What are your 2017 goals?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Re: What are your 2017 goals?

Post by Richie Allen »

Weight loss: I've done the calculating like Haltz explains above and not only does that work best but teaches you a lot about what types of foods are most filling and satisfying on a limited calorie diet. The only liquid calories worth it to me is milk. Now I'm too lazy to keep track so the lazy man's version is eat foods that you know are healthy, don't overeat, exercise a bit each day and go to bed slightly hungry. I'm almost back to my college days weight (175-180), which has been the target since ballooning to 245 in my mid-40s.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Richie?!

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

Easy. Better health. Love more.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Diddy wrote:I don't know. I wish I knew. I can't make money in the current farm economy. So I've got a lot of decisions to make. I'd like to find some kind of side job that would allow me to continue farming but making money on the side. We have a five year goal of building a home on our farm, 2017 can go along way toward making that a reality.

I need to get back to enjoying life more. Hectic life's and financial problems have led to us quitting a lot of hobbies and activities that I enjoyed. I don't know how but life has to become more enjoyable.
Well 2018 sucked overall.

Two deaths in my wife’s immediate family, one expected, one a total shock. Several close friends and relatives diagnosed with cancer. Seemed like one of the kids was constantly sick. Wife’s job told her last Friday to expect some big changes in the first quarter of 2019, and none of the rumors sound positive. Dad sold the farm and I couldn’t afford to buy it.

I was marginally profitable farming. Had good/great crops but the market sucks. I picked up some side jobs working for other farmers. That was good $ for the short term but not the long term solution I’m looking for. Should have made my last payment on my cows but couldn’t and had to roll the loan over. I did have some good things happen farming but dad retiring and selling out to the neighbor makes the long term pretty bleak.

Day to day life still needs to become more enjoyable.

We were able to take two nice trips. One out west, and NOLA for thanksgiving. We do have some awesome extended family members that allow us to stay with them on trips and minimize expenses. We are very fortunate to have some amazing extended family members that allow us to do things that others in our financial standing aren’t able to do. ID post a great pick of the kids that we got as a canvas print from our babysitter but I don’t know how to post pics here anymore.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Diddy wrote:
Diddy wrote:I don't know. I wish I knew. I can't make money in the current farm economy. So I've got a lot of decisions to make. I'd like to find some kind of side job that would allow me to continue farming but making money on the side. We have a five year goal of building a home on our farm, 2017 can go along way toward making that a reality.

I need to get back to enjoying life more. Hectic life's and financial problems have led to us quitting a lot of hobbies and activities that I enjoyed. I don't know how but life has to become more enjoyable.
Well 2018 sucked overall.

Two deaths in my wife’s immediate family, one expected, one a total shock. Several close friends and relatives diagnosed with cancer. Seemed like one of the kids was constantly sick. Wife’s job told her last Friday to expect some big changes in the first quarter of 2019, and none of the rumors sound positive. Dad sold the farm and I couldn’t afford to buy it.

I was marginally profitable farming. Had good/great crops but the market sucks. I picked up some side jobs working for other farmers. That was good $ for the short term but not the long term solution I’m looking for. Should have made my last payment on my cows but couldn’t and had to roll the loan over. I did have some good things happen farming but dad retiring and selling out to the neighbor makes the long term pretty bleak.

Day to day life still needs to become more enjoyable.

We were able to take two nice trips. One out west, and NOLA for thanksgiving. We do have some awesome extended family members that allow us to stay with them on trips and minimize expenses. We are very fortunate to have some amazing extended family members that allow us to do things that others in our financial standing aren’t able to do. ID post a great pick of the kids that we got as a canvas print from our babysitter but I don’t know how to post pics here anymore.

Hope 2019 improves, I wish I could tell you how to make day to day life more enjoyable. That is something I really struggle with. I don't understand why but I do. Then I start to wonder what the hell I'm even doing if I'm not enjoying the day to day life.

I think farming is going to be rough again. We have a landlord wanting to sell some land, he wants us to buy it, but at the price he wants there is no way. So, I don't know.

My side business has turned [expletive]. With the farm economy collapse so has the farm model economy. Also the big toy makers seriously cracked down on people making parts to modify their toys and the manufacturers are cutting back on licensing. Leaves things iffy.

I have to get my health under control in 2019. Not one of those I'm going to lose weight things but like it's kind of a tipping point where I have to get in better shape. Wish me luck on that because I like [expletive] food.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

IMADreamer wrote:I have to get my health under control in 2019. Not one of those I'm going to lose weight things but like it's kind of a tipping point where I have to get in better shape. Wish me luck on that because I like [expletive] food.
Same boat. 2018 was a year of increasing bouts of heartburn/acid indigestion. Started once a month, then 2X/month, then weekly then bi-weekly. Got to the point that my diet got stripped way down after a talk w/ my doctor. Basically we took out coffee, spicy food, meat, alcohol entirely for 3 weeks then slowly added things back to see what I could tolerate. As a result I'm about 85% vegetarian now because I have to walk a tightrope of alkaline/acidic food and beverage intake. I haven't had a cheeseburger since September. I cheated and had a slice of pepperoni pizza around Halloween and paid for it. I might have had 2oz of turkey on Thanksgiving. I have to put baking soda in my freaking drinking water to get the pH up above 9.5. I hate it, especially as someone who has always been kind of a gluttonous bon vivant who ate and drank with impunity. 2019 is going to be a year of figuring that diet out and figuring out how to get max protein with minimal acid from it so that I can still play basketball, work out, etc.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

use fake meat or soak tofu in flavor juices. (re)acquire your appreciation of fresh produce. drop booze, smoke weed.

being vegetarian is super easy and you'll feel great. cutting out meat will also make your BMs better...unless you eat an earthy salad.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I need to get to a better place, both physically and mentally/emotionally. 2018 was a tough year - the exercise routine was left behind in Colo, workouts dropped from 5-7x per week to once or twice a month. My diet discipline went out the window. I know part of that was due to the move and the general life upheaval it created but JFC we've been here for over a year now and I'm still using that as an excuse. I feel isolated because we still don't know many folks up here and also due to the family schism that my mom's passing caused. We will be able to get out more now that Mrs Rad is almost fully recovered from her mini-stroke. The family is likely permanently fractured and I need to accept that and turn the page - however it's easier said than done and still causes much emotional strife.

Retirement is scheduled at the end of this year and I need to figure out a plan for life going forward. The first part of 2019 will be spent getting to that "better place" with the second half focused on the future.

I have a lot of work to do.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I was really fortunate with 2018. When I am in a position to be frustrated with the overall direction of the country, racism, and environmental things...that generally means I have it good personally.

Hope to spend more time with people I love in 2019. Less time looking at a screen and even more time outside (sorry GRB, and already deactivated/ havent looked at FB for 1 week -no regrets.)

I do have people I want to help with some situations.

So, I guess I feel fortunate, that most my goals directly for myself are rather whimsical. ( Other than making the 2 year overdue visit for colonoscopy).

And yea- Am going to give blood next week for 1st time in decades.

Corky
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Corky »

Try to do more walking, with the dog of course. Lay off the beer, but not the scotch. Try to exhibit more self control. I used to have a lot, but somewhere along the line I lost a bit. Must be the aging process.