wrote:Tilted the scales at 200lbs this morning

I’m going to use this thread as accountability. I’m feeling lazy, I’ve got reflux and eat like crap.

I leave on a long weekend for the anniversary March 31 ~ 12 weeks.

I want to lose a lb a week. No reason I can’t. 188lbs by 3.31.19
What's your plan? Diet? Exercise? Both?
Both. Sun Basket meals, gluten free, quitting the diet mt dew/ monster. Copious water. Joined the local gym through my insurance and will be hitting the treadmill and light weight lifting

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Sounds good. Good luck. Post results!

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

THIS IS THE YEAR I DO SOME SORT OF WORKOUT IN THE MORNINGS!!!!

My wife hopes to get going to in the AM with me to the gym, so that may be a motivator - but maybe not. When married so long, easy to make your excuses jointly.

Anyways, my aim is to be competitive in my age bracket for trail races. Am signed up for 4, culminating in trail marathon in May - perhaps my fave. I've gotten almost an hour slower since my best run there in 2014-though that year had everything go right weather-wise etc. But still, an hour?

The temptation is to try to mimic what I did back as my younger self - to some degree I will do that - (I did a lot more speed and hill work then). But mainly, have to keep a good rhythm, get the fitness mojo going. This means also avoiding little injuries that keep you from progressing.

For most people, when you think about it, your body knows what you need to eat, and sort of exercise that needs done- you just have to pay attention to the signals, and be objective about yourself.

Excited to start cranking it up. Have a good base going into the new year. Just need to drop some lbs. about 8-10. I don't obsess over weight, but I do find being trim helps in avoiding injuries- there is that much less pounding when running.

Also, need to get that stretching yoga type [expletive] going again. And a mostly beer-free January and eating better quality food.

Then in summer thru fall, hope to enjoy this fitness level with a lot of outdoor rec fun. When you have fitness, the opportunities expand dramatically for fun. When we travel, the toll of traveling itself, and then getting to where-ever you want to go, having the energy to do it - it is all just that much more enjoyable. It really makes my life better mentally - little seems out of reach. My kid suggested some adventures she is reading about in a book - i.e. paddling the Yukon. We may not do that for a while, but you never know. We'll probably do a multi-day paddle somewhere in the Ozarks to start out.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

The fam went to Harry Potter world at Universal Studios this past Wed through Sun. There were two meals where I could tell the meat had some sugar on it, which I couldn't help, (unless I didn't eat there and made everyone feel awkward) but otherwise meat and low carb veggies. It wasn't too hard, and other than one time when my wife got a jacket potato, I didn't feel like I was restricting myself. I did take the tinyest sip of butterbeer, which is pure sugar, but ended up spitting it out. Too sweet. Same with the fire whiskey. Its like they took cheap whiskey and added cinnamon and sugar. Gave it to the wife after a sip.

Basically carried nuts and jerky with me all day.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

It's crazy how much our taste buds adapt after removing sugar. I'm like you...I can take 1 bite of something and instantly knowit has sugar hiding in it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I'm just trying to change habits incrementally. It's working so far.

Work week:

In October, I decided that for breakfast I would only have protein shakes (30g of protein, 1g of sugar, 160 calories).

In November, I started doing this 3 days a week for lunch as well.

My goal is to do this everyday of the week going forward. For me, it's much easier than trying to gauge what I can and can't eat and there's no guess work involved. And, it's pretty cheap about $2.00 each shake.

If I say I'm going to eat lean/clean and go to the café and get salads and chicken breasts, I am not disciplined enough to just do that. It's working so far. We'll see....

After a month of doing this, I plan on incorporating exercise (regularly) in increments.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I've had bouts with eating 'slow carb' with a cheat day that were successful in the past(pretty sure I said as much in this thread), but I'd never been able to stick with it. What I've had a lot more luck with recently is a bit more simple:

- I count calories, and aim to be between 1600-2000/day. I don't get religious about the counting, which helps preserve some peace of mind for me, but others like the specificity
- I try to have all my eating be between 11 AM and 8 PM. This serves two purposes, one is to get the benefits of intermittent fasting by not eating for ~15+ straight hours each day, and the other is by not eating breakfast, eating a 800 or even 1000 calorie meal doesn't blow up my day or force me to starve later
- After about a month of the above, I layered in 20 minutes on my treadmill every day. I've been slowly ramping up the speed, but currently I'm going about 1.7 miles each time. This not only feels good for someone who works from home and often has spells of very low activity, but it burns enough calories to be a bit of a buffer against a bad eating day

With all of those I've had the occasional day where I slipped, not doing the treadmill after having a late soccer game, getting abnormal hunger pangs and going over on calories, etc, but the simplicity has helped me keep the habit. I'm down almost 35 pounds since late September with that process, and it by far feels like the most sustainable diet/exercise regimen I've used. Still a ways to go, the things I actually eat to get those calories are still plenty questionable from a nutritional perspective, for example. But I'm happy with the progress.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yeah, Intermittent Fasting is big in the keto circles now, too. Good for you TT.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

A bit of uptempo cardio (that gets anaerobic) at the end of an all-around gym workout seems to pay off, for my end game, endurance and running.

Tough to do after the muscles are fatiqued from the strength work, especially squats. But that seems to be where these adaptations happen-when attempting to recruit energy to the muscles while already fatuqued, not when I am fresh.* *

For the cardio, I tend to do either 15 min run home, or 10 minutes on elliptical, or 3 x 2min intervals on Jacob's ladder, and/or 3 x 2 jump rope intervals. I find that doing this at the end is kind of a [expletive], is sort of like trying to finish a race, where I want the magic to happen.

**sometimes I need to be fresh for cardio- running, when the objective is to get the turnover/muscle memory adaptions and hopefully speed.

All this so I can stay somewhere in the upper middle pack of races :wink: . I really do enjoy it all, the process and being outside -in spite of the mediocrity.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

JCShutout wrote:The fam went to Harry Potter world at Universal Studios this past Wed through Sun. There were two meals where I could tell the meat had some sugar on it, which I couldn't help, (unless I didn't eat there and made everyone feel awkward) but otherwise meat and low carb veggies. It wasn't too hard, and other than one time when my wife got a jacket potato, I didn't feel like I was restricting myself. I did take the tinyest sip of butterbeer, which is pure sugar, but ended up spitting it out. Too sweet. Same with the fire whiskey. Its like they took cheap whiskey and added cinnamon and sugar. Gave it to the wife after a sip.

Basically carried nuts and jerky with me all day.
We were there the exact same period.

I ate the food unapologetically.

But I also walked 8 hours a day. And lost a pound from Dec. 24-Jan. 2, which is not bad at all for a holiday with a vacation.

Onward I go. Since Thanksgiving, my most recent run at tracking calories and intentional eating, I am down 6 lbs. trying to do about 1.5 per week on average and should be well under 200 by March/April’ish.

Oh yeah, and my son just earned his black belt last month! 14 years old and looking sharp. I should test for blue in February or so. Hips are very tight, so roundhouse continues to be a huge challenge. Any front kicks - front crescent, ax, etc. are head high plus, but I really struggle with turning my foot over on round and getting much over waist high on side kicks. But, working on it...